Sushi

  • Rebecca hull
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 19, 2002
      I'm having some difficulty documenting sushi. Can
      anyone help?

      Rebekah

      http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
    • Ron Martino
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 19, 2002
        Rebecca hull wrote:

        > I'm having some difficulty documenting sushi. Can
        > anyone help?
        >
        > Rebekah

        That would be because it appears that most forms of sushi, including
        the best known ones, are from the Tokugawa era.

        Sorry, I like sushi, too, and it seems so quintessentially Japanese,
        but it's post-period.

        Yumitori

        must preside at our assemblies.
        William O. Douglas

        yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 19, 2002
          As I understand it, most forms of sushi are not period. I believe that it was originally done quite late in period as a preservative for fish...vinegared rice and fish were pressed into a mold. Then, either VERY late period/early out of period, chirazush or scattered sushi came into being.

          You might try asking Lady Solveig about this...I think she has some actual references.

          Kiri
          I'm having some difficulty documenting sushi. Can
          anyone help?

          Rebekah

        • Trella Ocelot
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 19, 2002
            Greetings to all, and nihao from a new person on the list!
            Excuse, please, my name...it's my all purpose online identity, and I write fanfics under it.
            Not to beat the expiring horse, but I concur that sushi is not really what we might call period. As I understand it, originally, fish were placed in between layers of rice for the purpose of pickling. Once the fish was pickled, the rice was discarded. (I can't imagine the rice would have been very tasty after that, anyway.) Sometime in early Edo period, someone(s) had the bright idea of not tossing the rice, or of serving the rice flavored with the same pickling solution they used on the fish.
            Hence, sushi.
            Onigiri (rice balls), *are* period. Hmm...need to get some molds for that, make it easier...hopefully I'm going to Philly later in the year...and there's a Chinatown there...hmmmm...
            Some food info for the Heian period can be found at...http://www.taleofmurasaki.com/foodspage.htm
            Purrs!
            Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...> wrote: As I understand it, most forms of sushi are not period. I believe that it was originally done quite late in period as a preservative for fish...vinegared rice and fish were pressed into a mold. Then, either VERY late period/early out of period, chirazush or scattered sushi came into being.

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 19, 2002
              One possible type of sushi which may have existed in late period,
              battera-zushi, named after the portuguese word for ship (bateira), was the
              same pickled fish (mackeral or funa, carp) which was pressed in a three part
              mold with vinegared rice, removed and eaten. It was the tail, which was
              still intact and sticking out of one end of the mold, which gave the
              appearance of the image of a galleon. (circa 1569). This is a traditional
              speculation and I can find no firm dates to justify this.

              Bun'ami

              > Greetings to all, and nihao from a new person on the list!
              > Excuse, please, my name...it's my all purpose online identity, and I write
              > fanfics under it.
              > Not to beat the expiring horse, but I concur that sushi is not really what
              > we might call period. As I understand it, originally, fish were placed in
              > between layers of rice for the purpose of pickling. Once the fish was
              > pickled, the rice was discarded. (I can't imagine the rice would have been
              > very tasty after that, anyway.) Sometime in early Edo period, someone(s)
              > had the bright idea of not tossing the rice, or of serving the rice
              > flavored with the same pickling solution they used on the fish.
              > Hence, sushi.
              > Onigiri (rice balls), *are* period. Hmm...need to get some molds for that,
              > make it easier...hopefully I'm going to Philly later in the year...and
              > there's a Chinatown there...hmmmm...
              > Some food info for the Heian period can be found
              > at...http://www.taleofmurasaki.com/foodspage.htm
              > Purrs!
              > Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...> wrote: As I understand it, most
              > forms of sushi are not period. I believe that it was originally done quite
              > late in period as a preservative for fish...vinegared rice and fish were
              > pressed into a mold. Then, either VERY late period/early out of period,
              > chirazush or scattered sushi came into being.
              >
              > You might try asking Lady Solveig about this...I think she has some actual
              > references.
              >
              > Kiri

            • Nate Ledbetter
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 19, 2002
                --- Trella Ocelot <trellaocelot@...> wrote:
                > Onigiri (rice balls), *are* period. Hmm...need to
                > get some molds for that, make it easier...hopefully
                > I'm going to Philly later in the year...and there's
                > a Chinatown there...hmmmm...
                > Some food info for the Heian period can be found
                > at...http://www.taleofmurasaki.com/foodspage.htm
                > Purrs!

                If you are in Philly, there is an awesome
                Japanese/Korean grocery store just across the NJ
                border in Mt Laurel, I think. Don't remember the name,
                but it's by far the best pure Asian grocery I've
                seen--beats the pants off of Yaohan/Mitsuwa and
                Uwajimaya in that area, but doesn't have the other
                stuff (travel agency, bookstore, liquor store, etc.).

                Shonaigawa

                http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
              • Jamie Norwood
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 19, 2002
                  On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 12:38:20PM -0700, Nate Ledbetter wrote:

                  > --- Trella Ocelot <trellaocelot@...> wrote:
                  > > Onigiri (rice balls), *are* period. Hmm...need to
                  > > get some molds for that, make it easier...hopefully
                  > > I'm going to Philly later in the year...and there's
                  > > a Chinatown there...hmmmm...
                  > > Some food info for the Heian period can be found
                  > > at...http://www.taleofmurasaki.com/foodspage.htm
                  > > Purrs!
                  > >

                  > If you are in Philly, there is an awesome
                  > Japanese/Korean grocery store just across the NJ
                  > border in Mt Laurel, I think. Don't remember the name,
                  > but it's by far the best pure Asian grocery I've
                  > seen--beats the pants off of Yaohan/Mitsuwa and
                  > Uwajimaya in that area, but doesn't have the other
                  > stuff (travel agency, bookstore, liquor store, etc.).
                  >
                  > Shonaigawa

                  We'd be pretty interested in this, if it ended up being closer
                  than Mitsuwa. We rather like Mitsuwa, but it's a pretty hefty drive
                  for groceries. Anyone have more details on this store?

                  Jamie

                • Ii Saburou
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 19, 2002
                    I have not seen sushi documented to period. I have seen the use of
                    vinegar to preserve the sushi documented to around the beginning of the
                    Edo period, which is just outside of period. "Ryori Monogatari" is
                    outside of period, but does include sushi as a method of eating certain
                    types of fish.

                    If they did have it, my guess is that you had to be pretty close to the
                    source in order to keep it fresh enough, but I am not sure.

                    -Ii

                    On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Rebecca hull wrote:

                    > I'm having some difficulty documenting sushi. Can
                    > anyone help?
                    >
                    > Rebekah

                  • Ii Saburou
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 19, 2002
                      On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, Trella Ocelot wrote:

                      > Onigiri (rice balls), *are* period. Hmm...need to get some molds for that, make it easier...hopefully I'm going to Philly later in the year...and there's a Chinatown there...hmmmm...

                      They make molds for onigiri? I always thought it was just done by hand.

                      -Ii
                    • Nate Ledbetter
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 19, 2002

                        > > If you are in Philly, there is an awesome
                        > > Japanese/Korean grocery store just across the NJ
                        > > border in Mt Laurel, I think. Don't remember the
                        > name,
                        > > but it's by far the best pure Asian grocery I've
                        > > seen--beats the pants off of Yaohan/Mitsuwa and
                        > > Uwajimaya in that area, but doesn't have the other
                        > > stuff (travel agency, bookstore, liquor store,
                        > etc.).
                        > >
                        > > Shonaigawa
                        >
                        > We'd be pretty interested in this, if it ended up
                        > being closer
                        > than Mitsuwa. We rather like Mitsuwa, but it's a
                        > pretty hefty drive
                        > for groceries. Anyone have more details on this
                        > store?
                        >
                        > Jamie

                        Like I said, I believe it's in Mt Laurel, across the
                        border from Philly. My wife's relatives live there,
                        and took us when we went. I'll see if I can track down
                        the name. It's actually BEHIND a Korean restaurant
                        (darn good one too) and you can't really see it, since
                        it's also UNDER it--it's on a hill, and you go behind
                        the restaurant and down the hill, and there it is.

                        That was probably more confusing than necessary, but
                        like I said I'll try to track down the name and stuff.
                        Haven't been to any East-Coast Mitsuwa, just the one
                        that used to be a Yaohan in Chicago. Like I said, this
                        place didn't quite have the variety of other things,
                        but for groceries it certainly kicked oshiri!

                        Shonaigawa

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 23, 2002
                              Thanks for the tip! However, I expect I'll be pretty much limited to the downtown and historic Philly area, since I'm going on a tour bus...beats driving all on my own...

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 23, 2002
                                Thanks! It's got lots of useful info of the Heian era, and it's by Lisa Dalby, author of "Geisha", "Kimono", and...guess what..."Tale of Murasaki", which *is* a good book, and I recommend it to any interested in this particular time period. Now, if only she'd give the same treatment to my main babe...errr, gomen, *lady* of the period, Sei Shonagon...
                                Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@...> wrote: This is a great site....thanks so very much for sharing it with us. I've bookmarked it and plan to pass it on to others. What you say seems to correspond with what Ii-dono has found in the manuscript he's translating, though it comes from a much later period, 1643 or so. But this may even be helpful to him as he works on the translation.

                                Thanks again!!!

                              • Fyg Adakar - but my friends call me...
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 25 10:09 PM
                                  In traditional sushi you don't often see American "rolls" as it's mainly
                                  nigiri sushi, sashimi, and hand rolls. I'm not saying they don't do maki
                                  rolls, but the premise is often to use traditional ingredients in maki with
                                  the inclusion of some local ingredients if they fall close enough to
                                  traditional fare.

                                  The traditional chefs that I've spent time with say that when you go for
                                  tradtional sushi there is a specific understanding of traditional fare and
                                  to ask for something otherwise (like a California or Boston roll) would mean
                                  you either question the quality of the ingredients the chef uses or question
                                  tradition - in both cases you would be asked to leave the establishment.

                                  I think the 2 biggie modern day sushi where local ingredients were
                                  incorporated are perilla-leaf and pickled-gourd sushi but in those cases it
                                  was when the chefs took ingredients from existing Japanese cuisine and put
                                  into sushi form.