Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese feast/meal

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 18, 2002
      On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, das11228 wrote:

      > My Lady is preparing several meals for our household while at Pennsic
      > and would like to do asian food one night.
      >
      > Can anyone point me toward a source for roughly period recipes and/or
      > a roughly period menu...? Even a text file or book reference would be
      > greatly appreciated
      >
      > Preferably in English, I have no language skills what so ever.
      > If it weren't numbered, I'd have trouble with the menu at Taco Bell!!

      Assuming the editor doesn't object, I'll try to work more on the Ryori
      Monogatari and see if I can get you some snippets. It is 17th Century
      (although in the notes of the modern translation it quotes some of the
      older sources).

      What I've seen so far--grilled meat is good. Grilled, parched, broiled,
      dried, etc. and then dipped in sake, vinegar, or soy sauce also appears to
      be a method of cooking meat.

      Kamaboko, shiru, nimono, yakimono--these are all types of food I've seen
      so far that you should be able to find modern recipes for, I would think.

      Will stop writing here and get to work on finishing chapter one (apologies
      to Kiri-dono, I just keep having life and SCA rudely interrupting me).

      -Ii
    • Elaine Koogler
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 19, 2002
        There isn't really anything translated that is period Japanese. There is a Chinese manuscript, Ni Tsan's
        'Cloud Forest Hall Collection of Rules for Drinking and Eating', which is available in a magazine, 'Petits Propos au Culinaire', issue #60, with additional commentary in #61. It can be acquired from Acanthus Books (www.acanthus-books.com).

        Also, you can find period Mongol recipes in a book, "A Soup for the Qan", which is a translation of a 14th century manuscript by Dr. Paul Buell and Dr. Eugene Anderson. This is a VERY expensive book, when you can find it. So you might try a nearby college library.

        I do have recipes that I used for an oriental feast which I'd be willing to share. If you are interested, let me know and I can send them to you privately.

        Kiri

        My Lady is preparing several meals for our household while at Pennsic
        and would like to do asian food one night.

        Can anyone point me toward a source for roughly period recipes and/or
        a roughly period menu...? Even a text file or book reference would be
        greatly appreciated

        Preferably in English, I have no language skills what so ever.
        If it weren't numbered, I'd have trouble with the menu at Taco Bell!!

        Douglas the Indecisive

      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 19, 2002
          No problem. I understand completely. So what if I'm sitting here waiting for your translations with bated breath? So what if I go to sleep every night anticipating a mail message from you the next day with more of your work in it? ;-)

          Kiri

        • Markejag@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 19, 2002
            While this is not full of period recipes, the following book does list some
            dates, brief history lessons and gives recipes. It is in English and the
            author is known as an "expert" in Japanese cooking.

            Japanese Cooking, A Simple Art, by Shizuo Tsuji, published by Kodanshi
            International, ISBN: 0-87011-399-2 (USA) and 4-7700-0758-2 (Japan)

            I bought this from, believe it or not, a Japanese woodworking tool place.
            They also sold kitchen knives.

            Bun'ami