Re: [SCA-JML] Digest Number 755

  • Douglas Shannon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2002
      > From: jcruz@...
      >Subject: Re: European heraldry on Japanese garb
      >On 06/09/2002 08:03:43 AM Douglas the Indecisive wrote:
      ><Snipped>
      > >I definately would not want to use a european eraldic shield. To me, that
      > >would just completely take away for the apearance of the garment. We have
      > >squire that basically dropped out of the SCA "because everyone began
      >looking
      > >like mundanes in bathrobes", I would FEEL like a "mundane in a bathrobe"
      >if
      > >I put heraldic shields on Japanese garb!
      >Isn't this somewhat missing the thrust of the "Laurel Kingdoms" argument?

      Could be, but some people take the game step too far...

      >I mean, the idea that we don't have to fully justify Japanese contact with
      >Europe is because we're not *in* Europe, but rather the Laurel Kingdoms.
      >Right?

      That depends on who you talk to I think... because if that were the case,
      then I could cross contaminate my documentation with the arguement of "this
      is the Laurel Kingdoms... I was discussing 13th century such-n-such with a
      16th century so-n-so and came up with this conglomeration..."

      >Well, I've been in the Laurel Kingdoms for about 16 years now . . .
      >I'm guessing I could have picked up a European mannerism or two from all
      >these Gaijin I'm always exposed to.

      This would be the best explanation, but I'd rather present the european in
      as Japanese manner as possible...

      > I've been awarded arms (a few years
      >back and I'm chagrinned to report I still haven't registered any, in part
      >because of this exact kind of discussion), by a European King, and was told
      >to get together with that King's herlad's to determine suitable arms. This
      >points in the direction of using European conventions. If I can find a way
      >to use Japanese style charges, that's to my plus, but unless the dominant
      >paradigm has changed, it's still got to conform to European standards in
      >the end. That's just the way it is in the Laurel Kingdoms. Neh?

      I think the heralds are becoming more savvy to the Japanese heraldry, but
      it's still gets described in a european manner... I think; I'm no herald...

      >Just my two cents.

      An appreciated two cents...

      Douglas the Indecisive