Fukuro Shinai reference

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2002
      Sorry it has taken me so long to look up the reference I was thinking of,
      but here is what I have found.

      According to "Legacies of the Sword"[1] in a note on the fukuro shinai:
      "Kamiizumi Ise-no-kami Hidetsuna is believed to have been the first famous
      swordsman to adopt the bamboo practice sword (fukuro-shinai or hikihada)
      in the late sixteenth century." (Kamiizumi Hidetsuna [aka Nobutsuna] --
      his birth is disputed, "Legacies of the Sword" has it between 1505 and
      1510, while "The Samurai Sourcebook"[2] has it around 1520. "Legacies of
      the sword puts his death around 1577).

      Later Friday writes concerning the practice weapon: "The first documented
      useage of this device was in 1563 by Kamiizumi Ise-no-kami Hidetsugu--who
      is generally credited with having invented it--and his student Hikida
      Bungorou Kagekane in their duels with Yagyuu Muneyoshi. While bamboo
      practice weapons enabled swordsmen to train and compete more
      realistically, with fewer injuries, they did not catch on immediately...
      Miyamoto Musashi, for example, belittled the value of training with shinai
      in the opening passages of the fourth chapter of his Gorin no sho." [I
      have drawn out the long sounds with 'u' as I do not have the neccessary
      character set in my e-mail program]. According to "The Samurai
      Sourcebook", Kamiizumi Hidetsugu was the father of Kamiizumi Hidetsuna.
      Friday references Inagaki Motou's "Kengou meishoubu hyakuwa", 26-31 for a
      detail of the duel between Hidetsugu and Muneyoshi. He goes on to give
      reference to an english account in Sugawara Makoto's "Lives of Master
      Swordsmen", 96-99 which I cannot find at the moment. (Hmmm... makes me
      think I really need to organize my library).

      So, the fukuro shinai is period, but was not widely used. For those who
      don't know, be aware that the fukuro shinai is NOT a modern shinai. For
      one thing, a fukuro shinai is heavier and encased in leather. You should
      be able to find them, although I'm not entirely sure where.

      -Ii

      [1]"Legacies of the Sword: The Kashima-Shinryu and Samurai Martial
      Culture", by Karl F. Friday with Seki Humitake; (c)1997; University of
      Hawai'i Press, Honolulu, Hawai'i; ISBN 0-8248-1847-4(alk. paper) -- ISBN
      0-8248-1879-2(pbk. : alk. paper)

      [2]"The Samurai Sourcebook", by Stephen Turnbull; (c) 1998; Cassell & Co,
      London; ISBN 1-85409-523-4