Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Unusual question for Japanese Language buffs

    Message 1 of 11 , May 8 1:42 PM
      daviem01 wrote:

      > --- In sca-jml@y..., "rujoking99" <rujoking99@m...> wrote:
      > >
      > > PS: What is the Japanese name for a Noh flute? And does
      > > anyone know a source for cheap but servicable Shakuhachi?
      >
      > I believe a Noh flute is called a "fue" (please excuse the horrendous
      > spelling, my romaji is rusty!)
      > I saw one in an antique shop in Kamakura (still kicking myself for
      > not getting it) and that's what the proprietor called it...

      "Fue" means "flute" -- just "flute." (Well, Japanese flute. Western style
      flutes are called "furuuto.")

      Think of it as the English word "flute" or "recorder." There's a general
      *type* of instrument that we all picture. Beyond that, there are terms that
      specify what type (like "alto recorder" or "tenor recorder" for example).