Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Kesa

    Message 1 of 19 , May 7, 2002
      Mokurai wrote:

      > Worth noting that in the Hojo Soun picture, he is also wearing what seems to
      > be a koromo - the priest's black robe. I have seen several portraits of
      > sengoku daimyo in this sort of get-up. Often wearing fancy kosode and hakama
      > under a koromo, but also often wearing full monk robes. Since most of these
      > are post-death memorial portraits, I guess one could argue whether or not
      > they would have regularly worn the full vestments daily. I suppose that
      > would depend on how decadent they were. ^_~ Effingham?

      Good point. Unless we find some diaries saying "I decided to wear XYZ today" or
      "Ed-no-suke was wearing XYZ" it's going to be hard to be sure. We can go by
      some portraiture, but the best sources seem to be screen paintings and the
      like, which purport to show actual slices of life rather than formal (or even
      the stylized imagery of) portraiture.