Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese Tournaments

  • Ash Smith
    Message 1 of 11 , May 7, 2002
      Hum, well I would think that a Japanese themed tourney would be shield-less.

      --Ash

      It is ironic that those who most passionately advocate destruction of the
      enemy, often are at the highest loss to explain why they themselves have the
      right to survive.
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 11 , May 7, 2002
        On Tue, 7 May 2002, yamashiro_kato wrote:

        > I am planning on hosting a Novice Tourney at this year's Lillies
        > (June 7-16) and because my personna is Japanese, I would like to have
        > a Japanese themed tournament. I was wondering if anyone in this
        > honorable list could provide some ideas on either types of period
        > tournaments (if any) or tournaments with a Japanese theme. I don't
        > even know if this was even done like in Europe or not. I know of
        > some archery tournaments, but I am not familiar with fighting.
        >
        > I want to make it as fun and different as possible. Just another
        > double-elim tourney is fine, but boring to a certain degree.

        Well, the Japanese didn't really do tourneys... although they did do
        duels. You could have a series of duels fought, making each opponent
        challenge the other loudly and vocally (heck, give an award for the best
        challenge as well).

        Another possibility is to have each opponent shout out their legacy before
        the match. "I am Ii Katsumori of the Barony of Steirbach. I have proven
        myself in the bitter cold of the north against the barbarian hordes.
        Fight me!" or something similar.

        For archery a running dog target would be interesting. My suggestion
        would be to rig a target on a wire, between two uprights. Then, have
        people who are safely covered from arrow fire, pull on the wire to move
        the target quickly one way, then the other. It would certainly make it
        more difficult, I think.

        Saying 'no shields' is a common one.

        A 'capture the flag' team tournament might be interesting. My thought
        here is that each team consists of two people (both in armor)--the
        fighter, and a standard bearer. The standard bearer is holding the
        standard of the fighter (and maybe a single-handed weapon, although the
        standard should be at least 7 feet high, I would think). The first person
        whose standard falls to the ground loses the match (this could be from the
        bearer dropping it, or from him being killed. Heck, the warrior could
        even try to keep it up after its bearer's death, although it would make
        fighting difficult).

        You could have judged matches. That is, the blows have to be judged as
        good by a trio of volunteer judges (knights if you have them). This is
        more of a modern kendo thing, but it would be different from the typical
        fight.

        All just ideas--not neccessarily Japanese, but with elements of Japanese
        fighting in them.

        Message 3 of 11 , May 7, 2002
          yamashiro_kato wrote:

          > Konnichiwa.
          >
          > I am planning on hosting a Novice Tourney at this year's Lillies
          > (June 7-16) and because my personna is Japanese, I would like to have
          > a Japanese themed tournament. I was wondering if anyone in this
          > honorable list could provide some ideas on either types of period
          > tournaments (if any) or tournaments with a Japanese theme. I don't
          > even know if this was even done like in Europe or not. I know of
          > some archery tournaments, but I am not familiar with fighting.
          >
          > I want to make it as fun and different as possible. Just another
          > double-elim tourney is fine, but boring to a certain degree.

          I've been thinking about hosting one at Pennsic. I might get around to it if
          I can ever get the time to prepare properly...

          The only problem we'd have, of course, is that the Japanese didn't have
          tourneys in the same context that the West did, so we're creating a
          half-and-half sort of thing...

          Message 4 of 11 , May 7, 2002
            Ii Saburou wrote:

            > Well, the Japanese didn't really do tourneys... although they did do
            > duels. You could have a series of duels fought, making each opponent
            > challenge the other loudly and vocally (heck, give an award for the best
            > challenge as well).
            >
            > Another possibility is to have each opponent shout out their legacy before
            > the match. "I am Ii Katsumori of the Barony of Steirbach. I have proven
            > myself in the bitter cold of the north against the barbarian hordes.
            > Fight me!" or something similar.

            Oooh, I *like* that one!!!

            > For archery a running dog target would be interesting. My suggestion
            > would be to rig a target on a wire, between two uprights. Then, have
            > people who are safely covered from arrow fire, pull on the wire to move
            > the target quickly one way, then the other. It would certainly make it
            > more difficult, I think.

            Yeah, but the archers should be on rocking sawhorses, too... <G>

            I once proposed a mounted tournament where knights rode their squires into
            battle. We could have something similar.... <G>

            > Saying 'no shields' is a common one.

            But required. Of course, if someone has a gunsen (Hi, Kuji-dono! <G>)...

            > A 'capture the flag' team tournament might be interesting. My thought
            > here is that each team consists of two people (both in armor)--the
            > fighter, and a standard bearer. The standard bearer is holding the
            > standard of the fighter (and maybe a single-handed weapon, although the
            > standard should be at least 7 feet high, I would think). The first person
            > whose standard falls to the ground loses the match (this could be from the
            > bearer dropping it, or from him being killed. Heck, the warrior could
            > even try to keep it up after its bearer's death, although it would make
            > fighting difficult).

            I like that. There's also the melee version of "sacred banner" thing they do
            at Sôma: An archer shoots an arrow UP up up, to which is attached a sacred
            banner. Whoever can get, retrieve, and KEEP the thing to return it to the
            officiant wins. The prize in Japan is the blessing from the kami of the
            shrine, but hey... sake works. <G>

            Effingham
          • Park McKellop
            Message 5 of 11 , May 7, 2002
              Arrow w streamer version of bushkazi!
              I like it.
              Alcyoneus/Kondei Ichimusai Niten
              "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...> wrote: I like that. There's also the melee version of "sacred banner" thing they do
              at S�ma: An archer shoots an arrow UP up up, to which is attached a sacred
              banner. Whoever can get, retrieve, and KEEP the thing to return it to the
              officiant wins. The prize in Japan is the blessing from the kami of the
              shrine, but hey... sake works. <G>

              Effingham

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Elaine Koogler
              Message 6 of 11 , May 8, 2002
                I know it's a cop-out, but what we've done in the past is to do a melee-style battle, restricted to weapons forms compatible to Japanese forms. We've also included a competition wherein the combatants are asked to introduce themselves as they might have done before a single combat in a battle...you know, boasting of their lineage, teachers, etc as part of a challenge. We give an award for the best challenge!

                Kiri
                I am planning on hosting a Novice Tourney at this year's Lillies
                (June 7-16) and because my personna is Japanese, I would like to have
                a Japanese themed tournament. I was wondering if anyone in this
                honorable list could provide some ideas on either types of period
                tournaments (if any) or tournaments with a Japanese theme. I don't
                even know if this was even done like in Europe or not. I know of
                some archery tournaments, but I am not familiar with fighting.

                I want to make it as fun and different as possible. Just another
                double-elim tourney is fine, but boring to a certain degree.

                Domo arrigato.

                -Kato

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • lord_aharon_of_talkon
                Message 7 of 11 , May 14, 2002
                  I've run two Japanese Tourneys over here in Caid...last year was our
                  last one, and we are changing it to "Marco Polo" sort of theme, to
                  open it up more to other cultures. Unfortunately, we don't have a
                  lot of interest in Japanese stuff here, but I am trying!

                  Altavia hosted 19 years of Japanese Tourneys, and they had everything
                  from a mini-city and a giant "godzilla" foot to crush the city, a
                  serious "quest" for honor (camping event cum role play cum mystery).
                  We've had scenarios, like evil bad guys attacking good guys in bath
                  house so you have to hold your towel AND fight, ropes being thrown
                  (like they were fire and being attacked by bad evil people)...just
                  lots of options.

                  As far as other activities, we've had sumo (draw a circle and the
                  first person that pushes the other over the line, wins), chopstick
                  dexterity contest, sumi ink demos, origami, japanese luncheons, Iron
                  Chef competitions...just a TON of stuff.

                  Western Seas, a Barony of Caid's in Hawaii, does Japanese tourney as
                  well, and I think they have fake lists, like people will make up fun
                  japanese names and most creative wins a prize...then there is make
                  your own zen garden out of the surroundings. Bring asian items and
                  have people create stories out of them.

                  I mean...there is just a TON of things you can do. I'm more into the
                  arts side, so I have a lot of A&S ideas and projects. I bought some
                  great books from Little Tokyo over here that cover projects as well
                  and will give you some great ideas.

                  Hopefully these helped you!

                  --Raku

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 15, 2002
                    One artsy-fartsy sort of thing that I picked up at a demo at the Textile Museum is dyeing silk....get some fairly inexpensive silk in white and tie die it in Kool-aid. Yes, it really does work. You supply things like rubber bands, string, those clip-type paper clips, marbles, little stones, toothpicks...all of which, when tied up in the silk will produce different resist effects. Be sure you have a tub (we used cheap plastic trashcans and/or dishpans) to rinse the cloth in. I can send you complete details, if you're interested. It was a howling success...we meant it as an activity for children, but couldn't keep the adults away!!

                    Kiri
                    I've run two Japanese Tourneys over here in Caid...last year was our
                    last one, and we are changing it to "Marco Polo" sort of theme, to
                    open it up more to other cultures. Unfortunately, we don't have a
                    lot of interest in Japanese stuff here, but I am trying!

                    Altavia hosted 19 years of Japanese Tourneys, and they had everything
                    from a mini-city and a giant "godzilla" foot to crush the city, a
                    serious "quest" for honor (camping event cum role play cum mystery).
                    We've had scenarios, like evil bad guys attacking good guys in bath
                    house so you have to hold your towel AND fight, ropes being thrown
                    (like they were fire and being attacked by bad evil people)...just
                    lots of options.

                    As far as other activities, we've had sumo (draw a circle and the
                    first person that pushes the other over the line, wins), chopstick
                    dexterity contest, sumi ink demos, origami, japanese luncheons, Iron
                    Chef competitions...just a TON of stuff.

                    Western Seas, a Barony of Caid's in Hawaii, does Japanese tourney as
                    well, and I think they have fake lists, like people will make up fun
                    japanese names and most creative wins a prize...then there is make
                    your own zen garden out of the surroundings. Bring asian items and
                    have people create stories out of them.

                    I mean...there is just a TON of things you can do. I'm more into the
                    arts side, so I have a lot of A&S ideas and projects. I bought some
                    great books from Little Tokyo over here that cover projects as well
                    and will give you some great ideas.

                    Hopefully these helped you!

                    --Raku

                  • ronbroberg
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 15, 2002
                      Honorable Lord and Ladies,
                      Onegaishimasu:

                      If I understand the words correctly, a "gunsen" would be a military
                      folding fan and the "gumbai uchiwa" any non-folding military fan.

                      I have a description of the gumbai uchiwa from a modern Katori Shinto
                      Ryu book (The Deity and the Sword, vol3, Risuke Otake) that indicates
                      that it was made with a heavy leather 'fan' (and more than a little
                      magic). I have read a description (possibly apocryphal) of Takeda
                      Shingen's field command being overrun whereupon he was forced to
                      defend seven sword strikes with his fan. A portrait of Takeda Shingen
                      shows him with an uchiwa.
                      http://digilander.iol.it/savonakendo/furen.html ( I note the
                      constellation on one of the fans, similar to the description by Otake)

                      Are there other references to the period use of fans in combat that
                      you can supply me with?

                      (I have probably asked this before, it is one of my perenial
                      questions, in which case I beg your indulgence)

                      Gratefully Yours
                      --otagiri
                    • Debbie Strub
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 15, 2002
                        I'd love to have the complete details! I've been wanting to teach a basic
                        shibori class out here (An Tir) for a long time but cringed at having to
                        haul around all the dyestuffs (I like to use Procion because you can use
                        cold water), fixers, and other weird chemicals and huge dye vats. This
                        smaller scale using Kool-Aid sounds perfect!

                        YIS,

                        Murakami Tsuruko