Japanese Tournaments

  • yamashiro_kato
    Message 1 of 11 , May 7 1:41 PM
      Konnichiwa.

      I am planning on hosting a Novice Tourney at this year's Lillies
      (June 7-16) and because my personna is Japanese, I would like to have
      a Japanese themed tournament. I was wondering if anyone in this
      honorable list could provide some ideas on either types of period
      tournaments (if any) or tournaments with a Japanese theme. I don't
      even know if this was even done like in Europe or not. I know of
      some archery tournaments, but I am not familiar with fighting.

      I want to make it as fun and different as possible. Just another
      double-elim tourney is fine, but boring to a certain degree.

      Domo arrigato.

      -Kato
    • Ash Smith
      Message 2 of 11 , May 7 2:10 PM
        Hum, well I would think that a Japanese themed tourney would be shield-less.

        --Ash

        It is ironic that those who most passionately advocate destruction of the
        enemy, often are at the highest loss to explain why they themselves have the
        right to survive.
      • Ii Saburou
        Message 3 of 11 , May 7 3:13 PM
          On Tue, 7 May 2002, yamashiro_kato wrote:

          > I am planning on hosting a Novice Tourney at this year's Lillies
          > (June 7-16) and because my personna is Japanese, I would like to have
          > a Japanese themed tournament. I was wondering if anyone in this
          > honorable list could provide some ideas on either types of period
          > tournaments (if any) or tournaments with a Japanese theme. I don't
          > even know if this was even done like in Europe or not. I know of
          > some archery tournaments, but I am not familiar with fighting.
          >
          > I want to make it as fun and different as possible. Just another
          > double-elim tourney is fine, but boring to a certain degree.

          Well, the Japanese didn't really do tourneys... although they did do
          duels. You could have a series of duels fought, making each opponent
          challenge the other loudly and vocally (heck, give an award for the best
          challenge as well).

          Another possibility is to have each opponent shout out their legacy before
          the match. "I am Ii Katsumori of the Barony of Steirbach. I have proven
          myself in the bitter cold of the north against the barbarian hordes.
          Fight me!" or something similar.

          For archery a running dog target would be interesting. My suggestion
          would be to rig a target on a wire, between two uprights. Then, have
          people who are safely covered from arrow fire, pull on the wire to move
          the target quickly one way, then the other. It would certainly make it
          more difficult, I think.

          Saying 'no shields' is a common one.

          A 'capture the flag' team tournament might be interesting. My thought
          here is that each team consists of two people (both in armor)--the
          fighter, and a standard bearer. The standard bearer is holding the
          standard of the fighter (and maybe a single-handed weapon, although the
          standard should be at least 7 feet high, I would think). The first person
          whose standard falls to the ground loses the match (this could be from the
          bearer dropping it, or from him being killed. Heck, the warrior could
          even try to keep it up after its bearer's death, although it would make
          fighting difficult).

          You could have judged matches. That is, the blows have to be judged as
          good by a trio of volunteer judges (knights if you have them). This is
          more of a modern kendo thing, but it would be different from the typical
          fight.

          All just ideas--not neccessarily Japanese, but with elements of Japanese
          fighting in them.

          Message 4 of 11 , May 7 5:57 PM
            yamashiro_kato wrote:

            > Konnichiwa.
            >
            > I am planning on hosting a Novice Tourney at this year's Lillies
            > (June 7-16) and because my personna is Japanese, I would like to have
            > a Japanese themed tournament. I was wondering if anyone in this
            > honorable list could provide some ideas on either types of period
            > tournaments (if any) or tournaments with a Japanese theme. I don't
            > even know if this was even done like in Europe or not. I know of
            > some archery tournaments, but I am not familiar with fighting.
            >
            > I want to make it as fun and different as possible. Just another
            > double-elim tourney is fine, but boring to a certain degree.

            I've been thinking about hosting one at Pennsic. I might get around to it if
            I can ever get the time to prepare properly...

            The only problem we'd have, of course, is that the Japanese didn't have
            tourneys in the same context that the West did, so we're creating a
            half-and-half sort of thing...

            Message 5 of 11 , May 7 6:03 PM
              Ii Saburou wrote:

              > Well, the Japanese didn't really do tourneys... although they did do
              > duels. You could have a series of duels fought, making each opponent
              > challenge the other loudly and vocally (heck, give an award for the best
              > challenge as well).
              >
              > Another possibility is to have each opponent shout out their legacy before
              > the match. "I am Ii Katsumori of the Barony of Steirbach. I have proven
              > myself in the bitter cold of the north against the barbarian hordes.
              > Fight me!" or something similar.

              Oooh, I *like* that one!!!

              > For archery a running dog target would be interesting. My suggestion
              > would be to rig a target on a wire, between two uprights. Then, have
              > people who are safely covered from arrow fire, pull on the wire to move
              > the target quickly one way, then the other. It would certainly make it
              > more difficult, I think.

              Yeah, but the archers should be on rocking sawhorses, too... <G>

              I once proposed a mounted tournament where knights rode their squires into
              battle. We could have something similar.... <G>

              > Saying 'no shields' is a common one.

              But required. Of course, if someone has a gunsen (Hi, Kuji-dono! <G>)...

              > A 'capture the flag' team tournament might be interesting. My thought
              > here is that each team consists of two people (both in armor)--the
              > fighter, and a standard bearer. The standard bearer is holding the
              > standard of the fighter (and maybe a single-handed weapon, although the
              > standard should be at least 7 feet high, I would think). The first person
              > whose standard falls to the ground loses the match (this could be from the
              > bearer dropping it, or from him being killed. Heck, the warrior could
              > even try to keep it up after its bearer's death, although it would make
              > fighting difficult).

              I like that. There's also the melee version of "sacred banner" thing they do
              at Sôma: An archer shoots an arrow UP up up, to which is attached a sacred
              banner. Whoever can get, retrieve, and KEEP the thing to return it to the
              officiant wins. The prize in Japan is the blessing from the kami of the
              shrine, but hey... sake works. <G>

              Effingham
            • Park McKellop
              Message 6 of 11 , May 7 9:36 PM
                Arrow w streamer version of bushkazi!
                I like it.
                Alcyoneus/Kondei Ichimusai Niten
                "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...> wrote: I like that. There's also the melee version of "sacred banner" thing they do
                at S�ma: An archer shoots an arrow UP up up, to which is attached a sacred
                banner. Whoever can get, retrieve, and KEEP the thing to return it to the
                officiant wins. The prize in Japan is the blessing from the kami of the
                shrine, but hey... sake works. <G>

                Effingham

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • Elaine Koogler
                Message 7 of 11 , May 8 4:50 AM
                  I know it's a cop-out, but what we've done in the past is to do a melee-style battle, restricted to weapons forms compatible to Japanese forms. We've also included a competition wherein the combatants are asked to introduce themselves as they might have done before a single combat in a battle...you know, boasting of their lineage, teachers, etc as part of a challenge. We give an award for the best challenge!

                  Kiri
                  I am planning on hosting a Novice Tourney at this year's Lillies
                  (June 7-16) and because my personna is Japanese, I would like to have
                  a Japanese themed tournament. I was wondering if anyone in this
                  honorable list could provide some ideas on either types of period
                  tournaments (if any) or tournaments with a Japanese theme. I don't
                  even know if this was even done like in Europe or not. I know of
                  some archery tournaments, but I am not familiar with fighting.

                  I want to make it as fun and different as possible. Just another
                  double-elim tourney is fine, but boring to a certain degree.

                  Domo arrigato.

                  -Kato

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                • lord_aharon_of_talkon
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 14 3:23 PM
                    I've run two Japanese Tourneys over here in Caid...last year was our
                    last one, and we are changing it to "Marco Polo" sort of theme, to
                    open it up more to other cultures. Unfortunately, we don't have a
                    lot of interest in Japanese stuff here, but I am trying!

                    Altavia hosted 19 years of Japanese Tourneys, and they had everything
                    from a mini-city and a giant "godzilla" foot to crush the city, a
                    serious "quest" for honor (camping event cum role play cum mystery).
                    We've had scenarios, like evil bad guys attacking good guys in bath
                    house so you have to hold your towel AND fight, ropes being thrown
                    (like they were fire and being attacked by bad evil people)...just
                    lots of options.

                    As far as other activities, we've had sumo (draw a circle and the
                    first person that pushes the other over the line, wins), chopstick
                    dexterity contest, sumi ink demos, origami, japanese luncheons, Iron
                    Chef competitions...just a TON of stuff.

                    Western Seas, a Barony of Caid's in Hawaii, does Japanese tourney as
                    well, and I think they have fake lists, like people will make up fun
                    japanese names and most creative wins a prize...then there is make
                    your own zen garden out of the surroundings. Bring asian items and
                    have people create stories out of them.

                    I mean...there is just a TON of things you can do. I'm more into the
                    arts side, so I have a lot of A&S ideas and projects. I bought some
                    great books from Little Tokyo over here that cover projects as well
                    and will give you some great ideas.

                    Hopefully these helped you!

                    --Raku

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 15 1:17 PM
                      One artsy-fartsy sort of thing that I picked up at a demo at the Textile Museum is dyeing silk....get some fairly inexpensive silk in white and tie die it in Kool-aid. Yes, it really does work. You supply things like rubber bands, string, those clip-type paper clips, marbles, little stones, toothpicks...all of which, when tied up in the silk will produce different resist effects. Be sure you have a tub (we used cheap plastic trashcans and/or dishpans) to rinse the cloth in. I can send you complete details, if you're interested. It was a howling success...we meant it as an activity for children, but couldn't keep the adults away!!

                      Kiri
                      I've run two Japanese Tourneys over here in Caid...last year was our
                      last one, and we are changing it to "Marco Polo" sort of theme, to
                      open it up more to other cultures. Unfortunately, we don't have a
                      lot of interest in Japanese stuff here, but I am trying!

                      Altavia hosted 19 years of Japanese Tourneys, and they had everything
                      from a mini-city and a giant "godzilla" foot to crush the city, a
                      serious "quest" for honor (camping event cum role play cum mystery).
                      We've had scenarios, like evil bad guys attacking good guys in bath
                      house so you have to hold your towel AND fight, ropes being thrown
                      (like they were fire and being attacked by bad evil people)...just
                      lots of options.

                      As far as other activities, we've had sumo (draw a circle and the
                      first person that pushes the other over the line, wins), chopstick
                      dexterity contest, sumi ink demos, origami, japanese luncheons, Iron
                      Chef competitions...just a TON of stuff.

                      Western Seas, a Barony of Caid's in Hawaii, does Japanese tourney as
                      well, and I think they have fake lists, like people will make up fun
                      japanese names and most creative wins a prize...then there is make
                      your own zen garden out of the surroundings. Bring asian items and
                      have people create stories out of them.

                      I mean...there is just a TON of things you can do. I'm more into the
                      arts side, so I have a lot of A&S ideas and projects. I bought some
                      great books from Little Tokyo over here that cover projects as well
                      and will give you some great ideas.

                      Hopefully these helped you!

                      --Raku

                    • ronbroberg
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 15 3:24 PM
                        Honorable Lord and Ladies,
                        Onegaishimasu:

                        If I understand the words correctly, a "gunsen" would be a military
                        folding fan and the "gumbai uchiwa" any non-folding military fan.

                        I have a description of the gumbai uchiwa from a modern Katori Shinto
                        Ryu book (The Deity and the Sword, vol3, Risuke Otake) that indicates
                        that it was made with a heavy leather 'fan' (and more than a little
                        magic). I have read a description (possibly apocryphal) of Takeda
                        Shingen's field command being overrun whereupon he was forced to
                        defend seven sword strikes with his fan. A portrait of Takeda Shingen
                        shows him with an uchiwa.
                        http://digilander.iol.it/savonakendo/furen.html ( I note the
                        constellation on one of the fans, similar to the description by Otake)

                        Are there other references to the period use of fans in combat that
                        you can supply me with?

                        (I have probably asked this before, it is one of my perenial
                        questions, in which case I beg your indulgence)

                        Gratefully Yours
                        --otagiri
                      • Debbie Strub
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 15 6:28 PM
                          I'd love to have the complete details! I've been wanting to teach a basic
                          shibori class out here (An Tir) for a long time but cringed at having to
                          haul around all the dyestuffs (I like to use Procion because you can use
                          cold water), fixers, and other weird chemicals and huge dye vats. This
                          smaller scale using Kool-Aid sounds perfect!

                          YIS,

                          Murakami Tsuruko