Re: [SCA-JML] Unusual question for Japanese Language buffs

  • Nate Ledbetter
    Message 1 of 11 , May 7, 2002
      --- rujoking99@... wrote:
      > I was looking at the kanji for Kinoshita, or Ki -
      > Shita. Tree, the
      > Underneath of. Then I thought of Shitaki mushrooms.
      > Shita - Ki...
      > Underneath Tree. Are these both correct
      > etymologies?

      No. It's "Shiitake", not "Shitaki". The "take" is the
      same kanji for "kinoko", mushroom. "Shii" is a kanji
      that at the moment I can't find a meaning for other
      than "chinquapan", which I have no idea what that
      means.

      > I also like how the kanji for "mori" meaning forest,
      > uses three "ki" or
      > tree kanji.

      What do you mean? It's a triangle of trees--one "ki"
      on top of two "ki"...2 "ki" is "hayashi", or woods. 3
      "ki" must then be a forest, right?

      Shonaigawa

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Nate Ledbetter
      Message 2 of 11 , May 7, 2002
        > Anyway, back to more important things....
        > Kinoshita Yoshimori, "The Underneath of the Tree,
        > Good Fortune Forest"

        Not to burst your bubble more, but I believe you may
        want to check with Effingham-dono or Ii-dono on your
        nanori...I don't think the "mori" in nanori is the
        same "mori" used for "forest"...not sure what it is,
        but I know at least Sakuma Nobumori used a much
        different kanji.

        Effingham-dono?

        http://health.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , May 7, 2002
          rujoking99@... wrote:

          > I was looking at the kanji for Kinoshita, or Ki - Shita. Tree, the
          > Underneath of.

          You left out the "no" (" 's "): Ki-no-shita, "Tree's Under", or indeed,
          "Under(neath of) the tree"

          > Then I thought of Shitaki mushrooms. Shita - Ki...
          > Underneath Tree.

          Um, no. Two mistakes. It's shiitake, not shitaki. The kanji used are "shii"
          (oak) and "take" (mushroom).

          > Are these both correct etymologies?

          You're batting .500. <G>

          > I also like how the kanji for "mori" meaning forest, uses three "ki" or
          > tree kanji.

          I saw a book once that recommended six "ki" (two columns, three "ki" lined
          vertically) to be read for "janguru" (jungle)...

          > Anyway, back to more important things....
          > Kinoshita Yoshimori, "The Underneath of the Tree, Good Fortune Forest"

          Sorry, wrong mori. In given names, the "mori" is "to build up, luxuriate
          in".

          Message 4 of 11 , May 7, 2002
            Nate Ledbetter wrote:

            > > Anyway, back to more important things....
            > > Kinoshita Yoshimori, "The Underneath of the Tree,
            > > Good Fortune Forest"
            > >

            > Not to burst your bubble more, but I believe you may
            > want to check with Effingham-dono or Ii-dono on your
            > nanori...I don't think the "mori" in nanori is the
            > same "mori" used for "forest"...not sure what it is,
            > but I know at least Sakuma Nobumori used a much
            > different kanji.
            >
            > Effingham-dono?

            Bingo! (not to be confused with the province of the same name in the
            San'yodo... <G>)

            Effingham
          • Nate Ledbetter
            Message 5 of 11 , May 7, 2002

              > Bingo! (not to be confused with the province of the
              > same name in the
              > San'yodo... <G>)
              >

              > Effingham

              Ah...I hear Bingo is quite nice this time of
              year...LOL

              Shonaigawa

              http://health.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 11 , May 7, 2002
                Nate Ledbetter wrote:

                > --- "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Bingo! (not to be confused with the province of the
                > > same name in the
                > > San'yodo... <G>)
                > >

                > > Effingham
                > >

                > Ah...I hear Bingo is quite nice this time of
                > year...LOL

                Yeah, the summers are warm and you don't need your beach blanket.

                Effingham
              • rujoking99
                Message 7 of 11 , May 8, 2002
                  Konbanwa... or is it Konnichiwa? What time is it anyway?

                  > You left out the "no" (" 's "): Ki-no-shita, "Tree's Under", or
                  indeed,
                  > "Under(neath of) the tree"
                  Yeah, a while back I was thinking of the "no," which implied that it
                  wasn't "from under the trees" as I thought, but technically, "The
                  underneath (noun) of the tree." Interesting...

                  > > Then I thought of Shitaki mushrooms. Shita - Ki...
                  > > Underneath Tree.
                  > > Are these both correct etymologies?
                  >
                  > You're batting .500. <G>
                  Doh! Of course, the sounds "Shii - Take" and "Shita-ki" can be
                  made remarkably similar by non-native speakers, when the
                  difference is actually quite important. I'll try to go with the
                  spelling of a dictionary rather than that of a 2 minute search on
                  google for the wrong spelling.

                  > I saw a book once that recommended six "ki" (two columns,
                  three "ki" lined
                  > vertically) to be read for "janguru" (jungle)...
                  That is really cool... Are kanji made up today for things like
                  "computer" and "cell phone?" It reminds me of the fluidity of
                  German, where if you want to make a new word, you add old
                  ones together.

                  > Sorry, wrong mori. In given names, the "mori" is "to build up,
                  luxuriate
                  > in".

                  Is that "mo-ri" or "moh-ri?" I wish there were some way to put
                  lines over the vowells, but ahh well, such is the web. Well, an
                  average of .50, with a strike in overtime isn't that bad... <G> If
                  only my community college offered Japanese!

                  Kinoshita Yoshimori, currently luxuriating in good fortune

                  PS: What is the Japanese name for a Noh flute? And does
                  anyone know a source for cheap but servicable Shakuhachi?
                • daviem01
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 8, 2002
                    --- In sca-jml@y..., "rujoking99" <rujoking99@m...> wrote:

                    > PS: What is the Japanese name for a Noh flute? And does
                    > anyone know a source for cheap but servicable Shakuhachi?

                    I believe a Noh flute is called a "fue" (please excuse the horrendous
                    spelling, my romaji is rusty!)
                    I saw one in an antique shop in Kamakura (still kicking myself for
                    not getting it) and that's what the proprietor called it...

                    Aine
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 8, 2002
                      rujoking99 wrote:

                      > > I saw a book once that recommended six "ki" (two columns,
                      > three "ki" lined
                      > > vertically) to be read for "janguru" (jungle)...
                      > That is really cool... Are kanji made up today for things like
                      > "computer" and "cell phone?" It reminds me of the fluidity of
                      > German, where if you want to make a new word, you add old
                      > ones together.

                      No, it was in a book on playing with kanji, making games and fake kanji.
                      Adding words together is stringing kanji together. The idea of "creating new
                      kanji" today is like creating a new letter for German, not putting words
                      together, and expecting everyone to know what it is.

                      > > Sorry, wrong mori. In given names, the "mori" is "to build up,
                      > luxuriate
                      > > in".
                      >
                      > Is that "mo-ri" or "moh-ri?" I wish there were some way to put
                      > lines over the vowells, but ahh well, such is the web. Well, an
                      > average of .50, with a strike in overtime isn't that bad... <G> If
                      > only my community college offered Japanese!

                      Mo-ri. On the website, if you don't see a circumflex (standing in for a
                      macron) it's a short vowel. Likewise here, if there's doubt, we'll either
                      put in the circuflex/macron or give an alternate spelling with a U (e.g.,
                      "the Mori family of Chugoku [Mouri] was not the same as the Mori family of
                      Kagoshima [Mori].").

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 8, 2002
                        daviem01 wrote:

                        > --- In sca-jml@y..., "rujoking99" <rujoking99@m...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > PS: What is the Japanese name for a Noh flute? And does
                        > > anyone know a source for cheap but servicable Shakuhachi?
                        >
                        > I believe a Noh flute is called a "fue" (please excuse the horrendous
                        > spelling, my romaji is rusty!)
                        > I saw one in an antique shop in Kamakura (still kicking myself for
                        > not getting it) and that's what the proprietor called it...

                        "Fue" means "flute" -- just "flute." (Well, Japanese flute. Western style
                        flutes are called "furuuto.")

                        Think of it as the English word "flute" or "recorder." There's a general
                        *type* of instrument that we all picture. Beyond that, there are terms that
                        specify what type (like "alto recorder" or "tenor recorder" for example).