Re: [SCA-JML] Question about poles

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2002
      If you want to use portable holes, I suggest you find someone who does blacksmithing and/or welding. If the latter, you can use angle irons cut off at an angle for the stake and weld slices of pipe large enough to accommodate your poles to it. Our portable holes are about 3 feet long. This supports a banner pole that carries a war banner that's about 12 feet long!

      Kiri
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2002
        rahlyns wrote:

        > I'm having a devil of a time finding the answer to this question, and
        > you all are my last hope.
        >
        > I have a set of Jinmaku(sp?) the curtains that go around an
        > encampment. The first set of poles I made did not work. They were
        > the wrong materials and they bent at the point where they went into
        > the ground.
        >
        > I want to try again, so I can use my curtains. I was thinking that
        > if I used wood poles, they'd be stronger, but I don't know how to get
        > 8 foot wooden poles 1 foot into the ground. I'm thinking some sort
        > of portable hole, but I'm unsure as to what to use and how.
        >
        > I'd appreciate any advice you can give regarding how to hold these
        > up. My understanding is that guy ropes were not used.

        I'm planning to update the jinmaku page in the Miscellany with some
        illustrations of Japanese support poles. The whole thing could be metal,
        with a spiked foot to go into the ground, and an "eye" or bar jutting out
        perpendicularly to the pole at the 6' height to catch the cord that supports
        the curtains. I'd think something like re-bar would make a decent model.
        I've even seen examples where the top is a spearhead, covered with a wooden
        sheath that could be removed.