Question about poles

  • rahlyns
    Message 1 of 6 , May 6 12:04 PM
      I'm having a devil of a time finding the answer to this question, and
      you all are my last hope.

      I have a set of Jinmaku(sp?) the curtains that go around an
      encampment. The first set of poles I made did not work. They were
      the wrong materials and they bent at the point where they went into
      the ground.

      I want to try again, so I can use my curtains. I was thinking that
      if I used wood poles, they'd be stronger, but I don't know how to get
      8 foot wooden poles 1 foot into the ground. I'm thinking some sort
      of portable hole, but I'm unsure as to what to use and how.

      I'd appreciate any advice you can give regarding how to hold these
      up. My understanding is that guy ropes were not used.
    • Steve Sells
      Message 2 of 6 , May 6 12:39 PM
        An easy way is drive a stake into the ground, and set your poles OVER the
        stake.

        i.e.:

        You drill a hole down the center ( like with a gun barrel ) to slide over
        the upper portion of the stake, I use 1/2 electrical conduit as stakes,
        dive them half way into the ground. I cut them to about a foot and a half
        long, its about $2 for a 10 foot long stick, so I get 7 or 8 stakes out of
        one 10 ft section. and as an Electrician I always have scraps of it around.
        As the ends of the conduit wrinkle, I trim it off, when it gets short, I get
        a few new stakes, each year.

        Instead of wood I also use 1 inch dia Square steel tubing.

        Kyoto

        >I'm having a devil of a time finding the answer to this question, and
        >you all are my last hope.
        >
        >I have a set of Jinmaku(sp?) the curtains that go around an
        >encampment. The first set of poles I made did not work. They were
        >the wrong materials and they bent at the point where they went into
        >the ground.
        >
        >I want to try again, so I can use my curtains. I was thinking that
        >if I used wood poles, they'd be stronger, but I don't know how to get
        >8 foot wooden poles 1 foot into the ground. I'm thinking some sort
        >of portable hole, but I'm unsure as to what to use and how.
        >
        >I'd appreciate any advice you can give regarding how to hold these
        >up. My understanding is that guy ropes were not used.

      • Marc Choronzey
        Message 3 of 6 , May 6 3:20 PM
          Konbanwa,

          Well, our gang use a inch and 1/2 pipe (PVC works fine) which we hammer in
          the ground. And in the hole put our jinmaku poles. Just make the pipe stick
          out of the ground one odd foot.

          regards,

          -Shimaha.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 6 4:56 PM
            rahlyns wrote:

            > I'm having a devil of a time finding the answer to this question, and
            > you all are my last hope.
            >
            > I have a set of Jinmaku(sp?) the curtains that go around an
            > encampment. The first set of poles I made did not work. They were
            > the wrong materials and they bent at the point where they went into
            > the ground.

            The quality of bamboo available around here isn't strong enough to
            stand up to our winds. I've had quite a lot of poles bend and break as
            well.

            > I want to try again, so I can use my curtains. I was thinking that
            > if I used wood poles, they'd be stronger, but I don't know how to get
            > 8 foot wooden poles 1 foot into the ground. I'm thinking some sort
            > of portable hole, but I'm unsure as to what to use and how.

            Effingham-dono suggests that wood might be a better (more authentic)
            material than bamboo as well. But I haven't yet broken all of my
            bamboo...

            In any case, I use standard portable holes in various designs (whatever
            I can get that's the correct size). I also tie off to stronger
            structures inside the walls - our cooking pavilion and such.

            > I'd appreciate any advice you can give regarding how to hold these
            > up. My understanding is that guy ropes were not used.

            So far I'm still using guy ropes in high winds. I think the real answer
            would be to set up the walls in the woods, not on the plains, but that's
            not always possible at sites around here.

            Yumitori
            --

            yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
          • Elaine Koogler
            Message 5 of 6 , May 7 5:30 AM
              If you want to use portable holes, I suggest you find someone who does blacksmithing and/or welding. If the latter, you can use angle irons cut off at an angle for the stake and weld slices of pipe large enough to accommodate your poles to it. Our portable holes are about 3 feet long. This supports a banner pole that carries a war banner that's about 12 feet long!

              Kiri
              I'm having a devil of a time finding the answer to this question, and
              you all are my last hope.

              I have a set of Jinmaku(sp?) the curtains that go around an
              encampment. The first set of poles I made did not work. They were
              the wrong materials and they bent at the point where they went into
              the ground.

              I want to try again, so I can use my curtains. I was thinking that
              if I used wood poles, they'd be stronger, but I don't know how to get
              8 foot wooden poles 1 foot into the ground. I'm thinking some sort
              of portable hole, but I'm unsure as to what to use and how.

              I'd appreciate any advice you can give regarding how to hold these
              up. My understanding is that guy ropes were not used.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Message 6 of 6 , May 7 5:10 PM
                rahlyns wrote:

                > I'm having a devil of a time finding the answer to this question, and
                > you all are my last hope.
                >
                > I have a set of Jinmaku(sp?) the curtains that go around an
                > encampment. The first set of poles I made did not work. They were
                > the wrong materials and they bent at the point where they went into
                > the ground.
                >
                > I want to try again, so I can use my curtains. I was thinking that
                > if I used wood poles, they'd be stronger, but I don't know how to get
                > 8 foot wooden poles 1 foot into the ground. I'm thinking some sort
                > of portable hole, but I'm unsure as to what to use and how.
                >
                > I'd appreciate any advice you can give regarding how to hold these
                > up. My understanding is that guy ropes were not used.

                I'm planning to update the jinmaku page in the Miscellany with some
                illustrations of Japanese support poles. The whole thing could be metal,
                with a spiked foot to go into the ground, and an "eye" or bar jutting out
                perpendicularly to the pole at the 6' height to catch the cord that supports
                the curtains. I'd think something like re-bar would make a decent model.
                I've even seen examples where the top is a spearhead, covered with a wooden
                sheath that could be removed.