Name look alright?

  • Ka'linor Ferrari
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2002
      Konnichi Wa!

      I've been doing some research at the Japanese
      Miscellany and I think I have a name

      Yamamoto no Ryojiro Michiyoshi

      Used Yamamoto becasue my persona was born under a
      mountain. I used the Surname no zokumyo nanori form
      found in the Miscellany. But I had a couple of
      questions:

      1)Did the zokumyo (Ryojiro or "Good second son") come
      out the way I wanted it to?

      2)Could I stick a personal name after my nanori so
      family can call me that instead of that big long name?

      Domo Arigatou!

      SCA teenager formerly known as Misha

      P.S.-Are there any good websites on writing etiquette
      or etiquette in general in medieval Japan? What about
      an explanation about some of the suffixes like
      "-dono"? Thanks!

      http://health.yahoo.com
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6, 2002
        On Mon, 6 May 2002, Ka'linor Ferrari wrote:

        > Konnichi Wa!
        >
        > I've been doing some research at the Japanese
        > Miscellany and I think I have a name
        >
        > Yamamoto no Ryojiro Michiyoshi
        >
        > Used Yamamoto becasue my persona was born under a
        > mountain. I used the Surname no zokumyo nanori form
        > found in the Miscellany. But I had a couple of
        > questions:
        >
        > 1)Did the zokumyo (Ryojiro or "Good second son") come
        > out the way I wanted it to?

        Looks good to me.

        > 2)Could I stick a personal name after my nanori so
        > family can call me that instead of that big long name?

        You wouldn't really do that. Mainly you would just have them call you
        something else. It sounds like you are looking for a nickname.

        In general, you would be called by your family name, Yamamoto. People
        would rarely use your entire name, that I can think of, except possibly in
        court (and then the heralds get paid to recite long names).

        On another note, Yamamoto is a good family name, and you don't need to be
        born under a mountain to have it. Your family name by the Heian period
        seems to have been pretty much set as coming from your family, not from
        where you were born. There do seem to be examples of people using the
        province they were born in as their family name, but I believe that was
        for some priests or such.

        > P.S.-Are there any good websites on writing etiquette
        > or etiquette in general in medieval Japan? What about
        > an explanation about some of the suffixes like
        > "-dono"? Thanks!

        Check out www.sengokudaimyo.com and look at the section on titles; it
        should mention -dono and the like.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 7, 2002
          Ka'linor Ferrari wrote:

          > Konnichi Wa!
          >
          > I've been doing some research at the Japanese
          > Miscellany and I think I have a name
          >
          > Yamamoto no Ryojiro Michiyoshi

          Looks perfect to me.

          > Used Yamamoto becasue my persona was born under a
          > mountain. I used the Surname no zokumyo nanori form
          > found in the Miscellany. But I had a couple of
          > questions:
          >
          > 1)Did the zokumyo (Ryojiro or "Good second son") come
          > out the way I wanted it to?

          It did indeed.

          > 2)Could I stick a personal name after my nanori so
          > family can call me that instead of that big long name?

          The nanori *is* your personal name; the family would call you Ryojiro. Are
          you thnking of a nickname? There's little evidence that the Japanese
          shortened their names like we do until late period. The actual *use* of the
          name (as opposed to a title or surname) is the informality we Americans
          would associate with using a nickname. If shortened, it would likely be only
          the first kanji ("Ryo-sama!!!") or something to that effect. But again,
          that's a level of familiarity that would be astounding in historical
          Japanese usage.

          > P.S.-Are there any good websites on writing etiquette
          > or etiquette in general in medieval Japan? What about
          > an explanation about some of the suffixes like
          > "-dono"? Thanks!

          Check out mine at http://www.sengokudaimyo.com and go for the Miscellany. As
          for writing etiquette -- unless you speak Japanese, that would be rather
          pointless. There are a great many set and frozen phrases and word forms that
          just don't translate.