Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Puffy shoulder vests

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26, 2002
      Ii Saburou wrote:

      > What about MANJU (sp?) I seem to recall seeing an armoured waistcoat that
      > covered the shoulders and armpits with a nice bit of padding that would
      > probably do well in the SCA,

      But manju/manchira aren't really padded per se, any more than any other
      armour "garment." Perhaps a couple of layers of cloth, but covered with mail
      or kikko. Some manchira were made in deliberate imitation of European
      doublets, which might account, however, for the shoulder rolls in some
      models. (Nobunaga in "Kagemusha" wears one such example.)

      > especially if your straps bite into your
      > shoulders because you thought they should be free hanging and only
      > afterwards saw that most seem to have been extensions of the rear (this is
      > why I wish more people would take complete pictures of the armour, and not
      > just from the front!)

      Oh, yeah. I've seen some otherwise decent Japanese armours ruined by "belt"
      shoulder straps (that is, cannibalized belts to make the straps). Oy...