Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Puffy shoulder vests

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26, 2002
      On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

      > nihilanth_sw wrote:
      >
      > > I dare to ask if it would be possible to get a drawing of it? Maybe
      > > using Paint or some such program as it doesn't need to be
      > > fancy. I've got an idea that would work for the sake of argument
      > > by making the parts that stick out over the shoulders a pouch
      > > and using some thin foam padding this could also double up as
      > > added protection while in armor and wouldn't have anything that
      > > cna break.
      > >

      > This is *not* worn with armour. It's *post period* formal wear for the
      > average samurai.

      What about MANJU (sp?) I seem to recall seeing an armoured waistcoat that
      covered the shoulders and armpits with a nice bit of padding that would
      probably do well in the SCA, especially if your straps bite into your
      shoulders because you thought they should be free hanging and only
      afterwards saw that most seem to have been extensions of the rear (this is
      why I wish more people would take complete pictures of the armour, and not
      just from the front!)

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 26, 2002
        Ii Saburou wrote:

        > What about MANJU (sp?) I seem to recall seeing an armoured waistcoat that
        > covered the shoulders and armpits with a nice bit of padding that would
        > probably do well in the SCA,

        But manju/manchira aren't really padded per se, any more than any other
        armour "garment." Perhaps a couple of layers of cloth, but covered with mail
        or kikko. Some manchira were made in deliberate imitation of European
        doublets, which might account, however, for the shoulder rolls in some
        models. (Nobunaga in "Kagemusha" wears one such example.)

        > especially if your straps bite into your
        > shoulders because you thought they should be free hanging and only
        > afterwards saw that most seem to have been extensions of the rear (this is
        > why I wish more people would take complete pictures of the armour, and not
        > just from the front!)

        Oh, yeah. I've seen some otherwise decent Japanese armours ruined by "belt"
        shoulder straps (that is, cannibalized belts to make the straps). Oy...