Re: [SCA-JML] slaving

  • elsyr@attbi.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2002
      Konichiwa:

      Im sure one of our _real_ scholars will have much more
      accurate information on this, but the only thing that
      pops into my head is a reference in Sansom to Portugese
      slave trading (in Japanese citizens) being used as a
      justification for the expulsion edicts. I cannot recall
      if this was specifically in reference to Toyotomi
      Hideyoshi's decrees, or those of the Tokugawa Shogunate
      (the third of the dynasty I think).

      I remember the passage because it puzzled me at the
      time ... when I read it I could not recall any mention
      of a significant indigenous slave culture in Japan, and
      I wondered where the Portugese were _getting_ Japanese
      slaves to sell elsewhere.

      Sakurakawa