(OT: SCA Fighting)Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Looking for Naginata construction info

  • Tatsushu .
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2002
      > > I also think people should be allowed to pad and strike with the
      > > bottom of the naginata, but that gets into a whole other discussion
      > > about SCA fighting rules.
      >
      > Yep - we get into the whole 'quarterstaff' thing, which, unless
      >there's a complete turnover in the upper-level marshallate, and the
      >Board, and large-scale requests from the fightign community, won't
      >change.

      Could someone explain the problem with the 'quarterstaff' thing?

      As I heard it, a power swing against a helmet--essentially a polearm version
      of kabuto-wari*--proved that you could seriously dent a freon-can helm.
      This made people very wary about using polearms, and so people instituted
      the '90 degree rule'--you cannot swing the polearm more than 90 degrees
      during the strike. This means you really can't do 'quarterstaff' work
      because the end would have to come more than 90 degrees around.

      However, last time I read the rules in the West Kingdom, they had removed
      the '90 degree' rule and added a 'sufficient force' rule, or something
      similar--basically, the arc doesn't matter, but the fighter is responsible
      for not doing a huge power swing, whether it is 90 degrees or not.

      So, unless other kingdoms held onto the '90 degrees', what is the problem
      with having a padded end to strike people with? They have already proven
      that a stave of wood could be an effective weapon.

      I could also get into about how I get hit below the knees all the time in
      naginatado, and don't know of any serious injuries, but that's another topic
      that I'm not ready to fight for, I think.

      -Ii

      This was, however, changed