Period information and names

  • nihilanth_sw
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2002
      I'm currently looking for a name to use in the SCA for a Japanese
      persona. I'm wondering if someone could point me in the right
      direction for locations and names.

      Thanks in advance.
    • Tatsushu .
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 6, 2002
        >I'm currently looking for a name to use in the SCA for a Japanese
        >persona. I'm wondering if someone could point me in the right
        >direction for locations and names.

        Well, Hiraizumi-dono has a good page up at www.sengokudaimyo.com--look in
        the miscellany, IIRC, under the 'Japanese Names' section. Also, Solveig
        Throndardottir's 'little pamphelet' on Japanese Names is a big help for many
        people in the SCA.

        Now, you didn't mention it, so are you looking for a male or female name?

        Male names are pretty easy, for the most part--you see them everywhere.
        Female names, on the other hand, seem harder to pin down. Part of this is
        just because writings often described people by their position, unless it
        was some kind of roll. Thus a lot of women's 'names' that we know are
        actually job descriptions like 'lady-in-waiting (to Empress Reizei)',
        locatives '(the lady of) Rokujo', or else some poetic allusion '(the lady
        of) the evening faces'.

        Male names, on the other hand, follow some obvious patterns. For a lay
        person of some standing you seem to have 'clan', 'family-name', 'common name
        (yobina)', and 'famous name(nanori)'. 'clan' (like Minamoto, Taira, etc.)
        appears to be dropped in later period. The family name is what you would
        usually be called. Yobina is an intimate name, not often used unless you
        don't have a nanori. THe latter is something that appears to be taken for
        recording of famous deeds.

        http://modzer0.cs.uaf.edu/~logan/muromachi/index.php?var=na is an attempt to
        catalog names that I run across in period. It is no doubt incorrect in some
        places, especially as I have some religious names mixed in with the lay
        names, but I generally tried to distinguish between them. I really need to
        clean it up eventually, but it might give you some ideas.

      • nihilanth_sw
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 6, 2002
          Sigh. I forgot I didn't bother changing my account info. I'm looking
          for a male name which you said was fairly easy. Nice site too. :D