Re: [SCA-JML] wagashi

  • Nate Ledbetter
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
      Bun-ami-dono:

      I'd take all the recipes you can get. Momiji manju is
      the momiji (maple) shaped omanju common to the
      Hiroshima area--I believe it can be filled with most
      standard fillings. But any of the kinds you mentioned
      sound wonderful. Any recipes you can provide would be
      very much appreciated.

      Shonaigawa

      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
        any cnance of you posting those recipes??
        -kiyohara

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • Markejag@aol.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
          To anyone who is interested.

          I posted the recipes for the manju on the SCA-JML, Yahoo!Groups account
          files. The are in a new folder called "Recipes" under the Manju recipe file.
          The file is in MS Word. For you MAC users, sorry :-( I know nothing about
          MAC's. Maybe someone on the list can distill the MS Word into a PDF file.
          If you don't know how to access Yahoo!Groups Account, send me your e-mail
          address and I will forward the MS Word document to you.

          Bun'ami

        • Nate Ledbetter
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
            My wife heartily thanks you, and so do I. She couldn't
            wait for it to finish printing before she was pulling
            it out to see what we needed.

            Shonaigawa

            --- Markejag@... wrote:
            > To anyone who is interested.
            >
            > I posted the recipes for the manju on the SCA-JML,
            > Yahoo!Groups account
            > files. The are in a new folder called "Recipes"
            > under the Manju recipe file.
            > The file is in MS Word. For you MAC users, sorry
            > :-( I know nothing about
            > MAC's. Maybe someone on the list can distill the MS
            > Word into a PDF file.
            > If you don't know how to access Yahoo!Groups
            > Account, send me your e-mail
            > address and I will forward the MS Word document to
            > you.
            >
            > Bun'ami

            > removed]

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • fuzzybunz2002
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 8, 2002
              Ohayou gozaimasu Grim-sama....

              Would you by any chance also be known as Kojiro-sama for False
              Isle...<grin>

              --- In sca-jml@y..., Grim Shieldsson <grimshieldsson@y...> wrote:
            • Grim Shieldsson
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 8, 2002
                Nope.

                --- fuzzybunz2002 <fuzzybunz@...> wrote:
                > Ohayou gozaimasu Grim-sama....
                >
                > Would you by any chance also be known as Kojiro-sama for False
                > Isle...<grin>
                >

                > --- In sca-jml@y..., Grim Shieldsson <grimshieldsson@y...> wrote:
                > > --- Douglas Shannon <Professor03@h...> wrote:

                =====
                Grim Shieldsson (James A Barrows)
                Acting Chieftain of Clan StormWolf
                Barbarian Freehold Alliance
                "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits."
                --Plutarch

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/
              • rahlyns
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 18, 2002
                  I would love any of recipes if you would be willing to share. I am
                  still just getting going on foodstuffs, and I'm going slowly.

                  --- In sca-jml@y..., Markejag@a... wrote:
                  > What kind? Or better yet, for us non-Japanese reading peoples,
                  what exactly
                  > do you mean by momiji manju?
                  >
                  > I have three recipes, hikicha-manju (green tea flavored buns with
                  sweet bean
                  > paste), kuzu-manju (arrowroot starch bun) and kuri-manju (chestnut
                  buns with
                  > no chestnuts)
                  > I also have one for dora-yaki, (sweet bean paste sandwiched between
                  2 small
                  > sweet pancakes).
                  >
                  > Bun-ami
                  >
                  > > Nate Ledbetter wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Hello all!
                  > > >
                  > > > Would anyone happen to have a recipe for wagashi,
                  > > > specifically omanju? Maybe momiji manju? I've looked
                  > > > all over the net and can't find anything...thanks!
                  > >
                  > > Hm. I've never looked. I imagine there are recipes online, but
                  they're
                  > > probably in Japanese...
                  > >
                  > > Effingham

                • Justin P Barney
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 21, 2002
                    I also just joined this list. I have come home to a Japanese persona
                    from the Norseman that I was. I originally wanted to be samurai, but
                    where I came up in the SCA there were no non-europeans and I was told
                    that Japanese was not a good idea. I have since learned otherwise. I am
                    now in the Barony of Thescorre in Aethelmarc and am greatly interested in
                    learning anything that anyone is willing to share about medieval Japanese
                    life and ways. I am primarily a heavy fighter, but I have great interest
                    in tea ceremony, music, and art.

                    I am happy to meet you all.

                    Ozumi Takezou
                  • Bill Fornshell
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 21, 2002
                      Hi, I also am involved with Chanoyu as a way of life.
                      Are you a part of any of the Japanese Tea Schools? I
                      also do many of the traditional Japanese arts that
                      support Chanoyu.

                      --- Justin P Barney <lornix@...> wrote:
                      > I also just joined this list. I have come home to a
                      > Japanese persona
                      > from the Norseman that I was. I originally wanted
                      > to be samurai, but
                      > where I came up in the SCA there were no
                      > non-europeans and I was told
                      > that Japanese was not a good idea. I have since
                      > learned otherwise. I am
                      > now in the Barony of Thescorre in Aethelmarc and am
                      > greatly interested in
                      > learning anything that anyone is willing to share
                      > about medieval Japanese
                      > life and ways. I am primarily a heavy fighter, but
                      > I have great interest
                      > in tea ceremony, music, and art.
                      >
                      > I am happy to meet you all.
                      >
                      > Ozumi Takezou

                      =====
                      Bill Fornshell
                      Founder and President
                      Cold Mountain Chanoyu
                      (Tea School for the New Millennium)
                      School of One
                      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

                      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                    • chagin1
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                        --- In sca-jml@y..., Justin P Barney <lornix@j...> wrote:
                        > ... I am primarily a heavy fighter, but I have great interest
                        > in tea ceremony, music, and art.

                        Welcome. I actually started with a Japanese persona, and added a
                        western one for convenience (there was a time of extreme disfavor for
                        anything not western euro romatic pre-renn). I fought heavy list in
                        Japanese styled armor (steel, self-made, initially do-maru, later
                        converted to hara-maki-do) until advancing age and a bad back coupled
                        with accumulating injuries made me stop. I have since gone to rapier,
                        for which the western persona is "better", but keep the Japanese one,
                        especially for Tea Ceremony. Persona-wise I was a hatamoto and sado to
                        an outlying minor daimyo. It worked well since the household was
                        Japanese. There usually is a Tea (both classes and performance) at
                        Pennnsic (Solveig?). There is also some shinai activity
                        (proto-kendo?) around.

                        Takanofuji Ryu-no-kami Sakura-no-Genshin Jutte
                        (aka Seamus, mka elmar).
                      • Heather Benson
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                          the same thing happened when I joined the SCA. "You
                          know, they just don't do that kind of thing..." Glad
                          you could find us :)

                          Currently Mara the Mouse
                          Barony of the Flaming Gryphon
                          Middle Kingdom

                          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                        • Mokurai
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                            I should know where Thescorre is... upstate NY?

                            I'm close to Philadelphia. Anyway. I mention it because we do have several
                            Japanese personae in AEthelmarc including Sir Koredono and various Yama
                            Kaminari Clan members. I am sure you have friends about!

                            - mokurai

                          • Don Luby
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                              On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Mokurai wrote:

                              > I should know where Thescorre is... upstate NY?

                              Thescorre is Rochester (clever anagram, huh?)

                              > I'm close to Philadelphia. Anyway. I mention it because we do have
                              > several Japanese personae in AEthelmarc including Sir Koredono and
                              > various Yama Kaminari Clan members. I am sure you have friends about!

                              Well, while I'm in AEthelmearc, I'm in Debatable Lands, ~5 hours
                              from Thescorre - he'd have a shorter drive to ~Albany, where Sir
                              Yoshitsune and his portin of Yama Kaminari are than to where I am.
                              Luckily for him, though, a significant number of Yama Kaminari
                              members are spread out in 'Thruway baronies' (Rhydderich Hael,
                              Thescorre, Delftwood, and Concordia) and the shires in that general
                              area for him to find someone to help. Sir Ogami lives in the
                              Rhydderich Hael (Buffalo), so that's where the 'home' of our clan is,
                              and even if he himself is are to get a hold of, there's lots of other
                              folks in that area.

                              > - mokurai

                              Sir Koredono

                              Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no Koredono
                              djl@... Yama-kaminari-ryu
                            • Barbara Nostrand
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 23, 2002

                                Greetings from Solveig! I am in Northern Outpost which is 1.5 hours from
                                Skraeling Althing, 2.0 hours from L'ile du Dragon Dormant , and 3.0
                                hours from Delftwood.

                              • Justin P Barney
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 23, 2002
                                  Yes, Thescorre is Rochester NY. Fun in the snow (gotta love lake effect
                                  snowstorms....well, maybe not)

                                  We are a little over an hour from the Hael. I have had the pleasure of
                                  meeting Ogami-sama and a couple Yama Kaminari from there. The next time
                                  I get to speak with Ogami-sama I hope to ask him a few questions about
                                  his drums.

                                  "Are you a part of any of the Japanese Tea Schools?" No, I have done a
                                  great deal of reading on the subject and have tried following portions of
                                  the ritual but I have not actually found a teacher or someone to do the
                                  ceremony with. I hope to find someone relatively local from which I can
                                  learn more about this.

                                  Thanks to everyone for the advice and the welcomes. It seems I have
                                  found a good place to be. :)

                                  Ozumi Takezou

                                  ------