Re: [SCA-JML] wagashi

  • Markejag@aol.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
      What kind? Or better yet, for us non-Japanese reading peoples, what exactly
      do you mean by momiji manju?

      I have three recipes, hikicha-manju (green tea flavored buns with sweet bean
      paste), kuzu-manju (arrowroot starch bun) and kuri-manju (chestnut buns with
      no chestnuts)
      I also have one for dora-yaki, (sweet bean paste sandwiched between 2 small
      sweet pancakes).

      Bun-ami

      > Nate Ledbetter wrote:
      >
      > > Hello all!
      > >
      > > Would anyone happen to have a recipe for wagashi,
      > > specifically omanju? Maybe momiji manju? I've looked
      > > all over the net and can't find anything...thanks!
      >
      > Hm. I've never looked. I imagine there are recipes online, but they're
      > probably in Japanese...
      >
      > Effingham

    • Rosemary Norwood
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
        I would love to see all of those recipes! Please share!

        Rosemary

        On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 04:28:24PM -0500, Markejag@... wrote:
        > What kind? Or better yet, for us non-Japanese reading peoples, what exactly
        > do you mean by momiji manju?
        >
        > I have three recipes, hikicha-manju (green tea flavored buns with sweet bean
        > paste), kuzu-manju (arrowroot starch bun) and kuri-manju (chestnut buns with
        > no chestnuts)
        > I also have one for dora-yaki, (sweet bean paste sandwiched between 2 small
        > sweet pancakes).
        >
        > Bun-ami

      • Nate Ledbetter
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
          Bun-ami-dono:

          I'd take all the recipes you can get. Momiji manju is
          the momiji (maple) shaped omanju common to the
          Hiroshima area--I believe it can be filled with most
          standard fillings. But any of the kinds you mentioned
          sound wonderful. Any recipes you can provide would be
          very much appreciated.

          Shonaigawa

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
            any cnance of you posting those recipes??
            -kiyohara

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • Markejag@aol.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
              To anyone who is interested.

              I posted the recipes for the manju on the SCA-JML, Yahoo!Groups account
              files. The are in a new folder called "Recipes" under the Manju recipe file.
              The file is in MS Word. For you MAC users, sorry :-( I know nothing about
              MAC's. Maybe someone on the list can distill the MS Word into a PDF file.
              If you don't know how to access Yahoo!Groups Account, send me your e-mail
              address and I will forward the MS Word document to you.

              Bun'ami

            • Nate Ledbetter
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                My wife heartily thanks you, and so do I. She couldn't
                wait for it to finish printing before she was pulling
                it out to see what we needed.

                Shonaigawa

                --- Markejag@... wrote:
                > To anyone who is interested.
                >
                > I posted the recipes for the manju on the SCA-JML,
                > Yahoo!Groups account
                > files. The are in a new folder called "Recipes"
                > under the Manju recipe file.
                > The file is in MS Word. For you MAC users, sorry
                > :-( I know nothing about
                > MAC's. Maybe someone on the list can distill the MS
                > Word into a PDF file.
                > If you don't know how to access Yahoo!Groups
                > Account, send me your e-mail
                > address and I will forward the MS Word document to
                > you.
                >
                > Bun'ami

                > removed]

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/
              • fuzzybunz2002
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 8, 2002
                  Ohayou gozaimasu Grim-sama....

                  Would you by any chance also be known as Kojiro-sama for False
                  Isle...<grin>

                  --- In sca-jml@y..., Grim Shieldsson <grimshieldsson@y...> wrote:
                • Grim Shieldsson
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 8, 2002
                    Nope.

                    --- fuzzybunz2002 <fuzzybunz@...> wrote:
                    > Ohayou gozaimasu Grim-sama....
                    >
                    > Would you by any chance also be known as Kojiro-sama for False
                    > Isle...<grin>
                    >

                    > --- In sca-jml@y..., Grim Shieldsson <grimshieldsson@y...> wrote:
                    > > --- Douglas Shannon <Professor03@h...> wrote:

                    =====
                    Grim Shieldsson (James A Barrows)
                    Acting Chieftain of Clan StormWolf
                    Barbarian Freehold Alliance
                    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits."
                    --Plutarch

                    http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                  • rahlyns
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 18, 2002
                      I would love any of recipes if you would be willing to share. I am
                      still just getting going on foodstuffs, and I'm going slowly.

                      --- In sca-jml@y..., Markejag@a... wrote:
                      > What kind? Or better yet, for us non-Japanese reading peoples,
                      what exactly
                      > do you mean by momiji manju?
                      >
                      > I have three recipes, hikicha-manju (green tea flavored buns with
                      sweet bean
                      > paste), kuzu-manju (arrowroot starch bun) and kuri-manju (chestnut
                      buns with
                      > no chestnuts)
                      > I also have one for dora-yaki, (sweet bean paste sandwiched between
                      2 small
                      > sweet pancakes).
                      >
                      > Bun-ami
                      >
                      > > Nate Ledbetter wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Hello all!
                      > > >
                      > > > Would anyone happen to have a recipe for wagashi,
                      > > > specifically omanju? Maybe momiji manju? I've looked
                      > > > all over the net and can't find anything...thanks!
                      > >
                      > > Hm. I've never looked. I imagine there are recipes online, but
                      they're
                      > > probably in Japanese...
                      > >
                      > > Effingham

                    • Justin P Barney
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 21, 2002
                        I also just joined this list. I have come home to a Japanese persona
                        from the Norseman that I was. I originally wanted to be samurai, but
                        where I came up in the SCA there were no non-europeans and I was told
                        that Japanese was not a good idea. I have since learned otherwise. I am
                        now in the Barony of Thescorre in Aethelmarc and am greatly interested in
                        learning anything that anyone is willing to share about medieval Japanese
                        life and ways. I am primarily a heavy fighter, but I have great interest
                        in tea ceremony, music, and art.

                        I am happy to meet you all.

                        Ozumi Takezou
                      • Bill Fornshell
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 21, 2002
                          Hi, I also am involved with Chanoyu as a way of life.
                          Are you a part of any of the Japanese Tea Schools? I
                          also do many of the traditional Japanese arts that
                          support Chanoyu.

                          --- Justin P Barney <lornix@...> wrote:
                          > I also just joined this list. I have come home to a
                          > Japanese persona
                          > from the Norseman that I was. I originally wanted
                          > to be samurai, but
                          > where I came up in the SCA there were no
                          > non-europeans and I was told
                          > that Japanese was not a good idea. I have since
                          > learned otherwise. I am
                          > now in the Barony of Thescorre in Aethelmarc and am
                          > greatly interested in
                          > learning anything that anyone is willing to share
                          > about medieval Japanese
                          > life and ways. I am primarily a heavy fighter, but
                          > I have great interest
                          > in tea ceremony, music, and art.
                          >
                          > I am happy to meet you all.
                          >
                          > Ozumi Takezou

                          =====
                          Bill Fornshell
                          Founder and President
                          Cold Mountain Chanoyu
                          (Tea School for the New Millennium)
                          School of One
                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

                          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                        • chagin1
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                            --- In sca-jml@y..., Justin P Barney <lornix@j...> wrote:
                            > ... I am primarily a heavy fighter, but I have great interest
                            > in tea ceremony, music, and art.

                            Welcome. I actually started with a Japanese persona, and added a
                            western one for convenience (there was a time of extreme disfavor for
                            anything not western euro romatic pre-renn). I fought heavy list in
                            Japanese styled armor (steel, self-made, initially do-maru, later
                            converted to hara-maki-do) until advancing age and a bad back coupled
                            with accumulating injuries made me stop. I have since gone to rapier,
                            for which the western persona is "better", but keep the Japanese one,
                            especially for Tea Ceremony. Persona-wise I was a hatamoto and sado to
                            an outlying minor daimyo. It worked well since the household was
                            Japanese. There usually is a Tea (both classes and performance) at
                            Pennnsic (Solveig?). There is also some shinai activity
                            (proto-kendo?) around.

                            Takanofuji Ryu-no-kami Sakura-no-Genshin Jutte
                            (aka Seamus, mka elmar).
                          • Heather Benson
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                              the same thing happened when I joined the SCA. "You
                              know, they just don't do that kind of thing..." Glad
                              you could find us :)

                              Currently Mara the Mouse
                              Barony of the Flaming Gryphon
                              Middle Kingdom

                              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                            • Mokurai
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                                I should know where Thescorre is... upstate NY?

                                I'm close to Philadelphia. Anyway. I mention it because we do have several
                                Japanese personae in AEthelmarc including Sir Koredono and various Yama
                                Kaminari Clan members. I am sure you have friends about!

                                - mokurai

                              • Don Luby
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                                  On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Mokurai wrote:

                                  > I should know where Thescorre is... upstate NY?

                                  Thescorre is Rochester (clever anagram, huh?)

                                  > I'm close to Philadelphia. Anyway. I mention it because we do have
                                  > several Japanese personae in AEthelmarc including Sir Koredono and
                                  > various Yama Kaminari Clan members. I am sure you have friends about!

                                  Well, while I'm in AEthelmearc, I'm in Debatable Lands, ~5 hours
                                  from Thescorre - he'd have a shorter drive to ~Albany, where Sir
                                  Yoshitsune and his portin of Yama Kaminari are than to where I am.
                                  Luckily for him, though, a significant number of Yama Kaminari
                                  members are spread out in 'Thruway baronies' (Rhydderich Hael,
                                  Thescorre, Delftwood, and Concordia) and the shires in that general
                                  area for him to find someone to help. Sir Ogami lives in the
                                  Rhydderich Hael (Buffalo), so that's where the 'home' of our clan is,
                                  and even if he himself is are to get a hold of, there's lots of other
                                  folks in that area.

                                  > - mokurai

                                  Sir Koredono

                                  Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no Koredono
                                  djl@... Yama-kaminari-ryu
                                • Barbara Nostrand
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 23, 2002

                                    Greetings from Solveig! I am in Northern Outpost which is 1.5 hours from
                                    Skraeling Althing, 2.0 hours from L'ile du Dragon Dormant , and 3.0
                                    hours from Delftwood.

                                  • Justin P Barney
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 23, 2002
                                      Yes, Thescorre is Rochester NY. Fun in the snow (gotta love lake effect
                                      snowstorms....well, maybe not)

                                      We are a little over an hour from the Hael. I have had the pleasure of
                                      meeting Ogami-sama and a couple Yama Kaminari from there. The next time
                                      I get to speak with Ogami-sama I hope to ask him a few questions about
                                      his drums.

                                      "Are you a part of any of the Japanese Tea Schools?" No, I have done a
                                      great deal of reading on the subject and have tried following portions of
                                      the ritual but I have not actually found a teacher or someone to do the
                                      ceremony with. I hope to find someone relatively local from which I can
                                      learn more about this.

                                      Thanks to everyone for the advice and the welcomes. It seems I have
                                      found a good place to be. :)

                                      Ozumi Takezou

                                      ------