Re: [SCA-JML] Kataginu - period?

  • debbie strub
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2002
      Greetings,

      Technically, it is period but not in the form that most people
      think of. Period versions usually cross over in the front like a kosode
      and aren't as stiff looking. There are a number of period paintings
      showing this.

      YIS,

      Murakami Tsuruko

      At 07:43 AM 4/5/2002 -0500, Aaron Sher wrote:
      >Konnichi-wa,
      >
      >I've been lurking on this list for a while now, and I seem to recall
      >somebody saying a while back that kataginu wasn't period. My sources claim
      >that it was commonly worn in the Sanguro (I think? I don't have the books
      >handy, so I may have that one wrong) period, including the sixteenth
      >century. Anybody have better/different information than this?
      >
      >Thanks,
      > Alessandro (soon to be something Japanese, when I get an obi and can
      >complete a set of garb :-))

    • Tatsushu .
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 2002

        >Konnichi-wa,
        >
        >I've been lurking on this list for a while now, and I seem to recall
        >somebody saying a while back that kataginu wasn't period. My sources claim
        >that it was commonly worn in the Sanguro (I think? I don't have the books
        >handy, so I may have that one wrong) period, including the sixteenth
        >century. Anybody have better/different information than this?

        Sengoku?

        The kataginu does appear around the Sengoku Jidai--lit. Warring States
        Period--but one must be careful and aware of the kataginu of this time vs.
        the later kataginu of the post-1600 Edo period.

        Basically, from what I have seen, the kataginu appears to have begun life as
        simply a hitatare without the arms. Later on it became a very
        broad-shouldered garment, with the 'wings' most people think of in many
        samurai movies.

        There is a good pattern for a simple kataginu supplied by Effingham-dono in
        the files section.