Re: [SCA-JML] wagashi

    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
      Nate Ledbetter wrote:

      > Hello all!
      >
      > Would anyone happen to have a recipe for wagashi,
      > specifically omanju? Maybe momiji manju? I've looked
      > all over the net and can't find anything...thanks!

      Hm. I've never looked. I imagine there are recipes online, but they're
      probably in Japanese...

      Effingham
    • Nate Ledbetter
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
        Yeah, I just haven't gotten up the energy (and my word
        tank) to look on YahooJapan yet. Just wondering if
        maybe someone had it in English...please forgive my
        dreadfully slothful laziness from this worthless shell
        of a thing!

        shonaigawa

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • Markejag@aol.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
          What kind? Or better yet, for us non-Japanese reading peoples, what exactly
          do you mean by momiji manju?

          I have three recipes, hikicha-manju (green tea flavored buns with sweet bean
          paste), kuzu-manju (arrowroot starch bun) and kuri-manju (chestnut buns with
          no chestnuts)
          I also have one for dora-yaki, (sweet bean paste sandwiched between 2 small
          sweet pancakes).

          Bun-ami

          > Nate Ledbetter wrote:
          >
          > > Hello all!
          > >
          > > Would anyone happen to have a recipe for wagashi,
          > > specifically omanju? Maybe momiji manju? I've looked
          > > all over the net and can't find anything...thanks!
          >
          > Hm. I've never looked. I imagine there are recipes online, but they're
          > probably in Japanese...
          >
          > Effingham

        • Rosemary Norwood
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
            I would love to see all of those recipes! Please share!

            Rosemary

            On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 04:28:24PM -0500, Markejag@... wrote:
            > What kind? Or better yet, for us non-Japanese reading peoples, what exactly
            > do you mean by momiji manju?
            >
            > I have three recipes, hikicha-manju (green tea flavored buns with sweet bean
            > paste), kuzu-manju (arrowroot starch bun) and kuri-manju (chestnut buns with
            > no chestnuts)
            > I also have one for dora-yaki, (sweet bean paste sandwiched between 2 small
            > sweet pancakes).
            >
            > Bun-ami

          • Nate Ledbetter
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
              Bun-ami-dono:

              I'd take all the recipes you can get. Momiji manju is
              the momiji (maple) shaped omanju common to the
              Hiroshima area--I believe it can be filled with most
              standard fillings. But any of the kinds you mentioned
              sound wonderful. Any recipes you can provide would be
              very much appreciated.

              Shonaigawa

              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                any cnance of you posting those recipes??
                -kiyohara

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/
              • Markejag@aol.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                  To anyone who is interested.

                  I posted the recipes for the manju on the SCA-JML, Yahoo!Groups account
                  files. The are in a new folder called "Recipes" under the Manju recipe file.
                  The file is in MS Word. For you MAC users, sorry :-( I know nothing about
                  MAC's. Maybe someone on the list can distill the MS Word into a PDF file.
                  If you don't know how to access Yahoo!Groups Account, send me your e-mail
                  address and I will forward the MS Word document to you.

                  Bun'ami

                • Nate Ledbetter
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                    My wife heartily thanks you, and so do I. She couldn't
                    wait for it to finish printing before she was pulling
                    it out to see what we needed.

                    Shonaigawa

                    --- Markejag@... wrote:
                    > To anyone who is interested.
                    >
                    > I posted the recipes for the manju on the SCA-JML,
                    > Yahoo!Groups account
                    > files. The are in a new folder called "Recipes"
                    > under the Manju recipe file.
                    > The file is in MS Word. For you MAC users, sorry
                    > :-( I know nothing about
                    > MAC's. Maybe someone on the list can distill the MS
                    > Word into a PDF file.
                    > If you don't know how to access Yahoo!Groups
                    > Account, send me your e-mail
                    > address and I will forward the MS Word document to
                    > you.
                    >
                    > Bun'ami

                    > removed]

                    http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                  • fuzzybunz2002
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 8, 2002
                      Ohayou gozaimasu Grim-sama....

                      Would you by any chance also be known as Kojiro-sama for False
                      Isle...<grin>

                      --- In sca-jml@y..., Grim Shieldsson <grimshieldsson@y...> wrote:
                    • Grim Shieldsson
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 8, 2002
                        Nope.

                        --- fuzzybunz2002 <fuzzybunz@...> wrote:
                        > Ohayou gozaimasu Grim-sama....
                        >
                        > Would you by any chance also be known as Kojiro-sama for False
                        > Isle...<grin>
                        >

                        > --- In sca-jml@y..., Grim Shieldsson <grimshieldsson@y...> wrote:
                        > > --- Douglas Shannon <Professor03@h...> wrote:

                        =====
                        Grim Shieldsson (James A Barrows)
                        Acting Chieftain of Clan StormWolf
                        Barbarian Freehold Alliance
                        "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits."
                        --Plutarch

                        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                      • rahlyns
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 18, 2002
                          I would love any of recipes if you would be willing to share. I am
                          still just getting going on foodstuffs, and I'm going slowly.

                          --- In sca-jml@y..., Markejag@a... wrote:
                          > What kind? Or better yet, for us non-Japanese reading peoples,
                          what exactly
                          > do you mean by momiji manju?
                          >
                          > I have three recipes, hikicha-manju (green tea flavored buns with
                          sweet bean
                          > paste), kuzu-manju (arrowroot starch bun) and kuri-manju (chestnut
                          buns with
                          > no chestnuts)
                          > I also have one for dora-yaki, (sweet bean paste sandwiched between
                          2 small
                          > sweet pancakes).
                          >
                          > Bun-ami
                          >
                          > > Nate Ledbetter wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Hello all!
                          > > >
                          > > > Would anyone happen to have a recipe for wagashi,
                          > > > specifically omanju? Maybe momiji manju? I've looked
                          > > > all over the net and can't find anything...thanks!
                          > >
                          > > Hm. I've never looked. I imagine there are recipes online, but
                          they're
                          > > probably in Japanese...
                          > >
                          > > Effingham

                        • Justin P Barney
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 21, 2002
                            I also just joined this list. I have come home to a Japanese persona
                            from the Norseman that I was. I originally wanted to be samurai, but
                            where I came up in the SCA there were no non-europeans and I was told
                            that Japanese was not a good idea. I have since learned otherwise. I am
                            now in the Barony of Thescorre in Aethelmarc and am greatly interested in
                            learning anything that anyone is willing to share about medieval Japanese
                            life and ways. I am primarily a heavy fighter, but I have great interest
                            in tea ceremony, music, and art.

                            I am happy to meet you all.

                            Ozumi Takezou
                          • Bill Fornshell
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 21, 2002
                              Hi, I also am involved with Chanoyu as a way of life.
                              Are you a part of any of the Japanese Tea Schools? I
                              also do many of the traditional Japanese arts that
                              support Chanoyu.

                              --- Justin P Barney <lornix@...> wrote:
                              > I also just joined this list. I have come home to a
                              > Japanese persona
                              > from the Norseman that I was. I originally wanted
                              > to be samurai, but
                              > where I came up in the SCA there were no
                              > non-europeans and I was told
                              > that Japanese was not a good idea. I have since
                              > learned otherwise. I am
                              > now in the Barony of Thescorre in Aethelmarc and am
                              > greatly interested in
                              > learning anything that anyone is willing to share
                              > about medieval Japanese
                              > life and ways. I am primarily a heavy fighter, but
                              > I have great interest
                              > in tea ceremony, music, and art.
                              >
                              > I am happy to meet you all.
                              >
                              > Ozumi Takezou

                              =====
                              Bill Fornshell
                              Founder and President
                              Cold Mountain Chanoyu
                              (Tea School for the New Millennium)
                              School of One
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

                              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                            • chagin1
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                                --- In sca-jml@y..., Justin P Barney <lornix@j...> wrote:
                                > ... I am primarily a heavy fighter, but I have great interest
                                > in tea ceremony, music, and art.

                                Welcome. I actually started with a Japanese persona, and added a
                                western one for convenience (there was a time of extreme disfavor for
                                anything not western euro romatic pre-renn). I fought heavy list in
                                Japanese styled armor (steel, self-made, initially do-maru, later
                                converted to hara-maki-do) until advancing age and a bad back coupled
                                with accumulating injuries made me stop. I have since gone to rapier,
                                for which the western persona is "better", but keep the Japanese one,
                                especially for Tea Ceremony. Persona-wise I was a hatamoto and sado to
                                an outlying minor daimyo. It worked well since the household was
                                Japanese. There usually is a Tea (both classes and performance) at
                                Pennnsic (Solveig?). There is also some shinai activity
                                (proto-kendo?) around.

                                Takanofuji Ryu-no-kami Sakura-no-Genshin Jutte
                                (aka Seamus, mka elmar).
                              • Heather Benson
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                                  the same thing happened when I joined the SCA. "You
                                  know, they just don't do that kind of thing..." Glad
                                  you could find us :)

                                  Currently Mara the Mouse
                                  Barony of the Flaming Gryphon
                                  Middle Kingdom

                                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                                • Mokurai
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                                    I should know where Thescorre is... upstate NY?

                                    I'm close to Philadelphia. Anyway. I mention it because we do have several
                                    Japanese personae in AEthelmarc including Sir Koredono and various Yama
                                    Kaminari Clan members. I am sure you have friends about!

                                    - mokurai

                                  • Don Luby
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                                      On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Mokurai wrote:

                                      > I should know where Thescorre is... upstate NY?

                                      Thescorre is Rochester (clever anagram, huh?)

                                      > I'm close to Philadelphia. Anyway. I mention it because we do have
                                      > several Japanese personae in AEthelmarc including Sir Koredono and
                                      > various Yama Kaminari Clan members. I am sure you have friends about!

                                      Well, while I'm in AEthelmearc, I'm in Debatable Lands, ~5 hours
                                      from Thescorre - he'd have a shorter drive to ~Albany, where Sir
                                      Yoshitsune and his portin of Yama Kaminari are than to where I am.
                                      Luckily for him, though, a significant number of Yama Kaminari
                                      members are spread out in 'Thruway baronies' (Rhydderich Hael,
                                      Thescorre, Delftwood, and Concordia) and the shires in that general
                                      area for him to find someone to help. Sir Ogami lives in the
                                      Rhydderich Hael (Buffalo), so that's where the 'home' of our clan is,
                                      and even if he himself is are to get a hold of, there's lots of other
                                      folks in that area.

                                      > - mokurai

                                      Sir Koredono

                                      Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no Koredono
                                      djl@... Yama-kaminari-ryu
                                    • Barbara Nostrand
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 23, 2002
                                        Noble Cousins!

                                        Greetings from Solveig! I am in Northern Outpost which is 1.5 hours from
                                        Skraeling Althing, 2.0 hours from L'ile du Dragon Dormant , and 3.0
                                        hours from Delftwood.

                                      • Justin P Barney
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 23, 2002
                                          Yes, Thescorre is Rochester NY. Fun in the snow (gotta love lake effect
                                          snowstorms....well, maybe not)

                                          We are a little over an hour from the Hael. I have had the pleasure of
                                          meeting Ogami-sama and a couple Yama Kaminari from there. The next time
                                          I get to speak with Ogami-sama I hope to ask him a few questions about
                                          his drums.

                                          "Are you a part of any of the Japanese Tea Schools?" No, I have done a
                                          great deal of reading on the subject and have tried following portions of
                                          the ritual but I have not actually found a teacher or someone to do the
                                          ceremony with. I hope to find someone relatively local from which I can
                                          learn more about this.

                                          Thanks to everyone for the advice and the welcomes. It seems I have
                                          found a good place to be. :)

                                          Ozumi Takezou

                                          ------