Re: [SCA-JML] Kataginu - period?

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2002
      Aaron Sher wrote:

      > Konnichi-wa,
      >
      > I've been lurking on this list for a while now, and I seem to recall
      > somebody saying a while back that kataginu wasn't period. My sources claim
      > that it was commonly worn in the Sanguro (I think? I don't have the books
      > handy, so I may have that one wrong) period, including the sixteenth
      > century. Anybody have better/different information than this?

      That's true and not true. The kataginu *is* period, but not in the form most
      people think of it. People usually think of the batwing version that shows up
      in all the films set in the Edo period; the pre-1600 model was rectangular. See
      my garb pages at http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

      Effingham
    • debbie strub
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 2002
        Greetings,

        Technically, it is period but not in the form that most people
        think of. Period versions usually cross over in the front like a kosode
        and aren't as stiff looking. There are a number of period paintings
        showing this.

        YIS,

        Murakami Tsuruko

        At 07:43 AM 4/5/2002 -0500, Aaron Sher wrote:
        >Konnichi-wa,
        >
        >I've been lurking on this list for a while now, and I seem to recall
        >somebody saying a while back that kataginu wasn't period. My sources claim
        >that it was commonly worn in the Sanguro (I think? I don't have the books
        >handy, so I may have that one wrong) period, including the sixteenth
        >century. Anybody have better/different information than this?
        >
        >Thanks,
        > Alessandro (soon to be something Japanese, when I get an obi and can
        >complete a set of garb :-))

      • Tatsushu .
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2002

          >Konnichi-wa,
          >
          >I've been lurking on this list for a while now, and I seem to recall
          >somebody saying a while back that kataginu wasn't period. My sources claim
          >that it was commonly worn in the Sanguro (I think? I don't have the books
          >handy, so I may have that one wrong) period, including the sixteenth
          >century. Anybody have better/different information than this?

          Sengoku?

          The kataginu does appear around the Sengoku Jidai--lit. Warring States
          Period--but one must be careful and aware of the kataginu of this time vs.
          the later kataginu of the post-1600 Edo period.

          Basically, from what I have seen, the kataginu appears to have begun life as
          simply a hitatare without the arms. Later on it became a very
          broad-shouldered garment, with the 'wings' most people think of in many
          samurai movies.

          There is a good pattern for a simple kataginu supplied by Effingham-dono in
          the files section.