Re: [SCA-JML] Re: greetings

    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
      Douglas Shannon wrote:

      > Thanks!
      >
      > Of all the 'armor' searches I have done, the word 'process' never came to
      > mind.

      Actually, this is "Usagi-tei" -- there's a link to them -- and a comment or
      two about them -- on the links pages of my armour manual.

      Http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
        Nate Ledbetter wrote:

        > Hello all!
        >
        > Would anyone happen to have a recipe for wagashi,
        > specifically omanju? Maybe momiji manju? I've looked
        > all over the net and can't find anything...thanks!

        Hm. I've never looked. I imagine there are recipes online, but they're
        probably in Japanese...

        Effingham
      • Nate Ledbetter
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
          Yeah, I just haven't gotten up the energy (and my word
          tank) to look on YahooJapan yet. Just wondering if
          maybe someone had it in English...please forgive my
          dreadfully slothful laziness from this worthless shell
          of a thing!

          shonaigawa

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • Markejag@aol.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
            What kind? Or better yet, for us non-Japanese reading peoples, what exactly
            do you mean by momiji manju?

            I have three recipes, hikicha-manju (green tea flavored buns with sweet bean
            paste), kuzu-manju (arrowroot starch bun) and kuri-manju (chestnut buns with
            no chestnuts)
            I also have one for dora-yaki, (sweet bean paste sandwiched between 2 small
            sweet pancakes).

            Bun-ami

            > Nate Ledbetter wrote:
            >
            > > Hello all!
            > >
            > > Would anyone happen to have a recipe for wagashi,
            > > specifically omanju? Maybe momiji manju? I've looked
            > > all over the net and can't find anything...thanks!
            >
            > Hm. I've never looked. I imagine there are recipes online, but they're
            > probably in Japanese...
            >
            > Effingham

          • Rosemary Norwood
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
              I would love to see all of those recipes! Please share!

              Rosemary

              On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 04:28:24PM -0500, Markejag@... wrote:
              > What kind? Or better yet, for us non-Japanese reading peoples, what exactly
              > do you mean by momiji manju?
              >
              > I have three recipes, hikicha-manju (green tea flavored buns with sweet bean
              > paste), kuzu-manju (arrowroot starch bun) and kuri-manju (chestnut buns with
              > no chestnuts)
              > I also have one for dora-yaki, (sweet bean paste sandwiched between 2 small
              > sweet pancakes).
              >
              > Bun-ami

            • Nate Ledbetter
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                Bun-ami-dono:

                I'd take all the recipes you can get. Momiji manju is
                the momiji (maple) shaped omanju common to the
                Hiroshima area--I believe it can be filled with most
                standard fillings. But any of the kinds you mentioned
                sound wonderful. Any recipes you can provide would be
                very much appreciated.

                Shonaigawa

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                  any cnance of you posting those recipes??
                  -kiyohara

                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                • Markejag@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                    To anyone who is interested.

                    I posted the recipes for the manju on the SCA-JML, Yahoo!Groups account
                    files. The are in a new folder called "Recipes" under the Manju recipe file.
                    The file is in MS Word. For you MAC users, sorry :-( I know nothing about
                    MAC's. Maybe someone on the list can distill the MS Word into a PDF file.
                    If you don't know how to access Yahoo!Groups Account, send me your e-mail
                    address and I will forward the MS Word document to you.

                    Bun'ami

                  • Nate Ledbetter
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                      My wife heartily thanks you, and so do I. She couldn't
                      wait for it to finish printing before she was pulling
                      it out to see what we needed.

                      Shonaigawa

                      --- Markejag@... wrote:
                      > To anyone who is interested.
                      >
                      > I posted the recipes for the manju on the SCA-JML,
                      > Yahoo!Groups account
                      > files. The are in a new folder called "Recipes"
                      > under the Manju recipe file.
                      > The file is in MS Word. For you MAC users, sorry
                      > :-( I know nothing about
                      > MAC's. Maybe someone on the list can distill the MS
                      > Word into a PDF file.
                      > If you don't know how to access Yahoo!Groups
                      > Account, send me your e-mail
                      > address and I will forward the MS Word document to
                      > you.
                      >
                      > Bun'ami

                      > removed]

                      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                    • fuzzybunz2002
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 8, 2002
                        Ohayou gozaimasu Grim-sama....

                        Would you by any chance also be known as Kojiro-sama for False
                        Isle...<grin>

                        --- In sca-jml@y..., Grim Shieldsson <grimshieldsson@y...> wrote:
                      • Grim Shieldsson
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 8, 2002
                          Nope.

                          --- fuzzybunz2002 <fuzzybunz@...> wrote:
                          > Ohayou gozaimasu Grim-sama....
                          >
                          > Would you by any chance also be known as Kojiro-sama for False
                          > Isle...<grin>
                          >

                          > --- In sca-jml@y..., Grim Shieldsson <grimshieldsson@y...> wrote:
                          > > --- Douglas Shannon <Professor03@h...> wrote:

                          =====
                          Grim Shieldsson (James A Barrows)
                          Acting Chieftain of Clan StormWolf
                          Barbarian Freehold Alliance
                          "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits."
                          --Plutarch

                          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                        • rahlyns
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 18, 2002
                            I would love any of recipes if you would be willing to share. I am
                            still just getting going on foodstuffs, and I'm going slowly.

                            --- In sca-jml@y..., Markejag@a... wrote:
                            > What kind? Or better yet, for us non-Japanese reading peoples,
                            what exactly
                            > do you mean by momiji manju?
                            >
                            > I have three recipes, hikicha-manju (green tea flavored buns with
                            sweet bean
                            > paste), kuzu-manju (arrowroot starch bun) and kuri-manju (chestnut
                            buns with
                            > no chestnuts)
                            > I also have one for dora-yaki, (sweet bean paste sandwiched between
                            2 small
                            > sweet pancakes).
                            >
                            > Bun-ami
                            >
                            > > Nate Ledbetter wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Hello all!
                            > > >
                            > > > Would anyone happen to have a recipe for wagashi,
                            > > > specifically omanju? Maybe momiji manju? I've looked
                            > > > all over the net and can't find anything...thanks!
                            > >
                            > > Hm. I've never looked. I imagine there are recipes online, but
                            they're
                            > > probably in Japanese...
                            > >
                            > > Effingham

                          • Justin P Barney
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 21, 2002
                              I also just joined this list. I have come home to a Japanese persona
                              from the Norseman that I was. I originally wanted to be samurai, but
                              where I came up in the SCA there were no non-europeans and I was told
                              that Japanese was not a good idea. I have since learned otherwise. I am
                              now in the Barony of Thescorre in Aethelmarc and am greatly interested in
                              learning anything that anyone is willing to share about medieval Japanese
                              life and ways. I am primarily a heavy fighter, but I have great interest
                              in tea ceremony, music, and art.

                              I am happy to meet you all.

                              Ozumi Takezou
                            • Bill Fornshell
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 21, 2002
                                Hi, I also am involved with Chanoyu as a way of life.
                                Are you a part of any of the Japanese Tea Schools? I
                                also do many of the traditional Japanese arts that
                                support Chanoyu.

                                --- Justin P Barney <lornix@...> wrote:
                                > I also just joined this list. I have come home to a
                                > Japanese persona
                                > from the Norseman that I was. I originally wanted
                                > to be samurai, but
                                > where I came up in the SCA there were no
                                > non-europeans and I was told
                                > that Japanese was not a good idea. I have since
                                > learned otherwise. I am
                                > now in the Barony of Thescorre in Aethelmarc and am
                                > greatly interested in
                                > learning anything that anyone is willing to share
                                > about medieval Japanese
                                > life and ways. I am primarily a heavy fighter, but
                                > I have great interest
                                > in tea ceremony, music, and art.
                                >
                                > I am happy to meet you all.
                                >
                                > Ozumi Takezou

                                =====
                                Bill Fornshell
                                Founder and President
                                Cold Mountain Chanoyu
                                (Tea School for the New Millennium)
                                School of One
                                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

                                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                              • chagin1
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                                  --- In sca-jml@y..., Justin P Barney <lornix@j...> wrote:
                                  > ... I am primarily a heavy fighter, but I have great interest
                                  > in tea ceremony, music, and art.

                                  Welcome. I actually started with a Japanese persona, and added a
                                  western one for convenience (there was a time of extreme disfavor for
                                  anything not western euro romatic pre-renn). I fought heavy list in
                                  Japanese styled armor (steel, self-made, initially do-maru, later
                                  converted to hara-maki-do) until advancing age and a bad back coupled
                                  with accumulating injuries made me stop. I have since gone to rapier,
                                  for which the western persona is "better", but keep the Japanese one,
                                  especially for Tea Ceremony. Persona-wise I was a hatamoto and sado to
                                  an outlying minor daimyo. It worked well since the household was
                                  Japanese. There usually is a Tea (both classes and performance) at
                                  Pennnsic (Solveig?). There is also some shinai activity
                                  (proto-kendo?) around.

                                  Takanofuji Ryu-no-kami Sakura-no-Genshin Jutte
                                  (aka Seamus, mka elmar).
                                • Heather Benson
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                                    the same thing happened when I joined the SCA. "You
                                    know, they just don't do that kind of thing..." Glad
                                    you could find us :)

                                    Currently Mara the Mouse
                                    Barony of the Flaming Gryphon
                                    Middle Kingdom

                                    http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                                  • Mokurai
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                                      I should know where Thescorre is... upstate NY?

                                      I'm close to Philadelphia. Anyway. I mention it because we do have several
                                      Japanese personae in AEthelmarc including Sir Koredono and various Yama
                                      Kaminari Clan members. I am sure you have friends about!

                                      - mokurai

                                    • Don Luby
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                                        On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Mokurai wrote:

                                        > I should know where Thescorre is... upstate NY?

                                        Thescorre is Rochester (clever anagram, huh?)

                                        > I'm close to Philadelphia. Anyway. I mention it because we do have
                                        > several Japanese personae in AEthelmarc including Sir Koredono and
                                        > various Yama Kaminari Clan members. I am sure you have friends about!

                                        Well, while I'm in AEthelmearc, I'm in Debatable Lands, ~5 hours
                                        from Thescorre - he'd have a shorter drive to ~Albany, where Sir
                                        Yoshitsune and his portin of Yama Kaminari are than to where I am.
                                        Luckily for him, though, a significant number of Yama Kaminari
                                        members are spread out in 'Thruway baronies' (Rhydderich Hael,
                                        Thescorre, Delftwood, and Concordia) and the shires in that general
                                        area for him to find someone to help. Sir Ogami lives in the
                                        Rhydderich Hael (Buffalo), so that's where the 'home' of our clan is,
                                        and even if he himself is are to get a hold of, there's lots of other
                                        folks in that area.

                                        > - mokurai

                                        Sir Koredono

                                        Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no Koredono
                                        djl@... Yama-kaminari-ryu
                                      • Barbara Nostrand
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 23, 2002

                                          Greetings from Solveig! I am in Northern Outpost which is 1.5 hours from
                                          Skraeling Althing, 2.0 hours from L'ile du Dragon Dormant , and 3.0
                                          hours from Delftwood.

                                        • Justin P Barney
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 23, 2002
                                            Yes, Thescorre is Rochester NY. Fun in the snow (gotta love lake effect
                                            snowstorms....well, maybe not)

                                            We are a little over an hour from the Hael. I have had the pleasure of
                                            meeting Ogami-sama and a couple Yama Kaminari from there. The next time
                                            I get to speak with Ogami-sama I hope to ask him a few questions about
                                            his drums.

                                            "Are you a part of any of the Japanese Tea Schools?" No, I have done a
                                            great deal of reading on the subject and have tried following portions of
                                            the ritual but I have not actually found a teacher or someone to do the
                                            ceremony with. I hope to find someone relatively local from which I can
                                            learn more about this.

                                            Thanks to everyone for the advice and the welcomes. It seems I have
                                            found a good place to be. :)

                                            Ozumi Takezou

                                            ------