Re: [SCA-JML] Re: greetings

  • Grim Shieldsson
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 3, 2002
      --- Douglas Shannon <Professor03@...> wrote:
      > Greetings All,

      <snip>
      </snip>
      <tongue position="in cheek">
      <seriousness level="not even a little bit">

      > I've been trying to find patterns for kimonos and other garb on the
      > net with
      > little luck, does anyone know where I might find a decent, period
      > pattern?

      I wouldn't look in the files section of the group at all.. there's
      nothing there of use at all.

      > Also, I had found a site for a villiage in Japan that had the
      > patterns for
      > (what I think was post SCA period) samurai armor made from
      > card-board. Has
      > anyone else seen this site and is it usable to make SCA heavy list
      > armor? if
      > not, does anyone have any recommendations for where I can find
      > patterns for
      > samurai armor that I can use for heavy fighting (obviously I'll need
      > to get
      > a custom helm made).

      The links section also pretty much sucks. No great websites listed for
      armor patterns and the like. Nope.. none whatsoever.

      > Thank you for the time and assistance,

      No problem, hope I haven't been helpful.

      > Douglas the Indecisive

      To decide not to decide is still a decision therefore, you are not
      indecdisive.

      > one more question...

      *SIGH*

      > Does anyone know of any SCA heavy fighters that do Japanese in the
      > New York
      > City area (East Kingdom)??

      Nope... no one does japanese there at all there is no great clan of
      japanese warriors. NOpe.. not all...

      </tongue>
      </seriousness>

      Sorry about that..
      check out the links, file and other useful information at
      groups.yahoo.com/groups/sca-jml
      Great information on all of those questions and MORE!!!! :)
      hth...

      =====
      Grim Shieldsson (James A Barrows)
      Acting Chieftain of Clan StormWolf
      Barbarian Freehold Alliance
      "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits."
      --Plutarch

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Douglas Shannon
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 4, 2002
        > From: Grim Shieldsson <grimshieldsson@...>
        >Subject: Re: Re: greetings
        >
        ><snip>
        ></snip>
        ><tongue position="in cheek">
        ><seriousness level="not even a little bit">
        >
        > > I've been trying to find patterns for kimonos and other garb on the
        > > net with
        > > little luck, does anyone know where I might find a decent, period
        > > pattern?
        >
        >I wouldn't look in the files section of the group at all.. there's
        >nothing there of use at all.

        I have since discovered the files section and printed most of it out.
        Useless or not.

        > > Also, I had found a site for a villiage in Japan that had the
        > > patterns for
        > > (what I think was post SCA period) samurai armor made from
        > > card-board.
        >The links section also pretty much sucks. No great websites listed for
        >armor patterns and the like. Nope.. none whatsoever.

        And the links have entertained me for hours since my initial discovery of
        them...

        again... much printing... little content...

        > > Thank you for the time and assistance,
        >No problem, hope I haven't been helpful.

        Your hopes have born fruit.

        > > Douglas the Indecisive
        >To decide not to decide is still a decision therefore, you are not
        >indecdisive.

        If I could decide upon how to respond to this, I would probably be confused
        by your logic... but I can't make up my mind about how to react.

        Douglas the Indecisive

        > > one more question...
        >*SIGH*

        I know...

        These darned new guys that don't fully explore the web-site before asking
        questions, are such a pain in the arse.

        > > Does anyone know of any SCA heavy fighters that do Japanese in the
        > > New York
        > > City area (East Kingdom)??
        >Nope... no one does japanese there at all there is no great clan of
        >japanese warriors. NOpe.. not all...

        All joking aside...

        I actually, completely forgot about the nearly half-dozen people in the area
        that I know of that do Japanese...

        ></tongue>
        ></seriousness>
        >
        >Sorry about that..
        >check out the links, file and other useful information at
        >groups.yahoo.com/groups/sca-jml
        >Great information on all of those questions and MORE!!!! :)
        >hth...

        No problem.

        Everytime I go on YahooGroups, I completely forget about the files and links
        pages...

        I must have spent over an hour exploring/printing the various stuff there.

        Thanks for the help!!

      • jim e grunst
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 4, 2002
          Just do an internet search on term 'armor process'
          you'll find a link to their site

          Tochiro

          > Also, I had found a site for a villiage in Japan that had the
          > patterns for
          > (what I think was post SCA period) samurai armor made from
          > card-board. Has
          > anyone else seen this site and is it usable to make SCA heavy list
          > armor? if
          > not, does anyone have any recommendations for where I can find
          > patterns for
          > samurai armor that I can use for heavy fighting (obviously I'll need
          > to get
          > a custom helm made).

          GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
        • Nate Ledbetter
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 4, 2002
            Hello all!

            Would anyone happen to have a recipe for wagashi,
            specifically omanju? Maybe momiji manju? I've looked
            all over the net and can't find anything...thanks!

            Shonaigawa

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • Douglas Shannon
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
              > From: jim e grunst <scadragon@...>
              >
              >Just do an internet search on term 'armor process'
              >you'll find a link to their site
              >
              > Tochiro
              >

              > > Also, I had found a site for a villiage in Japan that had the
              > > patterns for
              > > (what I think was post SCA period) samurai armor made from
              > > card-board. Has
              > > anyone else seen this site and is it usable to make SCA heavy list
              > > armor? if
              > > not, does anyone have any recommendations for where I can find
              > > patterns for
              > > samurai armor that I can use for heavy fighting (obviously I'll need
              > > to get
              > > a custom helm made).

              Thanks!

              Of all the 'armor' searches I have done, the word 'process' never came to
              mind.

              Douglas the Indecisive

              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                Douglas Shannon wrote:

                > Thanks!
                >
                > Of all the 'armor' searches I have done, the word 'process' never came to
                > mind.

                Actually, this is "Usagi-tei" -- there's a link to them -- and a comment or
                two about them -- on the links pages of my armour manual.

                Http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                  Nate Ledbetter wrote:

                  > Hello all!
                  >
                  > Would anyone happen to have a recipe for wagashi,
                  > specifically omanju? Maybe momiji manju? I've looked
                  > all over the net and can't find anything...thanks!

                  Hm. I've never looked. I imagine there are recipes online, but they're
                  probably in Japanese...

                  Effingham
                • Nate Ledbetter
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                    Yeah, I just haven't gotten up the energy (and my word
                    tank) to look on YahooJapan yet. Just wondering if
                    maybe someone had it in English...please forgive my
                    dreadfully slothful laziness from this worthless shell
                    of a thing!

                    shonaigawa

                    http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                  • Markejag@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                      What kind? Or better yet, for us non-Japanese reading peoples, what exactly
                      do you mean by momiji manju?

                      I have three recipes, hikicha-manju (green tea flavored buns with sweet bean
                      paste), kuzu-manju (arrowroot starch bun) and kuri-manju (chestnut buns with
                      no chestnuts)
                      I also have one for dora-yaki, (sweet bean paste sandwiched between 2 small
                      sweet pancakes).

                      Bun-ami

                      > Nate Ledbetter wrote:
                      >
                      > > Hello all!
                      > >
                      > > Would anyone happen to have a recipe for wagashi,
                      > > specifically omanju? Maybe momiji manju? I've looked
                      > > all over the net and can't find anything...thanks!
                      >
                      > Hm. I've never looked. I imagine there are recipes online, but they're
                      > probably in Japanese...
                      >
                      > Effingham

                    • Rosemary Norwood
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                        I would love to see all of those recipes! Please share!

                        Rosemary

                        On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 04:28:24PM -0500, Markejag@... wrote:
                        > What kind? Or better yet, for us non-Japanese reading peoples, what exactly
                        > do you mean by momiji manju?
                        >
                        > I have three recipes, hikicha-manju (green tea flavored buns with sweet bean
                        > paste), kuzu-manju (arrowroot starch bun) and kuri-manju (chestnut buns with
                        > no chestnuts)
                        > I also have one for dora-yaki, (sweet bean paste sandwiched between 2 small
                        > sweet pancakes).
                        >
                        > Bun-ami

                      • Nate Ledbetter
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                          Bun-ami-dono:

                          I'd take all the recipes you can get. Momiji manju is
                          the momiji (maple) shaped omanju common to the
                          Hiroshima area--I believe it can be filled with most
                          standard fillings. But any of the kinds you mentioned
                          sound wonderful. Any recipes you can provide would be
                          very much appreciated.

                          Shonaigawa

                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                            any cnance of you posting those recipes??
                            -kiyohara

                            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                          • Markejag@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                              To anyone who is interested.

                              I posted the recipes for the manju on the SCA-JML, Yahoo!Groups account
                              files. The are in a new folder called "Recipes" under the Manju recipe file.
                              The file is in MS Word. For you MAC users, sorry :-( I know nothing about
                              MAC's. Maybe someone on the list can distill the MS Word into a PDF file.
                              If you don't know how to access Yahoo!Groups Account, send me your e-mail
                              address and I will forward the MS Word document to you.

                              Bun'ami

                            • Nate Ledbetter
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                                My wife heartily thanks you, and so do I. She couldn't
                                wait for it to finish printing before she was pulling
                                it out to see what we needed.

                                Shonaigawa

                                --- Markejag@... wrote:
                                > To anyone who is interested.
                                >
                                > I posted the recipes for the manju on the SCA-JML,
                                > Yahoo!Groups account
                                > files. The are in a new folder called "Recipes"
                                > under the Manju recipe file.
                                > The file is in MS Word. For you MAC users, sorry
                                > :-( I know nothing about
                                > MAC's. Maybe someone on the list can distill the MS
                                > Word into a PDF file.
                                > If you don't know how to access Yahoo!Groups
                                > Account, send me your e-mail
                                > address and I will forward the MS Word document to
                                > you.
                                >
                                > Bun'ami

                                > removed]

                                http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                              • fuzzybunz2002
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 8, 2002
                                  Ohayou gozaimasu Grim-sama....

                                  Would you by any chance also be known as Kojiro-sama for False
                                  Isle...<grin>

                                  --- In sca-jml@y..., Grim Shieldsson <grimshieldsson@y...> wrote:
                                • Grim Shieldsson
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 8, 2002
                                    Nope.

                                    --- fuzzybunz2002 <fuzzybunz@...> wrote:
                                    > Ohayou gozaimasu Grim-sama....
                                    >
                                    > Would you by any chance also be known as Kojiro-sama for False
                                    > Isle...<grin>
                                    >

                                    > --- In sca-jml@y..., Grim Shieldsson <grimshieldsson@y...> wrote:
                                    > > --- Douglas Shannon <Professor03@h...> wrote:

                                    =====
                                    Grim Shieldsson (James A Barrows)
                                    Acting Chieftain of Clan StormWolf
                                    Barbarian Freehold Alliance
                                    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits."
                                    --Plutarch

                                    http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                  • rahlyns
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 18, 2002
                                      I would love any of recipes if you would be willing to share. I am
                                      still just getting going on foodstuffs, and I'm going slowly.

                                      --- In sca-jml@y..., Markejag@a... wrote:
                                      > What kind? Or better yet, for us non-Japanese reading peoples,
                                      what exactly
                                      > do you mean by momiji manju?
                                      >
                                      > I have three recipes, hikicha-manju (green tea flavored buns with
                                      sweet bean
                                      > paste), kuzu-manju (arrowroot starch bun) and kuri-manju (chestnut
                                      buns with
                                      > no chestnuts)
                                      > I also have one for dora-yaki, (sweet bean paste sandwiched between
                                      2 small
                                      > sweet pancakes).
                                      >
                                      > Bun-ami
                                      >
                                      > > Nate Ledbetter wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > > Hello all!
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Would anyone happen to have a recipe for wagashi,
                                      > > > specifically omanju? Maybe momiji manju? I've looked
                                      > > > all over the net and can't find anything...thanks!
                                      > >
                                      > > Hm. I've never looked. I imagine there are recipes online, but
                                      they're
                                      > > probably in Japanese...
                                      > >
                                      > > Effingham

                                    • Justin P Barney
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 21, 2002
                                        I also just joined this list. I have come home to a Japanese persona
                                        from the Norseman that I was. I originally wanted to be samurai, but
                                        where I came up in the SCA there were no non-europeans and I was told
                                        that Japanese was not a good idea. I have since learned otherwise. I am
                                        now in the Barony of Thescorre in Aethelmarc and am greatly interested in
                                        learning anything that anyone is willing to share about medieval Japanese
                                        life and ways. I am primarily a heavy fighter, but I have great interest
                                        in tea ceremony, music, and art.

                                        I am happy to meet you all.

                                        Ozumi Takezou
                                      • Bill Fornshell
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 21, 2002
                                          Hi, I also am involved with Chanoyu as a way of life.
                                          Are you a part of any of the Japanese Tea Schools? I
                                          also do many of the traditional Japanese arts that
                                          support Chanoyu.

                                          --- Justin P Barney <lornix@...> wrote:
                                          > I also just joined this list. I have come home to a
                                          > Japanese persona
                                          > from the Norseman that I was. I originally wanted
                                          > to be samurai, but
                                          > where I came up in the SCA there were no
                                          > non-europeans and I was told
                                          > that Japanese was not a good idea. I have since
                                          > learned otherwise. I am
                                          > now in the Barony of Thescorre in Aethelmarc and am
                                          > greatly interested in
                                          > learning anything that anyone is willing to share
                                          > about medieval Japanese
                                          > life and ways. I am primarily a heavy fighter, but
                                          > I have great interest
                                          > in tea ceremony, music, and art.
                                          >
                                          > I am happy to meet you all.
                                          >
                                          > Ozumi Takezou

                                          =====
                                          Bill Fornshell
                                          Founder and President
                                          Cold Mountain Chanoyu
                                          (Tea School for the New Millennium)
                                          School of One
                                          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

                                          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                                        • chagin1
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                                            --- In sca-jml@y..., Justin P Barney <lornix@j...> wrote:
                                            > ... I am primarily a heavy fighter, but I have great interest
                                            > in tea ceremony, music, and art.

                                            Welcome. I actually started with a Japanese persona, and added a
                                            western one for convenience (there was a time of extreme disfavor for
                                            anything not western euro romatic pre-renn). I fought heavy list in
                                            Japanese styled armor (steel, self-made, initially do-maru, later
                                            converted to hara-maki-do) until advancing age and a bad back coupled
                                            with accumulating injuries made me stop. I have since gone to rapier,
                                            for which the western persona is "better", but keep the Japanese one,
                                            especially for Tea Ceremony. Persona-wise I was a hatamoto and sado to
                                            an outlying minor daimyo. It worked well since the household was
                                            Japanese. There usually is a Tea (both classes and performance) at
                                            Pennnsic (Solveig?). There is also some shinai activity
                                            (proto-kendo?) around.

                                            Takanofuji Ryu-no-kami Sakura-no-Genshin Jutte
                                            (aka Seamus, mka elmar).
                                          • Heather Benson
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                                              the same thing happened when I joined the SCA. "You
                                              know, they just don't do that kind of thing..." Glad
                                              you could find us :)

                                              Currently Mara the Mouse
                                              Barony of the Flaming Gryphon
                                              Middle Kingdom

                                              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                                            • Mokurai
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                                                I should know where Thescorre is... upstate NY?

                                                I'm close to Philadelphia. Anyway. I mention it because we do have several
                                                Japanese personae in AEthelmarc including Sir Koredono and various Yama
                                                Kaminari Clan members. I am sure you have friends about!

                                                - mokurai

                                              • Don Luby
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                                                  On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Mokurai wrote:

                                                  > I should know where Thescorre is... upstate NY?

                                                  Thescorre is Rochester (clever anagram, huh?)

                                                  > I'm close to Philadelphia. Anyway. I mention it because we do have
                                                  > several Japanese personae in AEthelmarc including Sir Koredono and
                                                  > various Yama Kaminari Clan members. I am sure you have friends about!

                                                  Well, while I'm in AEthelmearc, I'm in Debatable Lands, ~5 hours
                                                  from Thescorre - he'd have a shorter drive to ~Albany, where Sir
                                                  Yoshitsune and his portin of Yama Kaminari are than to where I am.
                                                  Luckily for him, though, a significant number of Yama Kaminari
                                                  members are spread out in 'Thruway baronies' (Rhydderich Hael,
                                                  Thescorre, Delftwood, and Concordia) and the shires in that general
                                                  area for him to find someone to help. Sir Ogami lives in the
                                                  Rhydderich Hael (Buffalo), so that's where the 'home' of our clan is,
                                                  and even if he himself is are to get a hold of, there's lots of other
                                                  folks in that area.

                                                  > - mokurai

                                                  Sir Koredono

                                                  Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no Koredono
                                                  djl@... Yama-kaminari-ryu
                                                • Barbara Nostrand
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Nov 23, 2002

                                                    Greetings from Solveig! I am in Northern Outpost which is 1.5 hours from
                                                    Skraeling Althing, 2.0 hours from L'ile du Dragon Dormant , and 3.0
                                                    hours from Delftwood.

                                                  • Justin P Barney
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Nov 23, 2002
                                                      Yes, Thescorre is Rochester NY. Fun in the snow (gotta love lake effect
                                                      snowstorms....well, maybe not)

                                                      We are a little over an hour from the Hael. I have had the pleasure of
                                                      meeting Ogami-sama and a couple Yama Kaminari from there. The next time
                                                      I get to speak with Ogami-sama I hope to ask him a few questions about
                                                      his drums.

                                                      "Are you a part of any of the Japanese Tea Schools?" No, I have done a
                                                      great deal of reading on the subject and have tried following portions of
                                                      the ritual but I have not actually found a teacher or someone to do the
                                                      ceremony with. I hope to find someone relatively local from which I can
                                                      learn more about this.

                                                      Thanks to everyone for the advice and the welcomes. It seems I have
                                                      found a good place to be. :)

                                                      Ozumi Takezou

                                                      ------