Re: greetings

  • Douglas Shannon
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 3, 2002
      Greetings All,

      I just signed onto the list and wanted to drop a hello and a question or
      two. I've been in the SCA for three and a half years, but recently became
      interested in Japanese culture and samuria because of a college assignment.

      I've been trying to find patterns for kimonos and other garb on the net with
      little luck, does anyone know where I might find a decent, period pattern?

      Also, I had found a site for a villiage in Japan that had the patterns for
      (what I think was post SCA period) samurai armor made from card-board. Has
      anyone else seen this site and is it usable to make SCA heavy list armor? if
      not, does anyone have any recommendations for where I can find patterns for
      samurai armor that I can use for heavy fighting (obviously I'll need to get
      a custom helm made).

      Thank you for the time and assistance,

      Douglas the Indecisive

      one more question...

      Does anyone know of any SCA heavy fighters that do Japanese in the New York
      City area (East Kingdom)??

    • Grim Shieldsson
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 3, 2002
        --- Douglas Shannon <Professor03@...> wrote:
        > Greetings All,

        <snip>
        </snip>
        <tongue position="in cheek">
        <seriousness level="not even a little bit">

        > I've been trying to find patterns for kimonos and other garb on the
        > net with
        > little luck, does anyone know where I might find a decent, period
        > pattern?

        I wouldn't look in the files section of the group at all.. there's
        nothing there of use at all.

        > Also, I had found a site for a villiage in Japan that had the
        > patterns for
        > (what I think was post SCA period) samurai armor made from
        > card-board. Has
        > anyone else seen this site and is it usable to make SCA heavy list
        > armor? if
        > not, does anyone have any recommendations for where I can find
        > patterns for
        > samurai armor that I can use for heavy fighting (obviously I'll need
        > to get
        > a custom helm made).

        The links section also pretty much sucks. No great websites listed for
        armor patterns and the like. Nope.. none whatsoever.

        > Thank you for the time and assistance,

        No problem, hope I haven't been helpful.

        > Douglas the Indecisive

        To decide not to decide is still a decision therefore, you are not
        indecdisive.

        > one more question...

        *SIGH*

        > Does anyone know of any SCA heavy fighters that do Japanese in the
        > New York
        > City area (East Kingdom)??

        Nope... no one does japanese there at all there is no great clan of
        japanese warriors. NOpe.. not all...

        </tongue>
        </seriousness>

        Sorry about that..
        check out the links, file and other useful information at
        groups.yahoo.com/groups/sca-jml
        Great information on all of those questions and MORE!!!! :)
        hth...

        =====
        Grim Shieldsson (James A Barrows)
        Acting Chieftain of Clan StormWolf
        Barbarian Freehold Alliance
        "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits."
        --Plutarch

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • Douglas Shannon
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 4, 2002
          > From: Grim Shieldsson <grimshieldsson@...>
          >Subject: Re: Re: greetings
          >
          ><snip>
          ></snip>
          ><tongue position="in cheek">
          ><seriousness level="not even a little bit">
          >
          > > I've been trying to find patterns for kimonos and other garb on the
          > > net with
          > > little luck, does anyone know where I might find a decent, period
          > > pattern?
          >
          >I wouldn't look in the files section of the group at all.. there's
          >nothing there of use at all.

          I have since discovered the files section and printed most of it out.
          Useless or not.

          > > Also, I had found a site for a villiage in Japan that had the
          > > patterns for
          > > (what I think was post SCA period) samurai armor made from
          > > card-board.
          >The links section also pretty much sucks. No great websites listed for
          >armor patterns and the like. Nope.. none whatsoever.

          And the links have entertained me for hours since my initial discovery of
          them...

          again... much printing... little content...

          > > Thank you for the time and assistance,
          >No problem, hope I haven't been helpful.

          Your hopes have born fruit.

          > > Douglas the Indecisive
          >To decide not to decide is still a decision therefore, you are not
          >indecdisive.

          If I could decide upon how to respond to this, I would probably be confused
          by your logic... but I can't make up my mind about how to react.

          Douglas the Indecisive

          > > one more question...
          >*SIGH*

          I know...

          These darned new guys that don't fully explore the web-site before asking
          questions, are such a pain in the arse.

          > > Does anyone know of any SCA heavy fighters that do Japanese in the
          > > New York
          > > City area (East Kingdom)??
          >Nope... no one does japanese there at all there is no great clan of
          >japanese warriors. NOpe.. not all...

          All joking aside...

          I actually, completely forgot about the nearly half-dozen people in the area
          that I know of that do Japanese...

          ></tongue>
          ></seriousness>
          >
          >Sorry about that..
          >check out the links, file and other useful information at
          >groups.yahoo.com/groups/sca-jml
          >Great information on all of those questions and MORE!!!! :)
          >hth...

          No problem.

          Everytime I go on YahooGroups, I completely forget about the files and links
          pages...

          I must have spent over an hour exploring/printing the various stuff there.

          Thanks for the help!!

        • jim e grunst
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 4, 2002
            Just do an internet search on term 'armor process'
            you'll find a link to their site

            Tochiro

            > Also, I had found a site for a villiage in Japan that had the
            > patterns for
            > (what I think was post SCA period) samurai armor made from
            > card-board. Has
            > anyone else seen this site and is it usable to make SCA heavy list
            > armor? if
            > not, does anyone have any recommendations for where I can find
            > patterns for
            > samurai armor that I can use for heavy fighting (obviously I'll need
            > to get
            > a custom helm made).

            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.
          • Nate Ledbetter
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 4, 2002
              Hello all!

              Would anyone happen to have a recipe for wagashi,
              specifically omanju? Maybe momiji manju? I've looked
              all over the net and can't find anything...thanks!

              Shonaigawa

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
            • Douglas Shannon
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                > From: jim e grunst <scadragon@...>
                >
                >Just do an internet search on term 'armor process'
                >you'll find a link to their site
                >
                > Tochiro
                >

                > > Also, I had found a site for a villiage in Japan that had the
                > > patterns for
                > > (what I think was post SCA period) samurai armor made from
                > > card-board. Has
                > > anyone else seen this site and is it usable to make SCA heavy list
                > > armor? if
                > > not, does anyone have any recommendations for where I can find
                > > patterns for
                > > samurai armor that I can use for heavy fighting (obviously I'll need
                > > to get
                > > a custom helm made).

                Thanks!

                Of all the 'armor' searches I have done, the word 'process' never came to
                mind.

                Douglas the Indecisive

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                  Douglas Shannon wrote:

                  > Thanks!
                  >
                  > Of all the 'armor' searches I have done, the word 'process' never came to
                  > mind.

                  Actually, this is "Usagi-tei" -- there's a link to them -- and a comment or
                  two about them -- on the links pages of my armour manual.

                  Http://www.sengokudaimyo.com

                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                    Nate Ledbetter wrote:

                    > Hello all!
                    >
                    > Would anyone happen to have a recipe for wagashi,
                    > specifically omanju? Maybe momiji manju? I've looked
                    > all over the net and can't find anything...thanks!

                    Hm. I've never looked. I imagine there are recipes online, but they're
                    probably in Japanese...

                    Effingham
                  • Nate Ledbetter
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                      Yeah, I just haven't gotten up the energy (and my word
                      tank) to look on YahooJapan yet. Just wondering if
                      maybe someone had it in English...please forgive my
                      dreadfully slothful laziness from this worthless shell
                      of a thing!

                      shonaigawa

                      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                    • Markejag@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                        What kind? Or better yet, for us non-Japanese reading peoples, what exactly
                        do you mean by momiji manju?

                        I have three recipes, hikicha-manju (green tea flavored buns with sweet bean
                        paste), kuzu-manju (arrowroot starch bun) and kuri-manju (chestnut buns with
                        no chestnuts)
                        I also have one for dora-yaki, (sweet bean paste sandwiched between 2 small
                        sweet pancakes).

                        Bun-ami

                        > Nate Ledbetter wrote:
                        >
                        > > Hello all!
                        > >
                        > > Would anyone happen to have a recipe for wagashi,
                        > > specifically omanju? Maybe momiji manju? I've looked
                        > > all over the net and can't find anything...thanks!
                        >
                        > Hm. I've never looked. I imagine there are recipes online, but they're
                        > probably in Japanese...
                        >
                        > Effingham

                      • Rosemary Norwood
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                          I would love to see all of those recipes! Please share!

                          Rosemary

                          On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 04:28:24PM -0500, Markejag@... wrote:
                          > What kind? Or better yet, for us non-Japanese reading peoples, what exactly
                          > do you mean by momiji manju?
                          >
                          > I have three recipes, hikicha-manju (green tea flavored buns with sweet bean
                          > paste), kuzu-manju (arrowroot starch bun) and kuri-manju (chestnut buns with
                          > no chestnuts)
                          > I also have one for dora-yaki, (sweet bean paste sandwiched between 2 small
                          > sweet pancakes).
                          >
                          > Bun-ami

                        • Nate Ledbetter
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                            Bun-ami-dono:

                            I'd take all the recipes you can get. Momiji manju is
                            the momiji (maple) shaped omanju common to the
                            Hiroshima area--I believe it can be filled with most
                            standard fillings. But any of the kinds you mentioned
                            sound wonderful. Any recipes you can provide would be
                            very much appreciated.

                            Shonaigawa

                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                              any cnance of you posting those recipes??
                              -kiyohara

                              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                            • Markejag@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                                To anyone who is interested.

                                I posted the recipes for the manju on the SCA-JML, Yahoo!Groups account
                                files. The are in a new folder called "Recipes" under the Manju recipe file.
                                The file is in MS Word. For you MAC users, sorry :-( I know nothing about
                                MAC's. Maybe someone on the list can distill the MS Word into a PDF file.
                                If you don't know how to access Yahoo!Groups Account, send me your e-mail
                                address and I will forward the MS Word document to you.

                                Bun'ami

                              • Nate Ledbetter
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 5, 2002
                                  My wife heartily thanks you, and so do I. She couldn't
                                  wait for it to finish printing before she was pulling
                                  it out to see what we needed.

                                  Shonaigawa

                                  --- Markejag@... wrote:
                                  > To anyone who is interested.
                                  >
                                  > I posted the recipes for the manju on the SCA-JML,
                                  > Yahoo!Groups account
                                  > files. The are in a new folder called "Recipes"
                                  > under the Manju recipe file.
                                  > The file is in MS Word. For you MAC users, sorry
                                  > :-( I know nothing about
                                  > MAC's. Maybe someone on the list can distill the MS
                                  > Word into a PDF file.
                                  > If you don't know how to access Yahoo!Groups
                                  > Account, send me your e-mail
                                  > address and I will forward the MS Word document to
                                  > you.
                                  >
                                  > Bun'ami

                                  > removed]

                                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                • fuzzybunz2002
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 8, 2002
                                    Ohayou gozaimasu Grim-sama....

                                    Would you by any chance also be known as Kojiro-sama for False
                                    Isle...<grin>

                                    --- In sca-jml@y..., Grim Shieldsson <grimshieldsson@y...> wrote:
                                  • Grim Shieldsson
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 8, 2002
                                      Nope.

                                      --- fuzzybunz2002 <fuzzybunz@...> wrote:
                                      > Ohayou gozaimasu Grim-sama....
                                      >
                                      > Would you by any chance also be known as Kojiro-sama for False
                                      > Isle...<grin>
                                      >

                                      > --- In sca-jml@y..., Grim Shieldsson <grimshieldsson@y...> wrote:
                                      > > --- Douglas Shannon <Professor03@h...> wrote:

                                      =====
                                      Grim Shieldsson (James A Barrows)
                                      Acting Chieftain of Clan StormWolf
                                      Barbarian Freehold Alliance
                                      "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits."
                                      --Plutarch

                                      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                                    • rahlyns
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 18, 2002
                                        I would love any of recipes if you would be willing to share. I am
                                        still just getting going on foodstuffs, and I'm going slowly.

                                        --- In sca-jml@y..., Markejag@a... wrote:
                                        > What kind? Or better yet, for us non-Japanese reading peoples,
                                        what exactly
                                        > do you mean by momiji manju?
                                        >
                                        > I have three recipes, hikicha-manju (green tea flavored buns with
                                        sweet bean
                                        > paste), kuzu-manju (arrowroot starch bun) and kuri-manju (chestnut
                                        buns with
                                        > no chestnuts)
                                        > I also have one for dora-yaki, (sweet bean paste sandwiched between
                                        2 small
                                        > sweet pancakes).
                                        >
                                        > Bun-ami
                                        >
                                        > > Nate Ledbetter wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > > Hello all!
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Would anyone happen to have a recipe for wagashi,
                                        > > > specifically omanju? Maybe momiji manju? I've looked
                                        > > > all over the net and can't find anything...thanks!
                                        > >
                                        > > Hm. I've never looked. I imagine there are recipes online, but
                                        they're
                                        > > probably in Japanese...
                                        > >
                                        > > Effingham

                                      • Justin P Barney
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 21, 2002
                                          I also just joined this list. I have come home to a Japanese persona
                                          from the Norseman that I was. I originally wanted to be samurai, but
                                          where I came up in the SCA there were no non-europeans and I was told
                                          that Japanese was not a good idea. I have since learned otherwise. I am
                                          now in the Barony of Thescorre in Aethelmarc and am greatly interested in
                                          learning anything that anyone is willing to share about medieval Japanese
                                          life and ways. I am primarily a heavy fighter, but I have great interest
                                          in tea ceremony, music, and art.

                                          I am happy to meet you all.

                                          Ozumi Takezou
                                        • Bill Fornshell
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 21, 2002
                                            Hi, I also am involved with Chanoyu as a way of life.
                                            Are you a part of any of the Japanese Tea Schools? I
                                            also do many of the traditional Japanese arts that
                                            support Chanoyu.

                                            --- Justin P Barney <lornix@...> wrote:
                                            > I also just joined this list. I have come home to a
                                            > Japanese persona
                                            > from the Norseman that I was. I originally wanted
                                            > to be samurai, but
                                            > where I came up in the SCA there were no
                                            > non-europeans and I was told
                                            > that Japanese was not a good idea. I have since
                                            > learned otherwise. I am
                                            > now in the Barony of Thescorre in Aethelmarc and am
                                            > greatly interested in
                                            > learning anything that anyone is willing to share
                                            > about medieval Japanese
                                            > life and ways. I am primarily a heavy fighter, but
                                            > I have great interest
                                            > in tea ceremony, music, and art.
                                            >
                                            > I am happy to meet you all.
                                            >
                                            > Ozumi Takezou

                                            =====
                                            Bill Fornshell
                                            Founder and President
                                            Cold Mountain Chanoyu
                                            (Tea School for the New Millennium)
                                            School of One
                                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ColdMtnChado

                                            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                                          • chagin1
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                                              --- In sca-jml@y..., Justin P Barney <lornix@j...> wrote:
                                              > ... I am primarily a heavy fighter, but I have great interest
                                              > in tea ceremony, music, and art.

                                              Welcome. I actually started with a Japanese persona, and added a
                                              western one for convenience (there was a time of extreme disfavor for
                                              anything not western euro romatic pre-renn). I fought heavy list in
                                              Japanese styled armor (steel, self-made, initially do-maru, later
                                              converted to hara-maki-do) until advancing age and a bad back coupled
                                              with accumulating injuries made me stop. I have since gone to rapier,
                                              for which the western persona is "better", but keep the Japanese one,
                                              especially for Tea Ceremony. Persona-wise I was a hatamoto and sado to
                                              an outlying minor daimyo. It worked well since the household was
                                              Japanese. There usually is a Tea (both classes and performance) at
                                              Pennnsic (Solveig?). There is also some shinai activity
                                              (proto-kendo?) around.

                                              Takanofuji Ryu-no-kami Sakura-no-Genshin Jutte
                                              (aka Seamus, mka elmar).
                                            • Heather Benson
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                                                the same thing happened when I joined the SCA. "You
                                                know, they just don't do that kind of thing..." Glad
                                                you could find us :)

                                                Currently Mara the Mouse
                                                Barony of the Flaming Gryphon
                                                Middle Kingdom

                                                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                                              • Mokurai
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                                                  I should know where Thescorre is... upstate NY?

                                                  I'm close to Philadelphia. Anyway. I mention it because we do have several
                                                  Japanese personae in AEthelmarc including Sir Koredono and various Yama
                                                  Kaminari Clan members. I am sure you have friends about!

                                                  - mokurai

                                                • Don Luby
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Nov 22, 2002
                                                    On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Mokurai wrote:

                                                    > I should know where Thescorre is... upstate NY?

                                                    Thescorre is Rochester (clever anagram, huh?)

                                                    > I'm close to Philadelphia. Anyway. I mention it because we do have
                                                    > several Japanese personae in AEthelmarc including Sir Koredono and
                                                    > various Yama Kaminari Clan members. I am sure you have friends about!

                                                    Well, while I'm in AEthelmearc, I'm in Debatable Lands, ~5 hours
                                                    from Thescorre - he'd have a shorter drive to ~Albany, where Sir
                                                    Yoshitsune and his portin of Yama Kaminari are than to where I am.
                                                    Luckily for him, though, a significant number of Yama Kaminari
                                                    members are spread out in 'Thruway baronies' (Rhydderich Hael,
                                                    Thescorre, Delftwood, and Concordia) and the shires in that general
                                                    area for him to find someone to help. Sir Ogami lives in the
                                                    Rhydderich Hael (Buffalo), so that's where the 'home' of our clan is,
                                                    and even if he himself is are to get a hold of, there's lots of other
                                                    folks in that area.

                                                    > - mokurai

                                                    Sir Koredono

                                                    Don Luby Magariki Katsuichi no Koredono
                                                    djl@... Yama-kaminari-ryu
                                                  • Barbara Nostrand
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Nov 23, 2002
                                                      Noble Cousins!

                                                      Greetings from Solveig! I am in Northern Outpost which is 1.5 hours from
                                                      Skraeling Althing, 2.0 hours from L'ile du Dragon Dormant , and 3.0
                                                      hours from Delftwood.

                                                    • Justin P Barney
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Nov 23, 2002
                                                        Yes, Thescorre is Rochester NY. Fun in the snow (gotta love lake effect
                                                        snowstorms....well, maybe not)

                                                        We are a little over an hour from the Hael. I have had the pleasure of
                                                        meeting Ogami-sama and a couple Yama Kaminari from there. The next time
                                                        I get to speak with Ogami-sama I hope to ask him a few questions about
                                                        his drums.

                                                        "Are you a part of any of the Japanese Tea Schools?" No, I have done a
                                                        great deal of reading on the subject and have tried following portions of
                                                        the ritual but I have not actually found a teacher or someone to do the
                                                        ceremony with. I hope to find someone relatively local from which I can
                                                        learn more about this.

                                                        Thanks to everyone for the advice and the welcomes. It seems I have
                                                        found a good place to be. :)

                                                        Ozumi Takezou

                                                        ------