Re: [SCA-JML] Translation?

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
      Park McKellop wrote:

      > I've got a question about senmonyugo (field specific vocabulary). I'd like a translation for "core sampler" or something similar to name my 9' spear. Perhaps "destiny" since some men are born to it, and others have it thrust upon them. :-)

      Well, you're going to hate this.

      "Core sampler" is either "koaa sanpuraa" or "chûjô saideiki"

      Effingham
    • Tatsushu .
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002

        > > I've got a question about senmonyugo (field specific vocabulary). I'd
        >like a translation for "core sampler" or something similar to name my 9'
        >spear. Perhaps "destiny" since some men are born to it, and others have it
        >thrust upon them. :-)
        >
        >Well, you're going to hate this.
        >
        >"Core sampler" is either "koaa sanpuraa" or "ch�j� saideiki"

        Now THAT sounds like a proper Japanese rubber hero kiai--'GO KOAA
        SANPURAA!!!!'

        Hmmm... I'm too tired to think properly, but would 'Yarigoto' work as a pun
        on both 'spear' (yari) and 'do' (yaru)?

        -Ii, who is up too late and should get to bed before he says something that
        gets him into too much trouble*

        *E-mail for more info.

      • James Eckman
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2002
          > From: "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>

          > Well, you're going to hate this.
          > "Core sampler" is either "koaa sanpuraa" or "chûjô saideiki"

          It saved my butt in Japan when training people in the use of laser
          machining equipment. Almost all the terms were English and of course
          written in katakana!

          Just like America used to be with French...

          Jim Eckman
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5, 2002
            "Tatsushu ." wrote:

            > Hmmm... I'm too tired to think properly, but would 'Yarigoto' work as a pun
            > on both 'spear' (yari) and 'do' (yaru)?

            Somehow I like "Yarisugoshi"* better. <G>

            Effingham

            Technically, "yarikonashi" means "overdoing" or "overkill" -- but using
            yari=lance instead of yari=doing, it would mean "spending/managing the lance."