Re: Buying second hand Kimonos

  • shirokitatate
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002
      Here in MN (and in the upper midwest) we have a vintage clothing
      store Ragstock that sells new and used kimono. They are on the web
      for locations only www.ragstock.com I think they are going to do
      internet sales in a while. They have obi as well and I haven't seen
      anything wrong structurally with any of their kimono except for one
      hole one one that I bought. BTW the average kimono they sell is $12
      and the obi are $6-12.

      Kitatate no Minamoto Kanemitsu
      aka Joshua Berg
      kitatate Genji
      http://www.geocities.com/shirokitatate

      --- In sca-jml@y..., Rosemary Norwood <liane@m...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > The recent discussion on garb makes me think of something I've been
      > wanting to do for a while.
      >
      > When I was still in highschool and still in Australia my parents
      and I
      > found a shop where you could buy second-hand/antique Kimono. There
      were
      > also other things made out of recycyled Kimono silk. We were
      fortunate
      > enough to buy one at the time but the store is long gone.
      >
      > Anyone know of a store in the US doing the same thing? I would love
      > add to our collection.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Rosemary, Wife of Yomada no Mitsuyoshi
    • lord_aharon_of_talkon
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002
        --- In sca-jml@y..., "shirokitatate" <shirokitatate@y...> wrote:
        > Here in MN (and in the upper midwest) we have a vintage clothing
        > store Ragstock that sells new and used kimono. They are on the web
        > for locations only www.ragstock.com I think they are going to do
        > internet sales in a while. They have obi as well and I haven't
        seen
        > anything wrong structurally with any of their kimono except for one
        > hole one one that I bought. BTW the average kimono they sell is
        $12
        > and the obi are $6-12.

        Here in Caid, we have a number of used clothing stores that sell used
        kimono, but they aren't cheap. I know if you type in google used
        kimono, you get a ton of hits.

        I'm trying to hunt down the buy by the bale...I do quilting and would
        LOVE to get inexpensive japanese fabrics. I go to Little Toyko and
        pay $12-$25 a yard for the imported fabrics (as you can tell, I don't
        do this often at all) and would MUCH rather recycle fabric. Anyone
        that could give me contact names for these resellers, I would be SO
        grateful (ever Threads I buy I can never find them)!

        --Artemesia