Re: Azuchi-Momoyama Period Architecture

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2 6:43 AM
      > From: elsyr@...
      >
      > As with the other materials, of course, once sealed it will not
      > breathe as well as paper.

      None of these materials breathe well, that's why builder used to use
      building paper and its replacements, if your worried about ventilation,
      you will have to open a door. This means you will need insect repellent
      or screening material. I wouldn't light a fire inside! Probably not a
      good idea anyway ;) You will also find that shoji paper is much tougher
      than you expect when compared to cheap western pulpwood paper. It's
      replaced yearly in Japan, so for intermittent use, it might last longer
      than you think.

      Also the paper can have beautiful watermarks and/or lovely objects
      imbedded in it.

      A very good book on the subject is Toshio Odate's 'Making Shoji', he
      went through a formal apprenticeship for this, its safe to say he's
      expert. He also writes for Fine Woodworking and others, so his writing
      is easy to read.

      There are some paper importers of art paper on my sumi-e page, but you
      could also try Soko Hardware in San Francisco, they might do mail order
      and I suspect New York may have something similar along with LA. If you
      check out the art paper places, ask for mulberry paper for a starting
      point.

      http://pages.prodigy.net/fugu/sumi.html

      Sounds like a fun project, enjoy!

      Jim Eckman