RE: [SCA-JML] Translation?

  • Mokurai
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Park McKellop [mailto:squire009@...]
      Alcyoneus/Kondei Ichimusai Niten (the name of a Korean trying to pass
      himself off as Japanese? ;-) )

      -Do you actually do a Korean persona?

      - mokurai
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002
        Park McKellop wrote:

        > I've got a question about senmonyugo (field specific vocabulary). I'd like a translation for "core sampler" or something similar to name my 9' spear. Perhaps "destiny" since some men are born to it, and others have it thrust upon them. :-)

        Well, you're going to hate this.

        "Core sampler" is either "koaa sanpuraa" or "chûjô saideiki"

        Effingham
      • Tatsushu .
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 2, 2002

          > > I've got a question about senmonyugo (field specific vocabulary). I'd
          >like a translation for "core sampler" or something similar to name my 9'
          >spear. Perhaps "destiny" since some men are born to it, and others have it
          >thrust upon them. :-)
          >
          >Well, you're going to hate this.
          >
          >"Core sampler" is either "koaa sanpuraa" or "ch�j� saideiki"

          Now THAT sounds like a proper Japanese rubber hero kiai--'GO KOAA
          SANPURAA!!!!'

          Hmmm... I'm too tired to think properly, but would 'Yarigoto' work as a pun
          on both 'spear' (yari) and 'do' (yaru)?

          -Ii, who is up too late and should get to bed before he says something that
          gets him into too much trouble*

          *E-mail for more info.

        • James Eckman
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2002
            > From: "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>

            > Well, you're going to hate this.
            > "Core sampler" is either "koaa sanpuraa" or "chûjô saideiki"

            It saved my butt in Japan when training people in the use of laser
            machining equipment. Almost all the terms were English and of course
            written in katakana!

            Just like America used to be with French...

            Jim Eckman
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 5, 2002
              "Tatsushu ." wrote:

              > Hmmm... I'm too tired to think properly, but would 'Yarigoto' work as a pun
              > on both 'spear' (yari) and 'do' (yaru)?

              Somehow I like "Yarisugoshi"* better. <G>

              Effingham

              Technically, "yarikonashi" means "overdoing" or "overkill" -- but using
              yari=lance instead of yari=doing, it would mean "spending/managing the lance."