RE: [SCA-JML] Azuchi-Momoyama Period Architecture

  • elsyr@attbi.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2002
      Another alternative to paper for shoji, although perhaps
      not as durable as Tyvek, would be the heavier weights of
      silkspan sold for covering large stick built model
      airplanes. From mail order outlets, it's not terribly
      expensive and there are a number of brand names
      available. When treated with a sealant such as butyrate
      or nitrate dope, it shrinks to provide tension, and
      becomes quite waterproof. As with the other materials,
      of course, once sealed it will not breathe as well as
      paper.

      Sakurakawa

    • James Eckman
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2002
        > From: elsyr@...
        >
        > As with the other materials, of course, once sealed it will not
        > breathe as well as paper.

        None of these materials breathe well, that's why builder used to use
        building paper and its replacements, if your worried about ventilation,
        you will have to open a door. This means you will need insect repellent
        or screening material. I wouldn't light a fire inside! Probably not a
        good idea anyway ;) You will also find that shoji paper is much tougher
        than you expect when compared to cheap western pulpwood paper. It's
        replaced yearly in Japan, so for intermittent use, it might last longer
        than you think.

        Also the paper can have beautiful watermarks and/or lovely objects
        imbedded in it.

        A very good book on the subject is Toshio Odate's 'Making Shoji', he
        went through a formal apprenticeship for this, its safe to say he's
        expert. He also writes for Fine Woodworking and others, so his writing
        is easy to read.

        There are some paper importers of art paper on my sumi-e page, but you
        could also try Soko Hardware in San Francisco, they might do mail order
        and I suspect New York may have something similar along with LA. If you
        check out the art paper places, ask for mulberry paper for a starting
        point.

        http://pages.prodigy.net/fugu/sumi.html

        Sounds like a fun project, enjoy!

        Jim Eckman