Buying second hand Kimonos

  • Rosemary Norwood
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 27, 2002
      Hi all,

      The recent discussion on garb makes me think of something I've been
      wanting to do for a while.

      When I was still in highschool and still in Australia my parents and I
      found a shop where you could buy second-hand/antique Kimono. There were
      also other things made out of recycyled Kimono silk. We were fortunate
      enough to buy one at the time but the store is long gone.

      Anyone know of a store in the US doing the same thing? I would love to
      add to our collection.

      Thanks!

      Rosemary, Wife of Yomada no Mitsuyoshi
    • Peter Werth
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 27, 2002
        Try ebay, I have got many used awesome kimonos there

        Krystyan
        > The recent discussion on garb makes me think of something I've been
        > wanting to do for a while.
        >
        > When I was still in highschool and still in Australia my parents and I
        > found a shop where you could buy second-hand/antique Kimono. There were
        > also other things made out of recycyled Kimono silk. We were fortunate
        > enough to buy one at the time but the store is long gone.
        >
        > Anyone know of a store in the US doing the same thing? I would love to
        > add to our collection.
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Rosemary, Wife of Yomada no Mitsuyoshi

      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 28, 2002
          If you check "Threads" magazine, there are several places that advertise second hand kimono...and sometimes you can actually buy them by the bale. I did that with three other friends one time...we opened the bale in the middle of the floor and we went around the circle each selecting a garment from the pile...loads of fun!

          Also, there is a place in the DC metro area, Arise Gallery, that sells kimono, often second-hand. They also have lots of other "goodies"...I got a wonderful Boy's Day banner there a number of years ago. Last time I heard, they were still in business, but you might want to check. The last phone number I have for them is (202)291-0770.

          Kiri
          The recent discussion on garb makes me think of something I've been
          wanting to do for a while.

          When I was still in highschool and still in Australia my parents and I
          found a shop where you could buy second-hand/antique Kimono. There were
          also other things made out of recycyled Kimono silk. We were fortunate
          enough to buy one at the time but the store is long gone.

          Anyone know of a store in the US doing the same thing? I would love to
          add to our collection.

          Thanks!

          Rosemary, Wife of Yomada no Mitsuyoshi

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • elsyr@attbi.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 28, 2002
            Konichiwa!

            I'm glad you had a good experience with buying kimono by
            the bale, Kiri-dono, but I thought I should warn folks
            that this can be a risky proposition (depending, I
            suppose, on the particular dealer). Some friends of
            mine here in Florida have ordered "kimonos by the pound"
            several times and had extremely mixed results. Some
            shipments were excellent, some contained mostly kimono
            _pieces_. They made a lot of really nice pillow covers
            and quilts, but didn't get the garb they were hoping
            for.

            Personally, I have had very good luck with Ebay -
            particularly with a vendor now known as Pacific-Trades
            (used to be J-Vintage). This gentleman apparently hits
            the kimono flea markets in Tokyo and resells his finds.
            Unfortunately, he doesn't do many auctions these days -
            all of his stuff seems to be "Buy It Now" with a fixed
            price. No more picking up a nice kimono for $5.99 when
            nobody else noticed it. :-(

            Most of this stuff, and I imagine that offered by other
            sellers, is going to be more appropriate for late period
            personas. A lot is also going to be synthetic materials
            instead of silk. And, of course, everything positively
            REEKS of mothballs when it arrives, but a dry cleaning
            or two takes care of that. :-)

            In service,
            Sakurakawa no Katsushiro Sumiyori
            > If you check "Threads" magazine, there are several places that advertise second
            > hand kimono...and sometimes you can actually buy them by the bale. I did that
            > with three other friends one time...we opened the bale in the middle of the
            > floor and we went around the circle each selecting a garment from the
            > pile...loads of fun!
            >
            > Also, there is a place in the DC metro area, Arise Gallery, that sells kimono,
            > often second-hand. They also have lots of other "goodies"...I got a wonderful
            > Boy's Day banner there a number of years ago. Last time I heard, they were
            > still in business, but you might want to check. The last phone number I have
            > for them is (202)291-0770.
            >
            > Kiri

          • Elaine Koogler
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 29, 2002
              Another problem with purchasing used kimono is that the Japanese are small people...which means that the kimono are quite tiny...which means that a person like me usually can't wear most of what can be acquired. And I agree that almost all that I've seen were later period. I did get a lovely one from Arise that is brown relatively sheer silk with silver cicadas embroideredon it that could potentially be used as a period piece, but that wasn't purchased from the less expensive sites.

              And yes, many of the kimono that came in the bale were in pretty bad condition...but I also got a number of very nice ones, particularly the shorter jacket-type meant for men. One thing that could be done is to use some of the pieces as parts of a new kimono...that was done in period, so would definitely be in keeping with the Japanese way of doing things!

              Kiri
              I'm glad you had a good experience with buying kimono by
              the bale, Kiri-dono, but I thought I should warn folks
              that this can be a risky proposition (depending, I
              suppose, on the particular dealer). Some friends of
              mine here in Florida have ordered "kimonos by the pound"
              several times and had extremely mixed results. Some
              shipments were excellent, some contained mostly kimono
              _pieces_. They made a lot of really nice pillow covers
              and quilts, but didn't get the garb they were hoping
              for.

              <snip>

              Most of this stuff, and I imagine that offered by other
              sellers, is going to be more appropriate for late period
              personas. A lot is also going to be synthetic materials
              instead of silk. And, of course, everything positively
              REEKS of mothballs when it arrives, but a dry cleaning
              or two takes care of that. :-)

            • shirokitatate
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002
                Here in MN (and in the upper midwest) we have a vintage clothing
                store Ragstock that sells new and used kimono. They are on the web
                for locations only www.ragstock.com I think they are going to do
                internet sales in a while. They have obi as well and I haven't seen
                anything wrong structurally with any of their kimono except for one
                hole one one that I bought. BTW the average kimono they sell is $12
                and the obi are $6-12.

                Kitatate no Minamoto Kanemitsu
                aka Joshua Berg
                kitatate Genji
                http://www.geocities.com/shirokitatate

                --- In sca-jml@y..., Rosemary Norwood <liane@m...> wrote:
                > Hi all,
                >
                > The recent discussion on garb makes me think of something I've been
                > wanting to do for a while.
                >
                > When I was still in highschool and still in Australia my parents
                and I
                > found a shop where you could buy second-hand/antique Kimono. There
                were
                > also other things made out of recycyled Kimono silk. We were
                fortunate
                > enough to buy one at the time but the store is long gone.
                >
                > Anyone know of a store in the US doing the same thing? I would love
                > add to our collection.
                >
                > Thanks!
                >
                > Rosemary, Wife of Yomada no Mitsuyoshi
              • lord_aharon_of_talkon
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 2, 2002
                  --- In sca-jml@y..., "shirokitatate" <shirokitatate@y...> wrote:
                  > Here in MN (and in the upper midwest) we have a vintage clothing
                  > store Ragstock that sells new and used kimono. They are on the web
                  > for locations only www.ragstock.com I think they are going to do
                  > internet sales in a while. They have obi as well and I haven't
                  seen
                  > anything wrong structurally with any of their kimono except for one
                  > hole one one that I bought. BTW the average kimono they sell is
                  $12
                  > and the obi are $6-12.

                  Here in Caid, we have a number of used clothing stores that sell used
                  kimono, but they aren't cheap. I know if you type in google used
                  kimono, you get a ton of hits.

                  I'm trying to hunt down the buy by the bale...I do quilting and would
                  LOVE to get inexpensive japanese fabrics. I go to Little Toyko and
                  pay $12-$25 a yard for the imported fabrics (as you can tell, I don't
                  do this often at all) and would MUCH rather recycle fabric. Anyone
                  that could give me contact names for these resellers, I would be SO
                  grateful (ever Threads I buy I can never find them)!

                  --Artemesia