[SCA-JML] wake up and post already Torashi!

  • Ogami Itto
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 25, 2000
      I would officially like to welcome a friend of mine, Torashi-dono.
      I was finally able to send the link to him shortly after ValDay Y2K,
      and he has apparently consented to join. I say apparently, because he
      shows up on the rolls, but never asks questions or has any input.
      Hey, Torashi-dono, what's up wit dat?
      I would also like to suggest that we, as a group, make an effort
      to invite more people to join. Right now we have only 20-odd members,
      with roughly three or four people doing most of the answering of
      question (specifically, Hiraizumi-dono, Solveig-hime, Fujiwara-hime,
      and Yumitori-dono). I would like to see more people offering input.
      (I'm not unappreciative of the efforts of the aforementioned gracious
      gentles; indeed, I am most grateful.)
      I do, however, know that there are more than twenty people in the
      SCA that do Japanese, and I would guess that most anyone can find
      internet time somewhere if they look for it. So if I could convince
      everyone here to invite everyone that they know who has a japanese
      persona, or is creating one, to log on to this group, I tbelieve that
      an enriching experience can be had by all.
      Thank you for your time. I turn the soapbox over to the next
      speaker.
      -Takewara no Ken'ichiro Yoshinobu
    • torashi@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 26, 2000
        > I would officially like to welcome a friend of mine, Torashi-dono.
        > I was finally able to send the link to him shortly after ValDay Y2K,
        >and he has apparently consented to join. I say apparently, because he
        >shows up on the rolls, but never asks questions or has any input.
        > Hey, Torashi-dono, what's up wit dat?
        Thank you for your time. I turn the soapbox over to the next
        >speaker.
        > -Takewara no Ken'ichiro Yoshinobu

        Greeting to all. Yoshinnobu, the reason I've not posted anything
        is because there is nothing for me to post. The only thing I could hope to
        comment or answer on is the armour questions and I think that we all know
        that Baron Eduard-sama has that under more control than I could ever hope
        to.(besides I'd just be coyping the comments out of oneof his books
        anyway...)

        OTOH, I do have some questions.........

        I hope you rember me Baron Eduard-sama I was with Yoshinobu-dono at War and
        along with a friend we took you prisoner and to dinner....I was the one with
        long hair and the bad kawatsuzumi do-maru/okegawa-do. I wish to make a new
        suit of kawatsuzumi armour and my persona is very late period but the only
        examples I've found are early styles. In The SAMURAI you wrote that the were
        not ever common or popular but were made into the Edo period. Did they
        change styles like the rest of the armour and start useing solid lames or
        did they remain done in the older styles of hon-kozane and iyo-zane?

        Torashi
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 26, 2000
          torashi@... wrote:

          > I hope you rember me Baron Eduard-sama I was with Yoshinobu-dono at War and
          > along with a friend we took you prisoner and to dinner....I was the one with
          > long hair and the bad kawatsuzumi do-maru/okegawa-do.

          LOL!

          O! Torashi-dono! Mochiron! (Of course!) Ikaga tareru ka? (lit: "How [are they]
          hanging?"... do *not* use this on J. friends...)

          > I wish to make a new
          > suit of kawatsuzumi armour and my persona is very late period but the only
          > examples I've found are early styles. In The SAMURAI you wrote that the were
          > not ever common or popular but were made into the Edo period. Did they
          > change styles like the rest of the armour and start useing solid lames or
          > did they remain done in the older styles of hon-kozane and iyo-zane?

          Good question. Not having seen the *inside* of any of the latter- and
          post-period variations, all I can do is speculate. OTOH, they didn't seem to
          exhibit any "texturing" at the tops of the panels typical with a kawatsuzumi do
          of scale construction. My best guess is that they were made of solid lames and
          leather was applied to them. Basically, if you've ever seen a hishinui do,
          that's the model, only it's got a layer of leather over it.

          Effingham
        • torashi@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1 8:44 PM
            >From: "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>

            >Good question. Not having seen the *inside* of any of the latter- and
            >post-period variations, all I can do is speculate. OTOH, they didn't seem
            >exhibit any "texturing" at the tops of the panels typical with a
            >kawatsuzumi do
            >of scale construction. My best guess is that they were made of solid lames
            >and
            >leather was applied to them. Basically, if you've ever seen a hishinui do,
            >that's the model, only it's got a layer of leather over it.
            >

            >Effingham

            Great! a comb of my favorit styles( my first two were hishinui do). Also
            were the kusazuri covered as well or laced and would sugate or kebiki holes
            be used. And you told me at war that you had never seen a kawatsuzumi
            shikoro, but you also said all the "dangly bits match" is this an excption
            or just one of the mysterys we love about the past.....

            Torashi
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1 9:01 PM
              torashi@... wrote:

              > Great! a comb of my favorit styles( my first two were hishinui do). Also
              > were the kusazuri covered as well or laced and would sugate or kebiki holes
              > be used. And you told me at war that you had never seen a kawatsuzumi
              > shikoro, but you also said all the "dangly bits match" is this an excption
              > or just one of the mysterys we love about the past.....

              The dangly bits *usually* match. I usually recommend that people don't get
              funky with them until they have a good grasp on the aesthetics. This is one of
              those cases where they don't.

              I've only seen a few kawatsuzumi do live and in person, and only one had a
              helmet with it. I doubt that it was the original helmet (different color
              lacing, for one thing), but I imagine it was typical, in that the
              leatherwrapping is a treatment of the do, and the helmet is allowed to be an
              exception. That's what most of the graphical representations indicate, at
              least.

              Could there *be* a kawatsuzumi shikoro?

              I don't know. It sounds weird, but I can't say with 100% certainty that it's
              impossible. I'd just say unlikely. (Now, since I'm planning on making a
              kawatsuzumi do, watch me turn around and make a helmet with a a kawatsuzumi
              shikoro... <g>.)

              Effingham
            • Joshua Badgley
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2 5:18 AM
                On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

                > Could there *be* a kawatsuzumi shikoro?
                >
                > I don't know. It sounds weird, but I can't say with 100% certainty that it's
                > impossible. I'd just say unlikely. (Now, since I'm planning on making a
                > kawatsuzumi do, watch me turn around and make a helmet with a a kawatsuzumi
                > shikoro... <g>.)

                Okay, I am realizing once again how little I know here. Can you give me
                some good references for names of armour and armour types? Or at least
                places to look? I went through the stuff in the clothing books, and am
                going back through my notes on Bottomely and Turnbull's book on "Arms and
                Armour of the Samurai", or something like that. Japanese is okke!

                And if you say "It's in the CA" one more time... ;)

                -Godric Logan
              • Grim Shieldsson
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2 10:06 AM
                  -- Joshua Badgley <fsjlb4@...> wrote:

                  >>And if you say "It's in the CA" one more time... ;)

                  I think we're all getting tired of this one :) I have a suggestion of
                  putting what you have so far on the web somewehere so that we can all
                  help you edit it. That way you can get done even faster, and we can
                  have the CA quicker :)

                  =====
                  Jim Barrows Grim Shieldsson
                  Software Barbarian Acting Chieftain of Clan StormWolf
                  Webcasts.com Barbarian Freehold Alliance
                  http://www.geocities.com/grimshieldsson
                  It is far better to ask forgiveness then permission.
                  I know not the way to defeat others, but rather the way to defeat myself -- Yagyu
                  http://im.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 2 12:04 PM
                    Joshua Badgley wrote:

                    > Okay, I am realizing once again how little I know here. Can you give me
                    > some good references for names of armour and armour types? Or at least
                    > places to look? I went through the stuff in the clothing books, and am
                    > going back through my notes on Bottomely and Turnbull's book on "Arms and
                    > Armour of the Samurai", or something like that. Japanese is okke!

                    Well, since you're in Japan:

                    Go to the bookstore and get a copy of "Zukan Nihon Katchuu Jiten" by Sasama
                    Yoshihiko. It should be available, having been reprinted only a few years ago,
                    published by Yuuzankaku Eigyobu. It's a pretty nice dictionary of japanese
                    armour.

                    It costs 5,800 yen.

                    > And if you say "It's in the CA" one more time... ;)

                    Mmmfts mmfffn mmmC mmmmA...

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 2 12:31 PM
                      Grim Shieldsson wrote:

                      > -- Joshua Badgley <fsjlb4@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > >>And if you say "It's in the CA" one more time... ;)
                      >
                      > I think we're all getting tired of this one :) I have a suggestion of
                      > putting what you have so far on the web somewehere so that we can all
                      > help you edit it. That way you can get done even faster, and we can
                      > have the CA quicker :)

                      Kangaete oku. (= "I'll think about it" [= "not in this lifetime"])...

                      It wouldn't be right...