Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Japanese Event in Atlantia

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 9, 2002
      On Sat, 9 Mar 2002 rujoking99@... wrote:

      > Let's say the event is taking place in Nagasaki near the 1600 mark.
      > That would allow the Portuguese and Dutch in, and the Nihonjin would be
      > fascinated by the Namban show of fighting. Heavy vs. Light wouldn't
      > work too well.

      I would recommend a light rapier tourney, and maybe a very specified heavy
      tourney--like the one down in SC; no shields, all weapons are
      single-edged, etc.

      > work too well. But you could have archery as well as rapier and heavy.
      > And ask around about use of Shinai (if you find anything useful out,
      > tell the rest of us; I would love to fight with a shinai against some
      > epee folks to demonstrate the clear superiority of Kenjutsu against
      > rapier techniques. Heh...)

      Well, I have to admit that this is a big debate--about as large as the
      'broadsword vs. rapier' one. Of course, I would love to try.

      Hey, if anyone wants to start up shinai in Atlantia I'd love to go for it.
      Actually, I know a few other kendoka in the area who would like to do it
      as well.