Japanese Event in Atlantia

  • Takedasama@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 6, 2002
      FLYER:
      April 19-21 - Feast of the Dragon IV: The Dragon Goes East
      St. Georges Canton, Sunset SC

      Site :
      This year's site is the beautiful Camp Thornwell, 435 Sugar Likker Rd.,
      Sunset, SC, 29685, with both cabin and tent camping available. The theme
      for this year's events will be the dragons of Japan.

      A&S Activities:
      There will be competitions in the following categories:
      Japanese Paper Arts - Fans, Kites, Japanese Calligraphy etc.
      Japanese Fiber Arts- weaving, garments, braiding etc.
      Other Japanese - woodworking, metal working, live performance etc.
      Additionally there will be time set aside for a kite flying competiton.

      Martial Activities:
      The martial activities will follow the theme, there will be a KyuDo (archery)
      competition and a heavy Tournament to be fought with no Shields, ALL Weapons
      Will Be treated as single edged! Only the following weapons/form will be
      allowed. Katana, Tachi, No-Dachi (two-handed sword) Niten, (twosword)
      Naginata or Ono (Polearm / Poleaxe), Masakari (Axe-single handed)

      Merchanting:
      Space will be available on a first-come first-served basis, but there should
      be plenty of outside space.

      Children:
      We are planning a schedule of children's activities for at least part of the
      day.

      Feast:
      A delightful Japanese style feast will be prepared by Lady Jacquetta Edington
      of Yorkshire. You may Contact Lady Jacquetta with dietary concerns at:
      Djacquetta1@....

      Cost:
      Onsite In Cabin $15 (there are 48 beds available, first come, first serve),
      Onsite Tenting $10, Daytrip $3, Feast $5, Onsite reservations discounted $2
      if received by April 11, 2002

      Reservations:
      Reservations and questions should be directed to Lord Takeda Yoshinaka,
      (Andrew M. Dutschke) 308 Earle Road, Central, SC 29630 (864) 639 - 0825 (NLT
      10pm)
      takedasama@...

      Autocrat: Lord Johann von Rothenburg (John Gahrmann), twosword@...

      Directions:
      From the North: Take your best route to Hwy 11 South. You will travel for a
      long way. Turn Right onto Hwy 178. Go 4.7 miles and turn Right onto Sugar
      Likker Road. (There is a sign for Camp Thornwell) Site is 1 mile at the end
      of that road. Follow the signs for Parking and Troll.

      From the South: Take your best route to Hwy 11 South. You will travel for a
      long way. Turn Left onto Hwy 178. Go 4.7 miles and turn Right onto Sugar
      Likker Road. (There is a sign for Camp Thornwell) Site is 1 mile at the end
      of that road. Follow the signs for Parking and Troll.

      From Pickens, SC: Take Hwy 178 North. Go 8.6 miles to the stop sign at Hwy
      11. Go straight across and go another 4.7 miles. Turn Right onto Sugar Likker
      Road. (There is a sign for Camp Thornwell) Site is 1 mile at the end of that
      road. Follow the signs for Parking and Troll.

    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 6, 2002
        No! If I didn't have a naginata committment I would be there. Grrrr....

        If the dates of the Naginata seminar get changed I'll make it down.
        <hmmm... must finish helmet...>

        -Ii

        On Wed, 6 Mar 2002 Takedasama@... wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Directions:
        > >From the North: Take your best route to Hwy 11 South. You will travel for a
        > long way. Turn Right onto Hwy 178. Go 4.7 miles and turn Right onto Sugar
        > Likker Road. (There is a sign for Camp Thornwell) Site is 1 mile at the end
        > of that road. Follow the signs for Parking and Troll.
        >
        > >From the South: Take your best route to Hwy 11 South. You will travel for a
        > long way. Turn Left onto Hwy 178. Go 4.7 miles and turn Right onto Sugar
        > Likker Road. (There is a sign for Camp Thornwell) Site is 1 mile at the end
        > of that road. Follow the signs for Parking and Troll.
        >
        > >From Pickens, SC: Take Hwy 178 North. Go 8.6 miles to the stop sign at Hwy
        > 11. Go straight across and go another 4.7 miles. Turn Right onto Sugar Likker
        > Road. (There is a sign for Camp Thornwell) Site is 1 mile at the end of that
        > road. Follow the signs for Parking and Troll.

      • andreahg2000
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 6, 2002
          > No! If I didn't have a naginata committment I would be there.
          Grrrr....

          > If the dates of the Naginata seminar get changed I'll make it down.
          > <hmmm... must finish helmet...>
          >
          > -Ii
          Don't worry, there will be more oppurtunities in Atlantia. At
          tonight's shire meeting, my group(Roxbury Mill) has discussed and
          approved the idea of a Japanese themed event for our summer event of
          June 2003. It looks like I will be co-autocrating it and will be in
          charge of atmosphere and most of the theme stuff.

          Nadeshiko
        • Ii Saburou
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 6, 2002
            On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, andreahg2000 wrote:

            > Don't worry, there will be more oppurtunities in Atlantia. At
            > tonight's shire meeting, my group(Roxbury Mill) has discussed and
            > approved the idea of a Japanese themed event for our summer event of
            > June 2003. It looks like I will be co-autocrating it and will be in
            > charge of atmosphere and most of the theme stuff.

            YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOI!

            -Ii, da ne!
          • Elaine Koogler
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 7, 2002
              Oh how I wish I could come, but between the great distance from Maryland and the fact that I've already committed to teach a class at Marinus' Pen or the Sword event, I won't be able to be there. But I'll be thinking of you and wishing you luck!

              Kiri
[...]

              From the North: Take your best route to Hwy 11 South. You will travel for a
              long way. Turn Right onto Hwy 178. Go 4.7 miles and turn Right onto Sugar
              Likker Road. (There is a sign for Camp Thornwell) Site is 1 mile at the end
              of that road. Follow the signs for Parking and Troll.

              From the South: Take your best route to Hwy 11 South. You will travel for a
              long way. Turn Left onto Hwy 178. Go 4.7 miles and turn Right onto Sugar
              Likker Road. (There is a sign for Camp Thornwell) Site is 1 mile at the end
              of that road. Follow the signs for Parking and Troll.

              From Pickens, SC: Take Hwy 178 North. Go 8.6 miles to the stop sign at Hwy
              11. Go straight across and go another 4.7 miles. Turn Right onto Sugar Likker
              Road. (There is a sign for Camp Thornwell) Site is 1 mile at the end of that
              road. Follow the signs for Parking and Troll.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Elaine Koogler
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 7, 2002
                Now that one is close enough for me to attend. When is it to be? And, if there's anything I can do to help, let me know. I'll also pass the word on to my protege and her spouse, who have Japanese personnas.

                Kiri

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 7, 2002
                  --- In sca-jml@y..., Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1@c...> wrote:
                  > Now that one is close enough for me to attend. When is it to be?
                  And, if there's anything I can do to help, let me know. I'll also
                  pass the word on to my protege and her spouse, who have Japanese
                  personnas.

                  > Kiri
                  It will be next June and I'll will probably need help with ideas for
                  the feast. Our shire cook is great, but so far has only done Spanish
                  and Middle Eastern feasts. FYI, she was the cook for the past two
                  Haflas held in Pennsylvania somewhere. Right now, the event is still
                  in the brainstorming stage. We just found a great camping site, which
                  if it works out, will be our only camping site in the county. If we
                  use that, all cooking will have to be off site or over a fire. Our
                  marshal has some good ideas for the heavies, but the group really
                  wants to figure out a way to include rapier. The idea being "late
                  period with a touch of Portugese thrown in". I'm not sure how that
                  will work, but our last two events were very theme heavy and excluded
                  the rapier community. This area has a strong rapier community and
                  we'd like to include them. Any ideas on that one? Our children's
                  minister is also looking for ideas for kids' activites. I know it's
                  far into the future, but we generally have to reserve our sites at
                  least a year in advance. That's why we only do one a year and they
                  usually really good.
                  Nadeshiko
                • Elaine Koogler
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 7, 2002
                    It will be next June and I'll will probably need help with ideas for
                    the feast. Our shire cook is great, but so far has only done Spanish
                    and Middle Eastern feasts. FYI, she was the cook for the past two
                    Haflas held in Pennsylvania somewhere. Right now, the event is still
                    in the brainstorming stage. We just found a great camping site, which
                    if it works out, will be our only camping site in the county. If we
                    use that, all cooking will have to be off site or over a fire.

                    That could present some problems. Most of the Japanese dishes, and especially the ones with a Portuguese influence are cooked fresh just before serving. There are some pickles that can be done ahead of time, but most other stuff can't. I'll go through my cookbooks and see what I can come up with. How about using camp stoves and/or those turkey cookers?

                    Our
                    marshal has some good ideas for the heavies, but the group really
                    wants to figure out a way to include rapier. The idea being "late
                    period with a touch of Portugese thrown in". I'm not sure how that
                    will work, but our last two events were very theme heavy and excluded
                    the rapier community. This area has a strong rapier community and
                    we'd like to include them. Any ideas on that one?

                    Well, you could include something having to do with the Portuguese...maybe a melee with the rapier fighters against the heavy? Or perhaps a Portuguese tournament to amuse the Japanese guests? I'll have to think about this one.

                    Our children's
                    minister is also looking for ideas for kids' activites.

                    There are several possibilities here. Kite making, origami, and silk dyeing (can be done using small squares of an inexpensive white silk and dipping the fabric into Kool-Aid...works like a champ!! If interested, I can forward more complete details). This last one was so much fun that we had a hard time keeping adults away! Older kids could be taught to play Chinese Chess and/or Go.

                  • rujoking99@mac.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 8, 2002
                      Let's say the event is taking place in Nagasaki near the 1600 mark.
                      That would allow the Portuguese and Dutch in, and the Nihonjin would be
                      fascinated by the Namban show of fighting. Heavy vs. Light wouldn't
                      work too well. But you could have archery as well as rapier and heavy.
                      And ask around about use of Shinai (if you find anything useful out,
                      tell the rest of us; I would love to fight with a shinai against some
                      epee folks to demonstrate the clear superiority of Kenjutsu against
                      rapier techniques. Heh...)

                      But that's just me, don't take my word for it. (My universal
                      disclaimer.)
                      Kinoshita Yoshimori
                    • Ii Saburou
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 9, 2002
                        On Sat, 9 Mar 2002 rujoking99@... wrote:

                        > Let's say the event is taking place in Nagasaki near the 1600 mark.
                        > That would allow the Portuguese and Dutch in, and the Nihonjin would be
                        > fascinated by the Namban show of fighting. Heavy vs. Light wouldn't
                        > work too well.

                        I would recommend a light rapier tourney, and maybe a very specified heavy
                        tourney--like the one down in SC; no shields, all weapons are
                        single-edged, etc.

                        > work too well. But you could have archery as well as rapier and heavy.
                        > And ask around about use of Shinai (if you find anything useful out,
                        > tell the rest of us; I would love to fight with a shinai against some
                        > epee folks to demonstrate the clear superiority of Kenjutsu against
                        > rapier techniques. Heh...)

                        Well, I have to admit that this is a big debate--about as large as the
                        'broadsword vs. rapier' one. Of course, I would love to try.

                        Hey, if anyone wants to start up shinai in Atlantia I'd love to go for it.
                        Actually, I know a few other kendoka in the area who would like to do it
                        as well.