Re: [SCA-JML] Undergarments

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2002
      Markejag@... wrote:

      > In the pictures I have seen of Men's garb. The undergarment is fit very
      > snuggly to the neck. I don't think they were called yukata nor under kosode.
      > Does anyone know what they were called?

      It would be the juban, or hada-juban, which was the descendent of the kosode
      when the latter became outer wear.

      > I would also like clarification on the neck line. In peroid, was the cutout
      > for the neck a square cut (6" x 2" or 8" x 4") or was it a rounded at the
      > corners?

      Depends on the period. Some were actually straight triangular cuts, but kosode
      usually had a straight drop from the cut along the opening (making the actual
      neck opening like a short, wide, point-down pentagon).