Re: [SCA-JML] Pennsic Classes

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 6, 2002
      Markejag@... wrote:

      > Greetings Everyone,
      >
      > Once again the Pennsic War is fast approaching and Clan Yama Kaminari will be
      > hosting a Japanese A&S Tent. We plan on running classes from 9 am to 1 pm
      > (the rest of the time will be used by the Clan, but special night classes can
      > be arranged).
      > Anyone interested in participalting and teaching in the Daigakuryo, please
      > contact me at Markejag@....
      >
      > Hope to see you all at Pennsic,

      Greetings!

      So we'd send you the course stuff and you'd send them to Her Nibs for inclusion
      in the Program?

      Effingham
    • Markejag@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 6, 2002
        In a message dated 3/6/2002 8:07:15 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        ajbryant@... writes:

        > > Greetings Everyone,
        > >
        > > Once again the Pennsic War is fast approaching and Clan Yama Kaminari
        > will be
        > > hosting a Japanese A&S Tent. We plan on running classes from 9 am to 1 pm
        > > (the rest of the time will be used by the Clan, but special night classes
        > can
        > > be arranged).
        > > Anyone interested in participating and teaching in the Daigakuryo, please
        > > contact me at Markejag@....
        > >
        > > Hope to see you all at Pennsic,
        > >

        > Greetings!
        >
        > So we'd send you the course stuff and you'd send them to Her Nibs for
        > inclusion
        > in the Program?
        >
        > Effingham

        Yeah, that's the plan. We want to be able to schedule our own time and let
        those teachers who are "first come, first served" get the pick of what day
        and what time they would like to teach. This was something that Dame Alys
        found rather comforting to know that she had less to worry about, and I think
        Mistress Catriona wants to handle the situation the same way. I plan on
        submitting the teacher information, course information and schedule to Dame
        Catriona by the 15th of April, then let the A&S Coordinator fill in any empty
        time slots. Times will be the same as for the regular A&S schedule, Wed. 8/7
        to Fri. 8/16, from 9 am to 1 pm.

        The Clan has already chosen the daily slots of 1 pm to 3 pm for Taiko
        practice and 3 pm to 5 pm for the Noh drama practice. Also, Tues 8/13 to
        Fri. the 8/16 during the evening are set aside for performances and parties.
        The only other possibility is Lady Solveig, who we are trying to persuade to
        have Chanoyu (Tea ceremony) classes from 9 am to 10 am every day, but this
        has not yet been confirmed. (Class schedule would be something of this sort:
        day 1; a review of Chanoyu history, day 2; positions of host, guest, and
        utensils, day 3; fukusa folding, day 4; chakin (wiping/cleaning cloth)
        folding, etc., etc..)

        For those of you at Pennsic last year, we had ample room to accommodate all
        classes. We had a generator to supply electricity and a homemade screen for
        slide shows and an overhead. Plus there was that huge wooden floor (Noh
        stage), a table and some chairs. Plus some of Edward's "quick and dirty"
        tatami and some zabuton.

        Hope this answered some of your questions. I am open to suggestions,
        comments, and questions to those interested in teaching.

        Bun'ami

      • Markejag@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 7, 2002
          Dear members of the list.

          I just received an e-mail from Dame Catriona, A&S Coordinator for Pennsic.

          She requests that the deadline for submission of A&S Classes in private
          encampments be upgraded to the 15 of April. This is for inclusion in the
          Pennsic 31 A&S Class information section of the Pennsic handout.

          If for some reason you miss this deadline, you can still hold classes in the
          Japanese A&S tent, but your information will not be in the Pennsic Handout
          and it will not be advertised.

          Sorry for the inconvenience.

          Bun'ami

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 8, 2002
            Markejag@... wrote:

            > Yeah, that's the plan. We want to be able to schedule our own time and let
            > those teachers who are "first come, first served" get the pick of what day
            > and what time they would like to teach. This was something that Dame Alys
            > found rather comforting to know that she had less to worry about, and I think
            > Mistress Catriona wants to handle the situation the same way. I plan on
            > submitting the teacher information, course information and schedule to Dame
            > Catriona by the 15th of April, then let the A&S Coordinator fill in any empty
            > time slots. Times will be the same as for the regular A&S schedule, Wed. 8/7
            > to Fri. 8/16, from 9 am to 1 pm.

            Cool.

            Question: will they be supplying chairs this year? I know a few people were not
            that well prepared (or inclined) to sit on the floor, and that's possibly
            problematic. If all of us are Japanese, we can handle it, but Italian Ren or
            Elizabethan aren't the best thing for floor-seating. <G>

            > For those of you at Pennsic last year, we had ample room to accommodate all
            > classes. We had a generator to supply electricity and a homemade screen for
            > slide shows and an overhead. Plus there was that huge wooden floor (Noh
            > stage), a table and some chairs. Plus some of Edward's "quick and dirty"
            > tatami and some zabuton.

            Great, I'll bring the slides again! Cowabunga!

            EffingexcitedaboutPennsic
          • Elaine Koogler
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 10, 2002
              And it's not always just those of us who are not dressed in Japanese garb...there are a few of us old folks who just can't get down onto the floor with any hopes of easily being able to get back up again! I couldn't even kneel when they gave me my Laurel...my knees are in a very bad way.

              Kiri
              > Yeah, that's the plan. We want to be able to schedule our own time and let
              > those teachers who are "first come, first served" get the pick of what day
              > and what time they would like to teach. This was something that Dame Alys
              > found rather comforting to know that she had less to worry about, and I think
              > Mistress Catriona wants to handle the situation the same way. I plan on
              > submitting the teacher information, course information and schedule to Dame
              > Catriona by the 15th of April, then let the A&S Coordinator fill in any empty
              > time slots. Times will be the same as for the regular A&S schedule, Wed. 8/7
              > to Fri. 8/16, from 9 am to 1 pm.

              Cool.

              Question: will they be supplying chairs this year? I know a few people were not
              that well prepared (or inclined) to sit on the floor, and that's possibly
              problematic. If all of us are Japanese, we can handle it, but Italian Ren or
              Elizabethan aren't the best thing for floor-seating. <G>

              > For those of you at Pennsic last year, we had ample room to accommodate all
              > classes. We had a generator to supply electricity and a homemade screen for
              > slide shows and an overhead. Plus there was that huge wooden floor (Noh
              > stage), a table and some chairs. Plus some of Edward's "quick and dirty"
              > tatami and some zabuton.

              Great, I'll bring the slides again! Cowabunga!

              EffingexcitedaboutPennsic

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Markejag@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 10, 2002
                Kiri,

                Not to worry, we usually grab extra chairs from the Clans Pavilion (like
                Edward's camp recliner :-)
                We hope to have some more folding chairs this year.

                Bun'ami

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 11, 2002
                  OK. I am, as of this point, putting in an advance reservation for the camp recliner! I don't think Edward will mind...will you???? After all, I'm probably the group's resident Senior Citizen.

                  Kiri
                  Not to worry, we usually grab extra chairs from the Clans Pavilion (like
                  Edward's camp recliner :-)
                  We hope to have some more folding chairs this year.

                  Bun'ami

                  > And it's not always just those of us who are not dressed in Japanese
                  > garb...there are a few of us old folks who just can't get down onto the
                  > floor with any hopes of easily being able to get back up again! I couldn't
                  > even kneel when they gave me my Laurel...my knees are in a very bad way.
                  >
                  > Kiri

                • Colban Silver
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 21, 2002
                    Ii,

                    Please send me the information about the classes you taught at pennsic.
                    Domo arigatou.

                    Tomomitsu

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 21, 2002
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=900187853
                      Legit?
                      Alcyoneus/Kondei Ichimusai Niten

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 22, 2002
                        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=900187853
                        > Legit?
                        > Alcyoneus/Kondei Ichimusai Niten

                        Well, it is legitimately a piece of steel ^_^
                        However, there us no signature, no traditional wrappings, the "tang" looks
                        to be welded onto the blade, as does the tsuba (guard piece). The blade is
                        covered with blemishes, there are 3 mekugi-ana (post holes), etc, etc.
                        It's not worth much, however it is 5ft long, which means it is technically a
                        "nodachi". Which I've been trying to find a replica of, but this one looks
                        like one of the mass produced tourist trap swords from the late 40s and 50s.
                        I had found a website that sold replica nodachi... but the month later their
                        site was gone and their number disconnecte heh. :/
                        You can bet that there is no hamon... hidden or otherwise. The only thing
                        "samurai sword" about this is it's shape.
                        As far as this sword goes, you would be better off having a machine shop or
                        a person you know cut some steel stock into the shape of a katana.
                        I, personally, would not pay more than $50 for this, including shipping.

                        If I sound demeanative, please don't take it personally, it just frustraits
                        me when companies/people post stuff like this as "samurai sword" and etc. :(
                        It is folks like that who make the whole business of collecting or even
                        admiring geniune samurai swords a difficault one.

                        I recently had the honor to hold and SWING a genuine Nagamitsu (though I do
                        not recall now if it was the original Nagamitsu, or his son's, either way
                        very nice) blade that a friend of mine ackwired... and my goodness, the
                        balance as a cutting blade is outstanding... makes my blades look like
                        butter knives... then he put it back into his air tightened vault hehe.

                        Humbly,
                        Ash
                      • Minamoto no Taikawa Saiaiko
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 22, 2004
                          I will definitely be at the Samurai Chef class, it sounds yummy!
                          (Please excuse me though, the image of John Belushi with a katana
                          keeps popping up in my brain.) ;)

                          Since we are talking about classes, I would like to throw my two
                          cents in about Pennsic education this summer:

                          In honor of the art of warfare, my fellow presenters and I are
                          offering a demonstration on the techniques of prisoner restraint in
                          medieval Japan.

                          Title of Class- Hojojutsu: Prisoner Restraint in Medieval Japan
                          Description- A demonstration of period prisoner restraint, including
                          different levels of severity, binding as torture for interrogation,
                          and the social ramifications of captivity.

                          I hope to present this class on the Monday or Tuesday of War Week in
                          the evening. It has been a great deal of fun researching and
                          putting this class together, and I hope many of you will come and
                          share our enthusiasm!

                          ~ Minamoto no Taikawa