Re: [SCA-JML] Undergarments

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6, 2002
      On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 Markejag@... wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > OK, I know this may have been posted before. But I changed computers (new
      > Dell, 1.4 GHz, Yahoo!) and then proceded to loss a lot of old e-mails :-(
      >
      > In the pictures I have seen of Men's garb. The undergarment is fit very
      > snuggly to the neck. I don't think they were called yukata nor under kosode.
      > Does anyone know what they were called?

      Undergarments? There are overgarments like that--namely the suikan,
      kariginu, and ho. I can't think of any undergarments, though.

      > I would also like clarification on the neck line. In peroid, was the cutout
      > for the neck a square cut (6" x 2" or 8" x 4") or was it a rounded at the
      > corners?

      Actually, it was generally a slit or a circle (in the case of closed
      necks). When you add the collar, the slit actually turns up, becoming
      more of a triangle. With some, like the hitatare, it is an open
      rectangle, which gives it that open feeling.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2002
        Markejag@... wrote:

        > In the pictures I have seen of Men's garb. The undergarment is fit very
        > snuggly to the neck. I don't think they were called yukata nor under kosode.
        > Does anyone know what they were called?

        It would be the juban, or hada-juban, which was the descendent of the kosode
        when the latter became outer wear.

        > I would also like clarification on the neck line. In peroid, was the cutout
        > for the neck a square cut (6" x 2" or 8" x 4") or was it a rounded at the
        > corners?

        Depends on the period. Some were actually straight triangular cuts, but kosode
        usually had a straight drop from the cut along the opening (making the actual
        neck opening like a short, wide, point-down pentagon).