Undergarments

  • Markejag@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2002
      Greetings,

      OK, I know this may have been posted before. But I changed computers (new
      Dell, 1.4 GHz, Yahoo!) and then proceded to loss a lot of old e-mails :-(

      In the pictures I have seen of Men's garb. The undergarment is fit very
      snuggly to the neck. I don't think they were called yukata nor under kosode.
      Does anyone know what they were called?
      I would also like clarification on the neck line. In peroid, was the cutout
      for the neck a square cut (6" x 2" or 8" x 4") or was it a rounded at the
      corners?

      Thanks,

      Bun'ami

    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2002
        On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 Markejag@... wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > OK, I know this may have been posted before. But I changed computers (new
        > Dell, 1.4 GHz, Yahoo!) and then proceded to loss a lot of old e-mails :-(
        >
        > In the pictures I have seen of Men's garb. The undergarment is fit very
        > snuggly to the neck. I don't think they were called yukata nor under kosode.
        > Does anyone know what they were called?

        Undergarments? There are overgarments like that--namely the suikan,
        kariginu, and ho. I can't think of any undergarments, though.

        > I would also like clarification on the neck line. In peroid, was the cutout
        > for the neck a square cut (6" x 2" or 8" x 4") or was it a rounded at the
        > corners?

        Actually, it was generally a slit or a circle (in the case of closed
        necks). When you add the collar, the slit actually turns up, becoming
        more of a triangle. With some, like the hitatare, it is an open
        rectangle, which gives it that open feeling.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2002
          Markejag@... wrote:

          > In the pictures I have seen of Men's garb. The undergarment is fit very
          > snuggly to the neck. I don't think they were called yukata nor under kosode.
          > Does anyone know what they were called?

          It would be the juban, or hada-juban, which was the descendent of the kosode
          when the latter became outer wear.

          > I would also like clarification on the neck line. In peroid, was the cutout
          > for the neck a square cut (6" x 2" or 8" x 4") or was it a rounded at the
          > corners?

          Depends on the period. Some were actually straight triangular cuts, but kosode
          usually had a straight drop from the cut along the opening (making the actual
          neck opening like a short, wide, point-down pentagon).