Re: [SCA-JML] OT - Cruise to star in "Japanese epic"

    Message 1 of 35 , Mar 1, 2002
      Nate Ledbetter wrote:

      > I'm not aware of any American military advisers...we
      > had some very influential people in the education
      > arena, but the Japanese liked to study the best during
      > the big modernization push, and militarily that meant
      > the British Navy and the French Army (until the
      > Franco-Prussian War) and then the German Army. Maybe
      > he's playing a German? As if his Irish accent wasn't
      > bad enough...

      LOL!

      There is that. <G>

      Actually, one of the issues is, we don't know *who* is being advised. Early on,
      different han relied on different authorities. It wasn't until c. 1862 that
      things started to become more solid as to who was providing the "outside
      advice". By then, of course, the Americans were otherwise occupied. <G>

      But I wouldn't let a little thing like history get in the way of telling a good
      story. Why, we all know it was really the Americans who got the first Enigma
      machine (U-571), it was Walsingham who assassinated Marie de Guise (Elizabeth)
      and... sigh...

      Effingham
    • Elaine Koogler
      Message 35 of 35 , Mar 12, 2002
        Thanks for your kind words. I may even be able to drag that most reluctant of Japanese gentlemen, Inazuma Yoshinaga no Ason (who seems to only show up for Japanese events!!) out for it. For those of you who haven't met him, he's my lord, usually known as Baron Phillip of Ghent.

        Kiri