Re: Re: Re: Hojo Tokimune was Eboshi question

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2002
      > From: "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>
      > Subject: Re: Re: Hojo Tokimune was Eboshi question
      >
      > James Eckman wrote:
      >

      > > Actually there were two things that bothered me when I watched the
      > > series. One was the Mongol 'landing craft', they had a flop down front
      > > just like a WW2 one and when I watched the actual landing scenes I was
      > > flashing back to 'Longest Day' and 'Private Ryan'.
      >
      > Ever look at the Mongol Invasion Scroll? <G>

      Yes, at least the part with the boats, NHK's version looked a bit more
      modern. I can't think of anyway to actually make an ancient period boat
      with a landing craft bow that wouldn't sink. On the other hand there are
      plenty of period Chinese and even Western boats that have that scow-like
      nose. A bit of artistic license I would say.

      > > Also, the Mongol's
      > > bombs and bomb throwers seemed a bit long ranged and overly explosive. I
      > > think this sort of thing is more along the lines of it looks 'really
      > > cool' let's film it this way. The wide variety of characters and social
      > > classes were far more interesting than some of the other jidai-geki.
      > >

      > Oh, well, that doesn't surprise me. They love the special effects (like Benkei a
      > few years ago throwing people on very visible wires the length of a football
      > field) but the *details* of the architecture and costumes and armour they
      > generally get right.

      It looks about right until the nose drops ;) Then it's where's Ryan!
      Having hordes shoot out the front rather than over the sides looks more
      dramatic I admit.

      Jim Eckman