Re: Hojo Tokimune was Eboshi question

  • James Eckman
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 23, 2002
      > From: "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>
      > True, but you can usually trust NHK not to go too rococo. And I only saw a
      > couple of eps of Sandai, but I would kill for copies of Tokimune. I've been
      > thinking about doing my dissertation on the Mongol Invasion...

      Actually there were two things that bothered me when I watched the
      series. One was the Mongol 'landing craft', they had a flop down front
      just like a WW2 one and when I watched the actual landing scenes I was
      flashing back to 'Longest Day' and 'Private Ryan'. Also, the Mongol's
      bombs and bomb throwers seemed a bit long ranged and overly explosive. I
      think this sort of thing is more along the lines of it looks 'really
      cool' let's film it this way. The wide variety of characters and social
      classes were far more interesting than some of the other jidai-geki.

      Jim Eckman
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25, 2002
        James Eckman wrote:

        > Actually there were two things that bothered me when I watched the
        > series. One was the Mongol 'landing craft', they had a flop down front
        > just like a WW2 one and when I watched the actual landing scenes I was
        > flashing back to 'Longest Day' and 'Private Ryan'.

        Ever look at the Mongol Invasion Scroll? <G>

        > Also, the Mongol's
        > bombs and bomb throwers seemed a bit long ranged and overly explosive. I
        > think this sort of thing is more along the lines of it looks 'really
        > cool' let's film it this way. The wide variety of characters and social
        > classes were far more interesting than some of the other jidai-geki.

        Oh, well, that doesn't surprise me. They love the special effects (like Benkei a
        few years ago throwing people on very visible wires the length of a football
        field) but the *details* of the architecture and costumes and armour they
        generally get right.

        Effingham
      • James Eckman
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 25, 2002
          > From: "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@...>
          > Subject: Re: Re: Hojo Tokimune was Eboshi question
          >
          > James Eckman wrote:
          >

          > > Actually there were two things that bothered me when I watched the
          > > series. One was the Mongol 'landing craft', they had a flop down front
          > > just like a WW2 one and when I watched the actual landing scenes I was
          > > flashing back to 'Longest Day' and 'Private Ryan'.
          >
          > Ever look at the Mongol Invasion Scroll? <G>

          Yes, at least the part with the boats, NHK's version looked a bit more
          modern. I can't think of anyway to actually make an ancient period boat
          with a landing craft bow that wouldn't sink. On the other hand there are
          plenty of period Chinese and even Western boats that have that scow-like
          nose. A bit of artistic license I would say.

          > > Also, the Mongol's
          > > bombs and bomb throwers seemed a bit long ranged and overly explosive. I
          > > think this sort of thing is more along the lines of it looks 'really
          > > cool' let's film it this way. The wide variety of characters and social
          > > classes were far more interesting than some of the other jidai-geki.
          > >

          > Oh, well, that doesn't surprise me. They love the special effects (like Benkei a
          > few years ago throwing people on very visible wires the length of a football
          > field) but the *details* of the architecture and costumes and armour they
          > generally get right.

          It looks about right until the nose drops ;) Then it's where's Ryan!
          Having hordes shoot out the front rather than over the sides looks more
          dramatic I admit.

          Jim Eckman