Re: [SCA-JML] an even more minor nibble

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 18, 2002
      Erin Kelly wrote:

      > Okay, so there's a difference between "oo" and "ou"? I thought those
      > were two romanizations of the same concept.

      No, they're not. They're direct representations of the hiragana orthography
      of the words. They sound the same (long o, like in "go over" vs. "go"), but
      some words are spelled with O + U in Japanese and some with O + O. It's a
      historical orthography thing, a hold over from the way things used to be
      spelled. If you read Japanese, it's part of the reason that "wa" ("konnichi
      wa") is written with the kana *usually* read "ha" instead of the kana "wa",
      and "e" ("Tokyo e iku") is written with the "he" kana instead of the "e"
      kana.

      > P.S. Minor asian naming trivia for this week: I watched the US women's
      > hockey game against China, and I think the announcers were using the
      > Chinese players' names in their correct order, i.e. [family name]
      > [personal name].

      Well, they always do the Chinese names that way. Have you ever seen a
      reference to Zedong Mao, or Kaishek Jiang? Koreans get the same treatment (I
      never see Il-song Kim). Only Japanese get topsy-turveyed.