Names

  • Park McKellop
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 16, 2002
      If memory serves, (and I don't think anyone has mentioned it) Takezo and Musashi are alternate Chinese/Japanese readings of the same characters.

      Alcyoneus/Kondei Ichimusai Niten

      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 17, 2002
        Park McKellop wrote:

        > If memory serves, (and I don't think anyone has mentioned it) Takezo and Musashi are alternate Chinese/Japanese readings of the same characters.

        Indeed, they can be. When one encounters -zo names, one typically assumes "third son" but "treasury" is also a fairly common character.

        Effingham
      • Hina no Banpaia
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 22, 2003
          Would anyone mind defining the guidelines for choosing a name?
        • Solveig
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 23, 2003

            Greetings from Solveig! The rules for choosing a name are relatively
            simple. You come up with a name which could have been used by someone
            before 1601 which:

            1) Does not match the name of someone already in the Society
            No. You can not be Solveig Throndardottir
            2) Does not identify you with a specific person from the past
            No. You can not be Richard Plantaginet
            3) Does not attept to claim supernatural powers
            No. You can not be Thor Odinson
            4) Does not offend people
            No. You can not be Bal Satan
            5) Does not claim rank or title
            No. You can not be Duke Smith or Susan King.

            In practice, you should try to document your name to a specific time and
            place and choose a name which would be apprpriate for a specific social
            cast which does not automatically make yourself everyone's superior.

            If you are specifically interested in Japanese names, then I immodestly
            reccomend that you obtain a copy of Name Construction in Medieval Japan
            either through interlibrary loan or by purchasing a copy. The publisher
            can be reached at: mailto:Alban@...

            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 24, 2003
              Hina no Banpaia wrote:

              > Would anyone mind defining the guidelines for choosing a name?

              Do you mean guidelines for Japanese names, or guidlines for names in general?

              Effingham
            • Tinky
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 25, 2003
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony J. Bryant" <ajbryant@i...>
                wrote:
                > Hina no Banpaia wrote:
                >
                > > Would anyone mind defining the guidelines for choosing a name?
                >
                > Do you mean guidelines for Japanese names, or guidlines for names
                in general?

                > Effingham

                Names in general help, but an emphasis on Japanese names would also
                be helpful and much appreciated
              • Park McKellop
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 31, 2004
                  > and would this be suitable for a name?

                  No, sorry, it wouldn't. No more than it would in English. "Hi, my name is
                  Newlife Williams. Glad to meetcha." <G>

                  Effingham

                  That would work for 'Pilgrims' and other Puritans. ;-)

                  Alcyoneus

                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 31, 2004
                    Park McKellop wrote:

                    >>>and would this be suitable for a name?
                    >>

                    >> No, sorry, it wouldn't. No more than it would in English. "Hi, my name is
                    >> Newlife Williams. Glad to meetcha." <G>
                    >
                    > That would work for 'Pilgrims' and other Puritans. ;-)

                    Oh, yeah, well... there is that. <G>

                    Effingham
                  • Park McKellop
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 31, 2004
                      Also, I would add that Buddhist names are fine for people who still
                      participate in the 'real' world: check out Takeda _Shingen_ and Uesugi
                      _Kenshin_, for starters. Taking orders does not relegate you to a
                      monastary (although some may complain about your piety).

                      -Ii

                      Chaucer sure has a big mouth. ;-)

                      Alcyoneus

                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 31, 2004
                        The mental picture of a Japanse man in pilgrim clothes with a sword tucked through his belt standing with the others comming off the Mayflower somehow strikes me as quite amusing.

                        "And who are you?"

                        "Ah.... Original Paddy, New-life...."

                        Sounds like something from a Terry Pratchett book. 'specially if he is an Omanian.

                        Still figuring out a name meself.
                        -Mike
                      • James Eckman
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 29 7:02 AM
                          You can always call yourself Mulberry or something of the like, in
                          Japanese of course ;)

                          Jim
                        • Park McKellop
                          Message 12 of 23 , May 14, 2004
                            > http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/precedents/CompiledNamePrecedents/J
                            > apanese.html

                            Oy. There is *so* much wrong there it hurts my hair.

                            Effingham

                            Hm, maybe I've got a chance!

                            Alcyoenus (looking very carefully for Eff's tartan claid ninja...)

                          • mai_mikage
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 6, 2006
                              Greetings everyone,
                              In my pursuit or persona, I'm still trying to collect many of
                              the resources that have been suggested to me by many of you. My
                              thanks again. It seems in what research I have been able to do that
                              a psuedonym would be appropriate, as many fmale names were not
                              recorded, and artists of various sorts always used them. I would
                              like advice, help, and or gentle correction on my choice so far in
                              this area. Tsukicho is my first choice, as I have not found a way
                              to use Red, or Crimson butterfly that I like.

                              Also, I found quite by acident, adn anime that takes place in
                              Heian Era japan. I wouldn't mention it, but they took the time to
                              consult a professer of Tokyo University about costuming and
                              historical accuracy in general. "Otogi Zoshi" is the name of the
                              show, and though it's not my favorite style, I'm quite enjoying it.
                              There's more male costume in it than female, which I'm dissapointed
                              in, but what they have is very pretty.

                              Thank you for your time and consideration
                              Shirin
                            • Ii Saburou Katsumori (Joshua B.)
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 6, 2006
                                On 2/6/06, mai_mikage <Mai_Mikage@...> wrote:

                                > Greetings everyone,
                                > In my pursuit or persona, I'm still trying to collect many of
                                > the resources that have been suggested to me by many of you. My
                                > thanks again. It seems in what research I have been able to do that
                                > a psuedonym would be appropriate, as many fmale names were not
                                > recorded, and artists of various sorts always used them. I would
                                > like advice, help, and or gentle correction on my choice so far in
                                > this area. Tsukicho is my first choice, as I have not found a way
                                > to use Red, or Crimson butterfly that I like.

                                Welcome, Shirin-dono! Ware wa Ii to mousu mono*

                                Solveig-hime has a fair number of female names in her work "Name
                                Construction in Mediaeval Japan". Unfortunately, I cannot find evidence of
                                'Tsukicho', although 'Tsukime' appears to be perfectly appropriate, going
                                back to at least the Heian period. 'Tokiko' and 'Tokime' are also names you
                                might find there.

                                I can find various combinations with 'Red', but nothing using 'Butterfly'.
                                I'm not sure what an appropriate nickname would be in that case,
                                unfortunately. 'Crimson Butterfly' seems an odd conotation--I assume
                                meaning is the most important thing to you; may I ask why? What is it about
                                this meaning that speaks to you? It may be that equivalent meaning
                                or images may be had through a connection of other words with nuances that
                                you aren't currently imagining that could lead to a perfectly appropriate
                                name that still says something to you.

                                Also, have you given thought to a family name? Fujiwara would be the
                                obvious choice for anyone with ambition during the Heian period, but it is
                                not necessarily the only one.

                                -Ii

                                *I am the one humbly called 'Ii'

                              • 015Mai Mikage
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 6, 2006
                                  Part of the imagery I am looking for with the butterfly is the idea of
                                  transformation. I am a shy idividual with some anxiety and self esteem
                                  issues I am striving to overcome. I want to become a figure of grace and
                                  beauty, and I think the butterfly is an emblem of that wish. I do also need
                                  to admit that I am a bit of a flighty airhead at times, and as the butterfly
                                  moves from flower to flower, I thought that fit as well.

                                  Tsuki, I was looking at because of the fact that the moon is mystery,
                                  and femininity, a cool and distant romantic image. Despite having no
                                  children, I am often found with a ring of younglings at events.... and
                                  everywhere else I go. Also because Sailor Moon was the first anime that
                                  pulled me into my growing fascination with Japan.

                                  Here is where I hang my head and pull out the geek sign. Crimson
                                  Butterflies are an integral part of an elaborat video game I play, and have
                                  great significance in the storyline. The beauty of the imagery in the game
                                  struck a cord at the same time that the game itself terrified me, it's a
                                  horror/survial sort of game, and very well done.
                                  So there are my thoughts on names, I am a flighty person, easliy
                                  intimidated, and just as easily distracted by "shinny" things. I'm searching
                                  for a name that suits me and inspires me to greatness, something to strive
                                  for. Sorry for the rambling, and thank you for your help.

                                  Shirin

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 7, 2006

                                    Greetings from Solveig! A lot of the nicknames by which we know court
                                    ladies of the Heian period follow a few fairly well worn forms. For
                                    example: 1) The room where they served at court. 2) Their relationship
                                    to some famous male. That sort of thing. Most of the art name styles
                                    developed a bit later. Another problem is that if you wish to register
                                    your name with the College o Arms, then you need to come up with two
                                    names. This is a lot easier to do if you choose a formal name.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 10, 2007
                                      Bad Monkey!

                                      Inspired,
                                      Nakagawa Sukeie

                                      To ask a question may be a moments shame,
                                      But not to ask and remain ignorant is a life long shame.

                                    • rajanikant42
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 24, 2010
                                        Hello!
                                        I'm currently working on getting a persona put together and one of the big things people in the Barony I belong to are wanting me to get, is a name. I've been trying to look into it as much as possible, though I'm sure I'm missing a bit. Here is what I'm currently looking at:

                                        Sakai (Sakei?) Ishi
                                        or
                                        Maeba Ishi

                                        The first one is the one I'm leaning more towards, but I'm just not sure if it's all put together right and if it's viable. Thanks for any help and suggestions!

                                        Stone
                                      • JL Badgley
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 25, 2010
                                          On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 4:14 AM, rajanikant42 <artaith@...> wrote:
                                          > Hello!
                                          >  I'm currently working on getting a persona put together and one of the big things people in the Barony I belong to are wanting me to get, is a name. I've been trying to look into it as much as possible, though I'm sure I'm missing a bit. Here is what I'm currently looking at:
                                          >
                                          > Sakai (Sakei?) Ishi
                                          > or
                                          > Maeba Ishi
                                          >
                                          > The first one is the one I'm leaning more towards, but I'm just not sure if it's all put together right and if it's viable. Thanks for any help and suggestions!

                                          The biggest potential problem that I can see is actually "Ishi". As a
                                          name element, this is no problem, but I can't think of any names that
                                          are just "Ishi"; and usually that name is part of one's family name
                                          (e.g. Ishikawa)

                                          -Ii
                                        • juditheileen21
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 8, 2010
                                            Greetings,

                                            When you get back from GWW and have unpacked, washed and rested....

                                            The Academy of St. Gabriel has a list of Japanese women's names. How do I find out what the names mean?

                                            Thanks,
                                            Eileen
                                          • Ellen Badgley
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Oct 10, 2010
                                              Greetings,

                                              Do you have a link to the page on the Academy website? If there is a
                                              particular one you are considering, or a particular meaning you would like
                                              to go for, I and my husband (and other members of the list, I am sure) would
                                              be happy to help find if there is a historically appropriate name available!

                                              It would be helpful if the kanji/characters were available, as they are
                                              important to the meaning.

                                              Solveig Throndardottir's "Name Construction in Medieval Japan" is probably
                                              the best historical name resource available, if your local Herald has a
                                              copy...

                                              YIS,
                                              Abe Akirakeiko
                                              On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 12:53 PM, juditheileen21
                                              <judith.eileen@...>wrote:

                                              > Greetings,
                                              >
                                              > When you get back from GWW and have unpacked, washed and rested....
                                              >
                                              > The Academy of St. Gabriel has a list of Japanese women's names. How do I
                                              > find out what the names mean?
                                              >
                                              > Thanks,
                                              > Eileen

                                            • Eileen Young
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Oct 10, 2010
                                                The link is : http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi/3001.txt
                                                This is the list of 14th-16th C women's names. The Kanji characters are not listed. I was wondering if there was a site available that I could use to see what the names mean. (Easy to use, hopefully) More curiosity than anything else. Since the kanji seem to be important and I don't have that, I will not worry about it. I read in the Japanese Miscellany that all the Japanese names have a meaning and I was curious. I am looking for a flower or plant name (if I like to looks of the flower or plant) to use with a clan name but I am in no hurry. I'm too new to the study of Japanese medieval culture to hurry.
                                                Thank you.
                                                Eileen

                                                > To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
                                                > From: flyingrat42@...
                                                > Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 22:14:45 +0900
                                                > Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Names
                                                >
                                                > Greetings,
                                                >
                                                > Do you have a link to the page on the Academy website? If there is a
                                                > particular one you are considering, or a particular meaning you would like
                                                > to go for, I and my husband (and other members of the list, I am sure) would
                                                > be happy to help find if there is a historically appropriate name available!
                                                >
                                                > It would be helpful if the kanji/characters were available, as they are
                                                > important to the meaning.
                                                >
                                                > Solveig Throndardottir's "Name Construction in Medieval Japan" is probably
                                                > the best historical name resource available, if your local Herald has a
                                                > copy...
                                                >
                                                > YIS,
                                                > Abe Akirakeiko
                                                > On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 12:53 PM, juditheileen21
                                                > <judith.eileen@...>wrote:
                                                >

                                                > > Greetings,
                                                > >
                                                > > When you get back from GWW and have unpacked, washed and rested....
                                                > >
                                                > > The Academy of St. Gabriel has a list of Japanese women's names. How do I
                                                > > find out what the names mean?
                                                > >
                                                > > Thanks,
                                                > > Eileen

                                              • JL Badgley
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Oct 10, 2010
                                                  On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Eileen Young
                                                  <judith.eileen@...> wrote:

                                                  > The link is :  http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi/3001.txt
                                                  > This is the list of 14th-16th C women's names.  The Kanji characters are not listed.  I was wondering if there was a site available that I could use to see what the names mean. (Easy to use, hopefully)  More curiosity than anything else.  Since the kanji seem to be important and I don't have that, I will not worry about it.  I read in the Japanese Miscellany that all the Japanese names have a meaning and I was curious.  I am looking for a flower or plant name (if I like to looks of the flower or plant) to use with a clan name but I am in no hurry.  I'm too new to the study of Japanese medieval culture to hurry.
                                                  > Thank you.
                                                  > Eileen

                                                  Okay, so the site you found references Solveig's book on Japanese
                                                  names. The best advice is to find a local herald with a copy, if
                                                  possible. Otherwise, we could potentially help with any given name,
                                                  but going through them all--we'd just be reposting what Lady Solveig
                                                  has already published.