Gulf Wars

  • urufu_tenzo
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 15, 2002
      Sorry for requesting a probable rehash but, Is anyone getting
      together at Gulf War, any events or classes etc.?

      Most Humbly in Your Service,

      Urufu Tenzo
    • Bubba
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 8, 2003
        We've been thinking about making a trip to Gulf Wars next year, assuming we
        can pull off a few miracles of scheduling and spousal bribery. Anyone else
        thinking of going? Would be entirely too cool if all of the Japanese clans,
        households, and personas could camp in the same place. Has anyone ever been?
        The biggest event I've been to was about 500 people and 4 days, so this
        would be new to me. What should we expect?
        --
        Kagemasa
        mysticz28@...
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 23, 2004
          Are any of you thinking about going to Gulf Wars next month? A group
          from my area is heading down for the second weekend, and I was
          wanting to know if there would be any folks from the JML in
          attendance. I would really like to take a look at some Japanese
          period encampments and get some ideas. Books are fun, but hanging
          out at an event and gleening a little knowledge is even better :)

          ICHIKAWA Moromoto
          mka: Ron McAdams
        • Donald Luby
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 23, 2004
            On Feb 23, 2004, at 11:14 AM, megomaniac76 wrote:

            > Are any of you thinking about going to Gulf Wars next month? A group
            > from my area is heading down for the second weekend, and I was
            > wanting to know if there would be any folks from the JML in
            > attendance. I would really like to take a look at some Japanese
            > period encampments and get some ideas. Books are fun, but hanging
            > out at an event and gleening a little knowledge is even better :)

            I'll be heading down for Gulf Wars, but between space considerations,
            and time considerations, I won't be having anything particularly
            Japanese-looking at my encampment (three people and all their gear for
            a week, including two suits or armor in one vehicle, as well as the
            fact that I'm camping with all non-Japanese) and will be leaving by
            around noon on Saturday (a 1000-mile drive home over a weekend means we
            really can't stay any later, and still get home in time for work Monday
            in reasonable shape).

            But I should be pretty findable, and will be camping with AEthelmearc
            (Royal?).

            > ICHIKAWA Moromoto
            > mka: Ron McAdams

            Sir Koredono
          • Paul Woolsey
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 23, 2004
              My lady and I will be attending Gulf Wars as well. We're camping with Rolling Thunder. Come find us, if you want to wade through a pack of drunken hooligans in an attempt to meet the only two sober people on site....

              Seriously, we'd love to have you.

              Kinoshita Ryuujiro Yoshimitsu

              Wicked Thunder

            • kegage
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 23, 2004
                I am going to be at Gulf Wars from Monday through to the last day
                (Sunday). I will be in the Grey Niche encampment which should be on
                King's Hwy just north if the intersection of King's Hwy and Queen's
                Hwy. I also do not have any period Japanese stuff yet, but I am
                working on it. I am planning on doing some daily dojo style drills if
                any one else is interested. I plan right now to be at the fort around
                4:30pm each afternoon. If any one else is interested let me know.

                Waffle

                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "megomaniac76" <rmcadams@c...> wrote:
                > Are any of you thinking about going to Gulf Wars next month? A group
                > from my area is heading down for the second weekend, and I was
                > wanting to know if there would be any folks from the JML in
                > attendance. I would really like to take a look at some Japanese
                > period encampments and get some ideas. Books are fun, but hanging
                > out at an event and gleening a little knowledge is even better :)
                >
                > ICHIKAWA Moromoto
                > mka: Ron McAdams
              • Andrew Leitch
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 24, 2004
                  Konnichiwa, everyone!

                  I've just joined the list, and I am Andre de Montsegur, from the Barony of
                  Aneala in the Kingdom of Lochac (ie. Perth, Western Australia).

                  I've had a very long interest in Japan - to the extent of learning the
                  language, kendo, sumi-e and going to Japan study for four months. I have,
                  however, never gotten around to going fully "japanese" to an event. My
                  first armour (back in 1990) was a leather do-maru of sorts but after that,
                  I never really got back into the spirit of things.

                  These days I fight as an Austrian/French persona and get about in
                  landschnect gear (which is really very speckie!).

                  Still. I have hopes that one of these days I'll put my foot down and make
                  the armour I've always wanted to fight in. I've gotten back into bastard
                  sword techniques and my hand and a half sword is supiciously katana-like in
                  profile. When I don't fight with the bastard sword, I use two broadswords
                  instead.... and study the Go Rin No Sho for pointers. So... I think I may
                  be backsliding again. :)

                  I hope to participate in any of your discussions which catch my fancy and
                  perhaps to get re-enthused for a side of the SCA which is rarely seen
                  down-under.

                  Mata ne.

                  - Andre
                • Yama Kaminari no Date Saburou Yukiie
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 24, 2004
                    Konnichi wa, Andre-dono,
                    Welcome to the group, and enjoy your time here.
                    Going full Japanese to events is as fun as any other, but do not
                    be suprised at the looks you may get - I think it is "Western
                    Jealousy!"
                    Seriously, tomodachi, Japanese history had every bit as
                    complicated and interesting a history as Europe, with a wide
                    variety of armor styles, clothing, and combat techniques...
                    You should have no trouble finding references and resources to
                    glean from, and this list is chocked full of inteligent
                    researchers...
                    So, once again, welcome, and jump in as often as you feel
                    comfortable.
                    Remember, the only way to learn how to skydive is to let go of the
                    airplane...
                    :-)

                    Date Saburou Yukiie
                    Yama Kaminari Ryu
                    Shi wa hei to de aru - all are equal in the grave...
                    http://www.kabutographics.com
                    kabuto@...

                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Leitch" <kinder@w...>
                    wrote:

                    > Konnichiwa, everyone!
                    >
                    > I've just joined the list, and I am Andre de Montsegur, from the
                    Barony of
                    > Aneala in the Kingdom of Lochac (ie. Perth, Western Australia).
                    >
                    > I've had a very long interest in Japan - to the extent of learning
                    the
                    > language, kendo, sumi-e and going to Japan study for four
                    months. I have,
                    > however, never gotten around to going fully "japanese" to an
                    event. My
                    > first armour (back in 1990) was a leather do-maru of sorts but
                    after that,
                    > I never really got back into the spirit of things.
                    >
                    > These days I fight as an Austrian/French persona and get
                    about in
                    > landschnect gear (which is really very speckie!).
                    >
                    > Still. I have hopes that one of these days I'll put my foot down
                    and make
                    > the armour I've always wanted to fight in. I've gotten back into
                    bastard
                    > sword techniques and my hand and a half sword is
                    supiciously katana-like in
                    > profile. When I don't fight with the bastard sword, I use two
                    broadswords
                    > instead.... and study the Go Rin No Sho for pointers. So... I
                    think I may
                    > be backsliding again. :)
                    >
                    > I hope to participate in any of your discussions which catch my
                    fancy and
                    > perhaps to get re-enthused for a side of the SCA which is
                    rarely seen
                    > down-under.
                    >
                    > Mata ne.
                    >
                    > - Andre
                  • Rosemary Norwood
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 26, 2004
                      Welcome!

                      My Lord, I and our two children are just recently located to the Barony
                      of River Haven (Brisbane) and although we are very geographically
                      distant, it is good to hear of other SCAdians with a Japanese interest
                      in Lochac.

                      We also have mundane interests in Japan and are just finding local
                      enthusiasts in Go, Aikido and Anime to join in addition to trying to
                      synch up with some Japanese language classes.

                      Welcome again, I hope you enjoy the list as much as we do.

                      Tatsu.

                      On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 11:39:22AM +0000, Andrew Leitch wrote:

                      > Konnichiwa, everyone!
                      >
                      > I've just joined the list, and I am Andre de Montsegur, from the Barony of
                      > Aneala in the Kingdom of Lochac (ie. Perth, Western Australia).

                      <snip>

                      > I hope to participate in any of your discussions which catch my fancy and
                      > perhaps to get re-enthused for a side of the SCA which is rarely seen
                      > down-under.
                      >
                      > Mata ne.
                      >
                      > - Andre
                    • Solveig
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 13, 2004
                        Noble Cousins!

                        Greetings from Solveig! Yes. I am still trying to see if I can reeive mail
                        from this mailing list.

                      • Solveig
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 13, 2004
                          Noble Cousins!

                          Greetings from Solveig! Your email group now appears to be accepting messages
                          from me, but not sending them to me. I regret that this makes it impossible
                          for me to continue to participate in your group. I deeply regret this as I
                          very much enjoy discussing things Japanese.

                        • scadragon@juno.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 13, 2004
                            Also be sure to allow time for messages to propagate thru the ether.....

                            Tochiro

                            On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 00:44:15 -0500 Solveig <nostrand@...> writes:
                            > Noble Cousins!
                            >
                            > Greetings from Solveig! Yes. I am still trying to see if I can
                            > reeive mail
                            > from this mailing list.
                            > --
                            >
                            > Your Humble Servant
                            > Solveig Throndardottir
                            > Amateur Scholar

                            > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS
                            > |
                            > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est
                            > |
                            > | mailto:nostrand@... | mailto:bnostran@...

                            > | Note. Many popular "free" email services are automatically routed
                            > to |
                            > | the trash by my email filters.

                            Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                          • Solveig
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 14, 2004
                              Noble Cousins!

                              Greetings from Solveig! Restoring devlivery at the Yahoo end appears to have
                              taken longer than restoring posting. I appear to have received a few messages
                              today. I am posting this to see if it is really working again.

                            • megomaniac76
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 15, 2004
                                It definatly working now. Glad we didn't lose you :)

                                ICHIKAWA Moromoto

                                > Greetings from Solveig! Restoring devlivery at the Yahoo end
                                appears to have
                                > taken longer than restoring posting. I appear to have received a
                                few messages
                                > today. I am posting this to see if it is really working again.
                                > --
                                >
                                > Your Humble Servant
                                > Solveig Throndardottir
                                > Amateur Scholar
                                >
                                > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
                                ---+
                                > | Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D. | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM,
                                CoS |
                                > | deMoivre Institute | Carolingia Statis Mentis
                                Est |
                                > | mailto:nostrand@a... | mailto:bnostran@l... |
                                > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
                                ---+
                                > | Note. Many popular "free" email services are automatically routed
                                to |
                                > | the trash by my email
                                filters. |
                                > +-------------------------------------------------------------------
                                ---+
                              • ErinK
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 11, 2010
                                  Hey, is anyone from here going to Gulf Wars? I usually see a few of my countrymen around there, but if there's anyone from this list I should seek out and say hi to, chime in!

                                  I will be accompanying a small army from Aethelmearc that includes many fighters in Japanese armor, so we should be easy to spot around battle time. (The one with the white belt is Sir Koredono, who's had a Japanese persona for ages and ages.)

                                  ERIN
                                  / Lady Elaine Fairchilde
                                  / she who really should get a Japanese name one of these days
                                • Jeanel Walker
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 11, 2010
                                    I am going to be there the last weekend I do hope to see you there.
                                    dont feel bad still working on a japanese name too =)

                                    Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull