Books

  • Park McKellop
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 15, 2002
      I'm not familiar with Occult Japan, but I found The Catalpa Bow to be quite good, at least up to the point where it gets into post-WWII grief over lost family members. It recognized it for what it was, and the earlier stuff was far more interesting

      Alcyoneus/Kondei Ichimusai Niten

    • makiwara_no_yetsuko
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 10, 2004
        My copy of "Ogi: A History of the Japanese Fan" arrived today. It's
        list priced at $75, but there's a dealer on eBay who regularly has it
        for $18.95. "Artmedia88" also carries a number of other books,
        particularly on Asian art, so I figured I'd mention it.

        As for "Ogi," it's yummy! A number of the examples are from the Fan
        Museum in Greenwich, England (one of the authors is the Founding
        Director. Almost all of the examples are post SCA-period, however,
        there is a tantalizing (and frustratingly small!!!) photo of a sutra
        fan leaf dating from the late 12th century from the Shitennoji Temple
        in Osaka. Nonetheless, it gives me a clue or two on dimensions of the
        fan paper and painting style.

        On the other hand, the two large photos of hyogi (dating from the
        19th century) are decent enough that I can see how the leaves are
        sewn together. And yes, boys, I found some basswood, OK? ;->

        If anyone else is interested, the authors are Julia Hutt and Helene
        Alexander, the publisher is Dauphin, London, 1992 and the ISBN is 1-
        872357-08-3. Try the guy on eBay - he's got the best price for it
        I've seen anywhere and check out his other auctions for other art
        books.

        Makiwara
      • Tace of Foxele
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 10, 2004
          At 04:21 PM 4/10/2004 +0000, Makiwara-dono wrote:

          >My copy of "Ogi: A History of the Japanese Fan" arrived today. It's
          >list priced at $75, but there's a dealer on eBay who regularly has it
          >for $18.95. "Artmedia88" also carries a number of other books,
          >particularly on Asian art, so I figured I'd mention it.

          I picked up my copy from a used bookseller for $20, so yeah, please don't
          spend more on that book!

          >As for "Ogi," it's yummy! A number of the examples are from the Fan
          >Museum in Greenwich, England (one of the authors is the Founding
          >Director. Almost all of the examples are post SCA-period, however,
          >there is a tantalizing (and frustratingly small!!!) photo of a sutra
          >fan leaf dating from the late 12th century from the Shitennoji Temple
          >in Osaka. Nonetheless, it gives me a clue or two on dimensions of the
          >fan paper and painting style.

          I've got two other books showing other sutra fan leaves from that same
          temple. The pictures are somewhat larger, but unfortunately, not in color
          like this example. However, here is the info if you want to track down
          those two pics:

          Gitter, Kurt A. and Fister, Pat. _Japanese Fan Paintings from Western
          Collections_ (New Orleans Museum of Art, 1985) ISBN:
          0-89494-021-X. p.7 . This book shows and describes fans used in a
          exhibition. Most are slightly past our period, but they are all different
          from the examples in the Ogi book and it is worth looking at if you like
          fans in general.

          Nakata, Yujiro. _The Art of Japanese Calligraphy_ translated by Alan
          Woodhull (New York; Weatherhill/Heibonsha, 1973) ISBN 0-8348-1013-1 p
          127 according to this book, the height is about 25.2 centimeters.

          Writing from my home overlooking the Great River,

          --Ki no Torahime
          Riverwatch, Calontir

          Our first event is only two weeks away! Come visit!
          http://riverwatch.servelle.com/triskelion/
        • makiwara_no_yetsuko
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 11, 2004
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Tace of Foxele <tace@m...> wrote:
            > I've got two other books showing other sutra fan leaves from that
            same
            > temple. The pictures are somewhat larger, but unfortunately, not
            in color
            > like this example. However, here is the info if you want to track
            down
            > those two pics:
            >
            > Gitter, Kurt A. and Fister, Pat. _Japanese Fan Paintings from
            Western
            > Collections_ (New Orleans Museum of Art, 1985) ISBN:
            > 0-89494-021-X. p.7 . This book shows and describes fans used in
            > exhibition. Most are slightly past our period, but they are all
            different
            > from the examples in the Ogi book and it is worth looking at if you
            like
            > fans in general.
            >
            > Nakata, Yujiro. _The Art of Japanese Calligraphy_ translated by
            Alan
            > Woodhull (New York; Weatherhill/Heibonsha, 1973) ISBN 0-8348-1013-1
            > 127 according to this book, the height is about 25.2 centimeters.

            Thanks! This may be useful.

            Makiwara
          • juditheileen21
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 27, 2010
              Apologies, profuse apologies. I seem to have been both dense trouble when I asked about book lists.

              To the good person who gently told me to look in the files, I went back and realized that I had looked at the bibliography files. I started in the Effingham file and it was overload, overload, overload. I got out and didn't go back until yesterday. The Kass files were more what I was looking for.

              What I should have done was asked you good people for your recommendations for BEGINNER'S books, in English, and fairly accessible on Japanese history, culture, clothing, textiles, and ceramics and why that book. Maybe by the time I have gotten through the beginner books I will have enough background for the "My Favorite Book On ______________" list.

              I should also ask what commonly available books to avoid.

              Again apologies.
              Eileen
            • JL Badgley
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 27, 2010
                On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 5:38 AM, juditheileen21
                <judith.eileen@...> wrote:
                > Apologies, profuse apologies.  I seem to have been both dense trouble when I asked about book lists.
                >
                > To the good person who gently told me to look in the files, I went back and realized that I had looked at the bibliography files.  I started in the Effingham file and it was overload, overload, overload.  I got out and didn't go back until yesterday.  The Kass files were more what I was looking for.
                >
                > What I should have done was asked you good people for your recommendations for BEGINNER'S books, in English, and fairly accessible on Japanese history, culture, clothing, textiles, and ceramics and why that book.  Maybe by the time I have gotten through the beginner books I will have enough background for the "My Favorite Book On ______________" list.
                >
                > I should also ask what commonly available books to avoid.

                Avoid Ratti and Westbrook. The small amounts of good information are
                overshadowed by other misinformation.

                Though it is dated, the 3 volume work by George Sansom on the history
                of Japan is a good starting place--it will get you familiar with the
                overview of Japanese history such that you can focus in on more
                specific topics. Likewise, most of the "Short History of Japan" type
                books are good to go through so that you can discuss the various eras
                and understand what people mean when they talk about the differences
                between Heian, Muromachi, Momoyama, etc.

                "The World of the Shining Prince" is great for court culture. Though
                specifically focusing on the late Heian period, much of that culture
                was part of the basis for later traditions, and it gives you a view
                outside of the traditional samurai mindset.

                Not for reading, but look through the Kyoto Costume Museum's pages at
                the outfits of various individuals; this might also inspire you to
                look further into a given topic.

                Stephen Turnbull is quite prolific, and many of us came to Japanese
                history at least partly through his works. That said, I have to warn
                you that his early stuff is filled with various errors and even his
                later stuff is often frowned upon by people in academic circles,
                though it is often the most accessible source of material in English.

                I recommend searching the archives of SCA-JML, as well as Tousando
                (http://tousando.proboards.com). Samurai-Archives
                (http://samurai-archives.com/) is also good, though it tends to focus
                on the warrior class in later periods. The forums there and the S-A
                wiki can both be good sources, though the wiki, as it is restricted to
                vetted volunteer editors, is not as full nor as complete as it should
                be.

                I recommend avoiding "Hagakure" until you have a firm grasp on
                Japanese history. Likewise I advise avoiding "Bushido" in a similar
                fashion. Both are describing Edo period culture, anyway. The works
                of Hayes and Hatsumi are likewise caveated, along with the
                acknowledgment that they approach the history from the point of view
                of their specific martial art(s).

                Hopefully that helps.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 27, 2010

                  > I should also ask what commonly available books to avoid.
                  Avoid "Secrets of the Samurai". Avoid P.G. O'Neil's "Japanese Names: A
                  Comprehensive Index by Characters and Readings" The P.G. O'Neil book
                  isn't a bad book, it just isn't useful for SCA purposes. "Secrets of
                  the Samurai" is a bad book.