Re: [SCA-JML] Japanese books

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2002
      Park McKellop wrote:

      > How useful are these books? I picked them up pretty cheap so I'm not worried about the cost, just the info.
      >
      > The World of the Shining Prince: Court Life in Ancient Japan by Ivan Morris

      Very good book; a soft intro to Heian life. Many professional academics have a less than superhigh opinion of
      the book, though, but I'm not one hundred percent sure why. I think it has something to do with the fact that
      Morris was a respected academic and translator, and had the bad taste to write a "popular" (as opposed to
      academic) book about Heian Japan that actually had legs in the non-academic market.

      > Sources of Japanese Tradition, Vol.1&2 ed. by W.T. de Bary.

      Excellent. They are, of course, almost entirely primary sources (albeit translated), being all texts from
      historical records, letters, diaries, documents, and so on.