Dobuku--embroidery and dyeing

  • Ii Saburou
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2002
      I'm in the process of making kosode and dobuku and was wondering if anyone
      out there had any experience with putting on mon or dyeing fabric.

      I can dye the entire cloth, but I am trying to figure out shibori
      sew-resist dyeing, which I assume is how they get many of the really
      intricate patterns.

      As for the embroidery, I was looking at the mon in several books and it
      almost looked like the mon was something that was first embroidered and
      then later sewn onto the garment. Is anyone familiar with this? Would it
      be like the patches on a boy scout uniform or something?

      Also, I'm not sure if this was done with embroidery, or only with other
      media. I know that a few that looked definitely like 'patches' were sewn
      onto undyed leather (deerskin).

      -Ii
    • Elaine Koogler
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2002
        Ii-dono,
        In working on your shirbori dyeing, I suggest you try to locate a copy of
        "Shibori, The Inventive Art of Japanese Shaped Resist Dyeing" by Wada, Rice
        and Barton. It is one of the very best books I've encountered on this
        technique and includes step by step directions/illustrations. It is very
        expensive, but you might find it at a library.I purchased it from the
        Textile Museum.

        I guess you could make them separate and embroider them on the garment, but
        I would have tried to do the embroidery directly on the garment. However,
        when I've done mon on garments, I've either painted them on or used a block
        print. Both techniques are, AFAIK, period. In either case, be sure, if the
        fabric is dark, to lay in a layer of white paint or your actual color will
        be lost in the background color.

        Kiri

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 14, 2002
          Ii Saburou wrote:

          > I'm in the process of making kosode and dobuku and was wondering if anyone
          > out there had any experience with putting on mon or dyeing fabric.
          >
          > I can dye the entire cloth, but I am trying to figure out shibori
          > sew-resist dyeing, which I assume is how they get many of the really
          > intricate patterns.

          Actually, the *really* intricate ones are, I think, resist dyeing. If you get
          it to work, lemme know. <G>

          > As for the embroidery, I was looking at the mon in several books and it
          > almost looked like the mon was something that was first embroidered and
          > then later sewn onto the garment. Is anyone familiar with this? Would it
          > be like the patches on a boy scout uniform or something?

          It's possible, but i rather doubt it. I imagine they would do the
          embroidery... wait. Hm. Well, given that garments were (supposedly)
          disassembled for washing, "removable" mon patches -- especially given that
          mon in some places were positioned *over* a seam -- would make sense. I'd
          have to look into that.

          > Also, I'm not sure if this was done with embroidery, or only with other
          > media. I know that a few that looked definitely like 'patches' were sewn
          > onto undyed leather (deerskin).

          Now *that* I've seen. <G>