two questions

  • karl.j.jacobs@jci.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8 11:00 AM
      Greetings!

      The incoming Prince of Northshield is Tatsu Kitakaze Raito, who will be
      leading our troops in battle at the Great Pennsic War. My Laurel has put
      two questions to me, which I turn to this august audience in trying to
      answer:

      First, His Highness has asked her to be in charge of waterbearing for the
      Principality, and would like to give her a title reflective of this
      position. While I understand that there was no such period office,
      position, or title, I would like to be able to give her the best
      approximation that I can. His Higness suggested "Water General" or
      "General of the Waterbearers" as possible terms for translation. Can
      anyone advise as to what the most correct term would be, in English and
      Japanese?

      Second, my Laurel would like to create Japanese garb with an
      waterbearing-related mon repeated on the fabric. Unfortunately, I know
      nothing of resist dyeing or woodblock stamping, but intend to start
      researching this. Does anyone have suggestions as to specific books to
      read or websites to explore?

      Arigato Gozaimasu,
      Kou Toshikage
    • John Lyon
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 31, 2008
        I have two seperate and laregly unrelated questions.

        The first is what sort of quivers would a Samauri have used while in
        the field? I have seen mostly the open stand quivers or the closed
        tubes, but neither of those seem suitable for a fighting man. I have
        seen one picture of a small rigid tube (no idea what it is made of or
        how it is finished) with a door and what looks like fabric over the
        bulk of the arrows. It hangs on the warriors hip with the arrows
        pointing to his opposite shoulder. He opens the flap and is able to
        pull the arrows out one at a time to fire.
        On a related question is there any information about the construction
        of the bowstring holders? Are they just two pieces of wooden donut
        shapes hollowed out and glued together or is it more complicated than
        that?

        Second question, the Sashimono (back banner). I attempted to make one
        for my heavy fighting kit, I took it to practice last night and it
        snapped. Now my understanding was that people who have used them on
        the field used bicycle flags for the pole and that this has been
        successful. So what are other ways to do this and make it list legal?
        I have had it suggested that I use weapon grade siloflex, but that
        seems like it might be a bit much. Any other ideas for materials? Also
        how might one go about attaching it to oneself. I had made a leather
        pocket and a loop higher on my back, I think I had it to high because
        the banner leaned forward and hit my helm.

        --
        "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
        things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I

        John Lyon
        aka The Ugly Dragon
        aka Kita Jiru Toramassa
      • Shefferly, Charles
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 31, 2008
          Can't say about the quiver, others may know.

          As for the Sashimono, I have seen on period pieces that there is a
          "hinged-like" bracket on the back of the Do. (like this one
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sashimono) I have seen a better picture,
          but I can't seem to find it ATM. The bracket would keep it from falling
          into your kabuto.

          For the fiberglass bike flag, check this site.
          http://www.yamakaminari.com/Armor/sashi.html

          ________________________________

[...]

          thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
          terrible
          things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now
          take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the
          universe."
          -Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5

          John Lyon
          aka The Ugly Dragon
          aka Kita Jiru Toramassa

          **********************
          ** LEGAL DISCLAIMER **
          **********************

          This E-mail message and any attachments may contain
          legally privileged, confidential or proprietary
          information. If you are not the intended recipient(s),
          or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of
          this message to the intended recipient(s), you are
          hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
          or copying of this E-mail message is strictly
          prohibited. If you have received this message in
          error, please immediately notify the sender and
          delete this E-mail message from your computer.

        • sekinakagawa@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 31, 2008
            Greetings,
            I believe that the best people to get information from is the folks at Yama
            Kaminari and their associates as they use them all the time in the field for
            what I have seen in pictures. They even have a place in their web site where
            you can find information on how to make it.

            Humbly,
            Nakagawa Sukeie

            To ask a question may be a moments' shame,
            But not to ask and remain ignorant is a life long shame.

            FanHouse Fantasy Football today.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 31, 2008
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "John Lyon" <toramassa@...> wrote:

              > I have two seperate and laregly unrelated questions.
              >
              > The first is what sort of quivers would a Samauri have used while in
              > the field?

              Come on over to the Tousando forum at
              http://tousando.proboards18.com/index.cgi and use the search module to
              look for the term "ebira." I know some of the guys have posted photos
              of the ones they've made.

              > Second question, the Sashimono (back banner).
              http://www.yamakaminari.com/Armor/sashi.html shows how the Yama
              Kaminari folks make theirs.

              Hope this helps.
              Saionji no Hanae
              West
            • Michael Peters
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 31, 2008
                The bowstring holders are traditionally woven rattan husk. Hollowed out wooden doughnut halves would probably work well for the SCA field however.

                To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.comFrom: toramassa@...: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 09:50:31 -0500Subject: [SCA-JML] two questions

                I have two seperate and laregly unrelated questions.The first is what sort of quivers would a Samauri have used while inthe field? I have seen mostly the open stand quivers or the closedtubes, but neither of those seem suitable for a fighting man. I haveseen one picture of a small rigid tube (no idea what it is made of orhow it is finished) with a door and what looks like fabric over thebulk of the arrows. It hangs on the warriors hip with the arrowspointing to his opposite shoulder. He opens the flap and is able topull the arrows out one at a time to fire.On a related question is there any information about the constructionof the bowstring holders? Are they just two pieces of wooden donutshapes hollowed out and glued together or is it more complicated thanthat?Second question, the Sashimono (back banner). I attempted to make onefor my heavy fighting kit, I took it to practice last night and itsnapped. Now my understanding was that people who have used them onthe field used bicycle flags for the pole and that this has beensuccessful. So what are other ways to do this and make it list legal?I have had it suggested that I use weapon grade siloflex, but thatseems like it might be a bit much. Any other ideas for materials? Alsohow might one go about attaching it to oneself. I had made a leatherpocket and a loop higher on my back, I think I had it to high becausethe banner leaned forward and hit my helm.-- "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then Ithought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terriblethings that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now Itake great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."-Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5John Lyonaka The Ugly Dragonaka Kita Jiru Toramassa

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 31, 2008
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Michael Peters <shdwstel@...> wrote:

                  > The bowstring holders are traditionally woven rattan husk. Hollowed
                  out wooden doughnut halves would probably work well for the SCA field
                  however.

                  Or a really stale bagel....

                  Saionji no Hanae
                  West
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 6, 2008

                    Greetings from Solveig! I recommend that you look at quivers
                    appearing in battle paintings or in paintings of individuals wearing
                    armor. Please do not argue with what you discover. Japanese ideas of
                    suitability may not match your ideas of suitability.

                  • seven_add1
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 12, 2008
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, karl.j.jacobs@... wrote:

                      > Greetings!
                      >
                      > The incoming Prince of Northshield is Tatsu Kitakaze Raito, who will be
                      > leading our troops in battle at the Great Pennsic War. My Laurel
                      has put
                      > two questions to me, which I turn to this august audience in trying to
                      > answer:
                      >
                      > First, His Highness has asked her to be in charge of waterbearing
                      for the
                      > Principality, and would like to give her a title reflective of this
                      > position. While I understand that there was no such period office,
                      > position, or title, I would like to be able to give her the best
                      > approximation that I can. His Higness suggested "Water General" or
                      > "General of the Waterbearers" as possible terms for translation. Can
                      > anyone advise as to what the most correct term would be, in English and
                      > Japanese?
                      >
                      > Arigato Gozaimasu,
                      > Kou Toshikage

                      People seem to have gotten distracted from your post. My best bet
                      would be Mizuka no Oyadama 水舁の親玉. The "ka" is from verb kaku 舁く
                      "to bear; to carry". Mizu is water. Oyadama means "boss; chief; head".
                      Now whether or not it's periodish I don't know. Japanese language is
                      not my strong suit and I used my dictionaries to come up with this.

                      Tatsume