Re: [SCA-JML] Re: War Fan

    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 5, 2002
      michael A wrote:

      > kuji-donos gunsen is actually a mass weapon. the body
      > is made of foam. it can be used for striking and has a
      > thrusting point and is usually used as part of a two
      > weapon pair.
      > as for actual shield alternatives, ive seen primarily
      > two types. a version of an unfolded fan that is based
      > on a quarter circle with a handle at the circles
      > center area. ie the tip is cut of and an oval cut asa
      > handle.

      The thing is, I've never seen anything like this in the Real World, and to
      my mind it falls under the "bogus gear" heading.

      > or a play off a tate(pavis) of an arquibuseur used as
      > a small retangler center grip.

      This at least existed (in the 13th c.), but in Sengoku armour is again under
      "bogus gear". <G>

      Effingham
    • kujika@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 6, 2002
        something I found on fans

        Tessen Styles

        Like Japanese hand fans, Tessen were made in three basic shapes or styles. Typically, the Tessen were one shaku long, which is about one-half inch more than a foot by modern standards. In general, the three standard Tessen shapes included:

        Sensu-gata - the basic folding fan
        Maiohgi-gata - the style used for traditional Japanese dancing and in kabuki plays
        Gunsen-gata - the style used to control military troops during war

        Tessen, which actually folded, were also referred to as menhari-gata. These were made of metal ribs covered with silk or washi, a very strong paper. The paper was often lacquered, reinforced with gold or silver foil, or treated with oil to make it both more decorative and less susceptible to weather damage.

        In some cases, only the outside ribs were metal while the inside ribs were made of the more flexible and lightweight bamboo strips. The latter were less heavy and easier to carry than the former, but were only effective as a self-defence implement when closed. A folding Tessen was not only effective as a defensive weapon, but could be used as a regular hand fan if necessary. Tessen was the term used most frequently when referring to the folding style.

        A folding Tessen was expensive to make and difficult to maintain, though. Frequently Tessen were solid iron cast in the shape of a closed fan. This type was generally called tenarashi-gata and was usually quite heavy. Some were made with straight edges and only faintly resembled a hand fan while others were more convincing replicas.

        Most samurai considered tenarashi-gata much more effective in combat than the folding style. This style of Tessen also became quite popular with both the samurai police officers and their non-samurai assistants. Their disarming and arresting techniques often employed a combination of Tessen and Jutte, the iron truncheon they carried as a badge of office and as a weapon.

        Solid style Tessen were also carved from hard wood such as sunuke or oak. Called motsu-shaku, the solid wooden fan was fairly easy and inexpensive to make. In comparison to the heavier iron Tessen, a motsu-shaku was also lighter and therefore easier to carry. Samurai often used a motsu-shaku for self-protection as well as for practice.

        Tessen Decoration

        Both the folding and solid style often incorporated engravings of suitable poems, rank titles, animal images, or symbolic kanji characters. Sometimes a fancy silk cord wrapping was used as a handle, almost like a bladed weapon. Of course, many Tessen were of a more sober and functional style, including little or no decoration of any kind.

        Tessen Practice

        Although the practice of tessen-jutsu was considered part of the classical Japanese weapon arts, it was primarily intended for self-defence Tessen techniques were typically based on reactions for self-protection rather than more aggressive strikes. Most tessen-jutsu techniques are designed to incapacitate or restrain an individual opponent rather than for inflicting permanent injury or death.

        By Don Cunningham
      • michael A
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 6, 2002
          agreed
          and this is why i find neither compelling designs
          -kiyohara

          http://greetings.yahoo.com