Re: [SCA-JML] Nice outfit at University

    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 3, 2002
      Ii Saburou wrote:

      > I just want to tell you all about a wonderful 'first time' outfit that I
      > saw at university. A young man by the name of Kinoshita came up to me at
      > the LAST Atlantian university and asked about Japanese clothing, and I was
      > able to point him to some references via the list. I don't know if he is
      > subscribed to this list or not, but I was very impressed.
      >
      > The hakama were of an olive green color, and of a nice looking fabric.
      > The cut on both it and the kosode were very nice. It was a shame, but as
      > he explained to me he had not finished the upper piece (I don't recall if
      > he had said it would be a hitatare or a kataginu, but it would be of the
      > same material as the hakama. He noted some problems and we discussed
      > them, but they weren't anything obvious.
      >
      > I just think he deserves kudos, and the list deserves to know that we are
      > helping some people in their endeavors.

      Spiff!

      I always rejoice when I see hakama that aren't black or dark blue. <G>

      Effingham
    • Ii Saburou
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 3, 2002
        On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

        > Spiff!
        >
        > I always rejoice when I see hakama that aren't black or dark blue. <G>

        Speaking of which, white seems to be a good color. Do you think the
        'white himo' problem exists with white hakama? I don't imagine there
        would be a problem because it wouldn't look like a white belt, but...

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 3, 2002
          Ii Saburou wrote:

          > On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
          >
          > > Spiff!
          > >
          > > I always rejoice when I see hakama that aren't black or dark blue. <G>
          >
          > Speaking of which, white seems to be a good color. Do you think the
          > 'white himo' problem exists with white hakama? I don't imagine there
          > would be a problem because it wouldn't look like a white belt, but...

          I wouldn't think so, not in this case.

          Effingham
        • Jamie Norwood
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 3, 2002
            On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 01:41:45PM -0500, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:
            > Ii Saburou wrote:
            >
            > > I just want to tell you all about a wonderful 'first time' outfit that I
            > > saw at university. A young man by the name of Kinoshita came up to me at
            > > the LAST Atlantian university and asked about Japanese clothing, and I was
            > > able to point him to some references via the list. I don't know if he is
            > > subscribed to this list or not, but I was very impressed.
            > >
            > > The hakama were of an olive green color, and of a nice looking fabric.
            > > The cut on both it and the kosode were very nice. It was a shame, but as
            > > he explained to me he had not finished the upper piece (I don't recall if
            > > he had said it would be a hitatare or a kataginu, but it would be of the
            > > same material as the hakama. He noted some problems and we discussed
            > > them, but they weren't anything obvious.
            > >
            > > I just think he deserves kudos, and the list deserves to know that we are
            > > helping some people in their endeavors.
            >
            > Spiff!
            >
            > I always rejoice when I see hakama that aren't black or dark blue. <G>

            On that note, I was a nice cherry at an event last weekend. I was wearing
            an off-white kosode, and a nice red hakama, with a hitatare of the same
            color/fabric. My tailor did make a few small mistakes, such as closing the
            arms where they should be open, but all in all it looked and felt good. :)

            Jamie

            > Effingham
          • Ii Saburou
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 3, 2002
              On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Jamie Norwood wrote:

              > On that note, I was a nice cherry at an event last weekend. I was wearing
              > an off-white kosode, and a nice red hakama, with a hitatare of the same
              > color/fabric. My tailor did make a few small mistakes, such as closing the
              > arms where they should be open, but all in all it looked and felt good. :)

              Omedetau gozaru! That sounds wonderful.

              Have no fear. Although my own personal tailor is likewise a clumsy oaf
              with little or no skill at such matters, I find that he seems to learn a
              little something every day and so have hopes such that I have not yet
              given up entirely on him. Likewise might I encourage you to continue to
              keep your tailor in good health and learning so that he might one day make
              for you rainments that should have enticed even Amaterasu from her cave.

              -Ii
            • Elaine Koogler
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 5, 2002
                Wasn't white the color worn for funerals? Or for other "death-related"
                activities (read seppuku)?? I've always avoided white in my garb because of
                this. And be VERY careful about anything that even remotely looks like a
                white belt. I once wore an unbleached muslin (actually between off-white
                and a light beige in color) and was severely criticized by several folks,
                some Knights, some not.

                Kiri

                On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Bryant wrote:

                > Spiff!
                >
                > I always rejoice when I see hakama that aren't black or dark blue. <G>

                Speaking of which, white seems to be a good color. Do you think the
                'white himo' problem exists with white hakama? I don't imagine there
                would be a problem because it wouldn't look like a white belt, but...

                -Ii

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=171403.1875018.3373303.1501206/D=egroupweb/S=17057675

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • Ron Martino
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 5, 2002
                  > Wasn't white the color worn for funerals? Or for other "death-related"
                  > activities (read seppuku)?? I've always avoided white in my garb because of
                  > this. And be VERY careful about anything that even remotely looks like a
                  > white belt. I once wore an unbleached muslin (actually between off-white
                  > and a light beige in color) and was severely criticized by several folks,
                  > some Knights, some not.
                  >
                  > Kiri

                  Yeah. It's especially hard to dye leather a decent white, so most
                  knight's belts end up looking that yellowish undyed leather color after
                  awhile. Anything like unbleached muslin, 'cream' fabric, etc. is going
                  to look whitish. Think primary colors - Sherman Williams may have 4000
                  colors, but the SCA has (what?) 8 or so...

                  Entirely white hakama would sidestep the problem, I think, because
                  there wouldn't be the contrast between the ties and the rest of the
                  garment. But as a general rule, it's better all around to just avoid the
                  potential for confusion.

                  Yumitori
                  --

                  yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com
                • Ii Saburou
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 5, 2002
                    On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Elaine Koogler wrote:

                    > Wasn't white the color worn for funerals? Or for other "death-related"
                    > activities (read seppuku)?? I've always avoided white in my garb because of
                    > this. And be VERY careful about anything that even remotely looks like a
                    > white belt. I once wore an unbleached muslin (actually between off-white
                    > and a light beige in color) and was severely criticized by several folks,
                    > some Knights, some not.
                    >
                    > Kiri

                    Actually, white seems to show up fairly often. By the same token, 'black'
                    is associated with death in most of western cultures, but do we avoid it?
                    Our formal wear (tuxedos) are what color, usually? How about dress shoes
                    and socks?

                    Just because a color has a symbol doesn't mean that it wasn't used. Truth
                    be told, white is nice and easy because it is the color of the fabric
                    before you do anything to it, as I understand it anyway.

                    White is a wonderful color to use.

                    -Ii
                  • Chris
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 6, 2002
                      Heehee! You realize that I'm flying high now that I've gotten a compliment
                      on my garb... I'm definately going to make more and more now! I'm planning
                      on making a hitatare out of the green fabric, then maybe a kataginu out of a
                      red or blue fabric. So anyway, thank you all! BTW, I'm going to make
                      another kosode, one that actually works around the armpits rather than
                      binding up and getting all freaky. Oh, and there's a fabric store in
                      Roanoke that has a lovely dark blue fabric with white flowers (I believe)
                      resist dyed on. It's a very simple pattern... but is it period?

                      Anyway, thank you again!

                      Kinoshita Yoshimori

                      on 2/3/02 1:43 PM, Ii Saburou at logan@... wrote:

                      > I just want to tell you all about a wonderful 'first time' outfit that I
                      > saw at university. A young man by the name of Kinoshita came up to me at
                      > the LAST Atlantian university and asked about Japanese clothing, and I was
                      > able to point him to some references via the list. I don't know if he is
                      > subscribed to this list or not, but I was very impressed.
                      >
                      > The hakama were of an olive green color, and of a nice looking fabric.
                      > The cut on both it and the kosode were very nice. It was a shame, but as
                      > he explained to me he had not finished the upper piece (I don't recall if
                      > he had said it would be a hitatare or a kataginu, but it would be of the
                      > same material as the hakama. He noted some problems and we discussed
                      > them, but they weren't anything obvious.
                      >
                      > I just think he deserves kudos, and the list deserves to know that we are
                      > helping some people in their endeavors.
                      >
                      > -Ii

                    • Elaine Koogler
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 7, 2002
                        Well, certain forms of resist dying were, as well as early types of block
                        printing. It also depends on what your period is. My persona is very late
                        in the SCA period.Momoyama.and so it is. You could probably get away with
                        it.

                        Kiri

                        Heehee! You realize that I'm flying high now that I've gotten a compliment
                        on my garb... I'm definately going to make more and more now! I'm planning
                        on making a hitatare out of the green fabric, then maybe a kataginu out of a
                        red or blue fabric. So anyway, thank you all! BTW, I'm going to make
                        another kosode, one that actually works around the armpits rather than
                        binding up and getting all freaky. Oh, and there's a fabric store in
                        Roanoke that has a lovely dark blue fabric with white flowers (I believe)
                        resist dyed on. It's a very simple pattern... but is it period?

                        Anyway, thank you again!

                        Kinoshita Yoshimori

                        on 2/3/02 1:43 PM, Ii Saburou at logan@... wrote:

                        > I just want to tell you all about a wonderful 'first time' outfit that I
                        > saw at university. A young man by the name of Kinoshita came up to me at
                        > the LAST Atlantian university and asked about Japanese clothing, and I was
                        > able to point him to some references via the list. I don't know if he is
                        > subscribed to this list or not, but I was very impressed.
                        >
                        > The hakama were of an olive green color, and of a nice looking fabric.
                        > The cut on both it and the kosode were very nice. It was a shame, but as
                        > he explained to me he had not finished the upper piece (I don't recall if
                        > he had said it would be a hitatare or a kataginu, but it would be of the
                        > same material as the hakama. He noted some problems and we discussed
                        > them, but they weren't anything obvious.
                        >
                        > I just think he deserves kudos, and the list deserves to know that we are
                        > helping some people in their endeavors.
                        >
                        > -Ii

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        Click Here!
                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=210675.1853748.3359285.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17057675
                        03:HM/A=806910/R=0/*https://www.consumerinfo.com/cb/yahooccms/form_online_a1
                        .asp?sc=14856015>

                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                      • mokurai
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 12, 2002
                          Greetings all,

                          I apologise for going OT with this but I am hoping someone out there can
                          help.

                          A young (12ish) lady has just come into our Shire. She is the daughter of a
                          SCAdian and is interested in getting involved. Her mother is Korean and she,
                          the daughter, would like to explore her Korean heritage in the context of
                          the SCA. I have offered to help, but have very few resources for Korean
                          stuff (unless she wants to know about Hideyoshi's invasion!).

                          Does anyone have any suggestions? My lady and I would like to set her up
                          with some garb and some reading materials.

                          I am grateful for your kind attention.

                          - mokurai
                        • Ii Saburou
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 12, 2002
                            On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, mokurai wrote:

                            > Greetings all,
                            >
                            > I apologise for going OT with this but I am hoping someone out there can
                            > help.
                            >
                            > A young (12ish) lady has just come into our Shire. She is the daughter of a
                            > SCAdian and is interested in getting involved. Her mother is Korean and she,
                            > the daughter, would like to explore her Korean heritage in the context of
                            > the SCA. I have offered to help, but have very few resources for Korean
                            > stuff (unless she wants to know about Hideyoshi's invasion!).
                            >
                            > Does anyone have any suggestions? My lady and I would like to set her up
                            > with some garb and some reading materials.
                            >
                            > I am grateful for your kind attention.

                            Well, I can check out the Sackler next time I'm there, but nothing
                            off-hand. I do believe there is an 'East Asia' yahoo!group for SCA, but
                            I'm not sure where, exactly.

                            Looking at a library catalog I find:

                            (Probably in English):

                            Title Rapt in colour : Korean textiles and costumes of the Choson dynasty
                            = Choson sidae ui Han'guk uisang kwa pojagi / Claire Roberts and Huh
                            Dong-hwa, eds.
                            Imprint Sydney, N.S.W. : Powerhouse Museum ; Seoul : Museum of Korean
                            Embroidery, c1998.
                            Descript 107 p. : col. ill. ; 31 cm.
                            Note Published in conjunction with an exhibition held at the Powerhouse
                            Museum, Sydney, Australia, Sept. 10, 1998-July 18, 1999 and at the
                            Immigration Museum, Old Customs House, Melbourne, Oct. 10, 1999-Feb. 27,
                            2000.
                            Bibliog. Includes bibliographical references (p. 107).
                            Subject Textile design -- Korea -- Exhibitions.
                            Costume -- Korea -- History -- Yi dynasty, 1392-1910 -- Exhibitions.
                            Alt author Roberts, Claire, 1959-
                            Ho, Tong-hwa.
                            Powerhouse Museum.
                            Han'guk Chasu Pangmulgwan.
                            Add title Korean textiles and costumes of the Chosun dynasty
                            Choson sidae ui Han'guk uisang kwa pojagi
                            ISBN 186317074X

                            Author Kim, Yong-suk.
                            Title Choson wangjo Han'guk poksik togam / Kim Yong-suk, Son Kyong-ja
                            kongjo = An illustrated history of Korean costume / by Kim Yong-suk & Son
                            Kyong-ja.
                            Edition Ch`op`an.
                            Imprint Soul T`ukpyolsi : Yegyong Sanopsa, 1984.
                            Descript 2 v. : col. ill. ; 38 cm.
                            Note Korean and English.
                            Bibliog. Includes bibliographical references.
                            Subject Costume -- Korea -- History -- Yi dynasty, 1392-1910 -- Pictorial
                            works.
                            Alt author Son, Kyong-ja.
                            Add title Han'guk poksik togam.
                            Illustrated history of Korean costume.

                            Author Yang, Sunny.
                            Title Hanbok : the art of Korean clothing / Sunny Yang.
                            Imprint Elizabeth, N.J. ; Seoul : Hollym International Corp., 1997.
                            Descript 212 p. : ill. (chiefly col.) ; 27 cm.
                            Bibliog. Includes bibliographical references (p. 206-207) and index.
                            Subject Costume -- Korea -- History.
                            Clothing and dress -- Korea -- History.
                            ISBN 1565910826

                            Author Kim, Kumja Paik.
                            Title Profusion of color : Korean costumes & wrapping cloths of the Choson
                            dynasty = Han'guk ui saek / Kumja Paik Kim and Huh Dong-hwa ; with
                            contributions by Yi Song-mi and Kichung Kim.
                            Imprint Seoul, Korea : The Museum of Korean Embroidery, 1995.
                            Descript 1087 p. : col. ill. ; 31 cm.
                            Note Catalog of an exhibition organized by Asian Art Museum of San
                            Francisco and Museum of Korean Embroidery, held at Asian Art Museum of San
                            Francisco, Seattle Art Museum and Peabody Essex Museum, Feb. 28, 1995-July
                            22, 1996.
                            Errata slip inserted.
                            Bibliog. Includes bibliographical references (p. 108).
                            Subject Costume -- Korea -- History -- Choson dynasty, 1392-1910 --
                            Exhibitions.
                            Textile design -- Korea -- Exhibtions.
                            Wrapping cloths -- Korea -- Exhibtions.
                            Alt author Ho, Tong-hwa.
                            Asian Art Museum of San Francisco.
                            Seattle Art Museum.
                            Peabody Essex Museum.
                            Add title Han'guk ui saek

                            Author Kim, Yong-suk.
                            Title Chosonjo malgi wangsil poksik / Kim Yong-suk cho = Korean royal
                            costumes of the late Choson period / by Kim Young-sook.
                            Imprint Soul T`ukpyolsi : Minjok Munhwa Mun'go Kanhaenghoe, 1987.
                            Descript 275 p. : ill. (some col.), port. ; 37 cm.
                            Note Korean and English.
                            Bibliog. Bibliography: p. 223.
                            Note Includes index.
                            Subject Korea -- Court and courtiers -- Costume.
                            Korea -- Court and courtiers -- Costume -- Pictorial works.
                            Costume -- Korea -- History -- Yi dynasty, 1392-1910.
                            Add title Korean royal costumes of the late Choson period.

                            (Probably in Korean--if she has Korean parents they might be able to help)

                            Title Han'guk poksik 2-ch`onnyon / [Kungnip Minsok Pangmulgwan yokkum].
                            Imprint Soul T`ukpyolsi : Sinyu, 1996.
                            Descript 303 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 28 cm.
                            Note Catalog of an exhibition held at The National Folk Museum, Oct.
                            19-Dec. 4, 1996.
                            Some captions also in English.
                            Title on cover in English: The Exhibition of history of Korean costumes :
                            special exhibition.
                            Bibliog. Includes bibliographical references (p. 295-298).
                            Subject Costume -- Korea -- History.
                            Costume -- Korea -- Exhibitions.
                            Alt author Kungnip Minsok Pangmulgwan (Korea)
                            Add title Exhibition of history of Korean costumes
                            ISBN 8980220065
                            (There is also a Japanese translation, if that would help)

                            Author Paek, Yong-ja.
                            Title Han'guk ui poksik / Paek Yong-ja cho.
                            Imprint Soul : Kyongch`unsa, 1993.
                            Descript 476 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 27 cm.
                            Note Colophon inserted.
                            Bibliog. Includes bibliographical references (p. 473-476).
                            Subject Costume -- Korea -- History.

                            Author Kim, Yong-ja.
                            Title Han'guk ui poksikmi / Kim Yong-ja.
                            Edition Ch`op`an.
                            Imprint Soul : Minumsa, 1992.
                            Descript 343 p., [6] p. of plates : ill. (some col.) ; 23 cm.
                            Series Taeu haksul ch`ongso. Inmun sahoe kwahak ; 64
                            Bibliog. Includes bibliographical references (p. 327-335) and index.
                            Subject Clothing and dress -- Korea -- History.
                            Costume -- Korea -- History.
                            Textile fabrics -- Korea -- History.
                            Textile design -- Korea -- History.
                            Dress accessaries -- Korea -- History.
                            Aesthetics, Korean.
                            ISBN 8937430649 :
                            8937430002 (set)

                            Author Kang, Sin-hang, 1930-
                            Title Changsogak sojang Karye togam uigwe / Kang Sin-hang, Yi Song-mi, Yu
                            Song-ok kongjo ; [p`yonjibin Yesul Yon'gusil].
                            Edition Ch`op`an.
                            Imprint Kyonggi-do Songnam-si : Han'guk Chongsin Munhwa Yon'guwon, 1994.
                            Descript x, 287 p. : col. ill. ; 27 cm.
                            Series Yon'gu nonch`ong ; 94-14
                            Yon'gu nonch`ong (Han'guk Chongsin Munhwa Yon'guwon) ; 94-14.
                            Bibliog. Includes bibliographical references (p. 146).
                            Note English summary (3 leaves) laid in.
                            Subject Marriages of royalty and nobility -- Korea -- Catalogs.
                            Korea -- Court and courtiers -- Costume -- Catalogs.
                            Court and courtiers in art -- Catalogs.
                            Costume -- Korea -- History -- Yi dynasty, 1392-1910 -- Catalogs.
                            Processions -- Korea -- History -- Catalogs.
                            Korea (South). Changsogak -- Catalogs.
                            Alt author Yi, Song-mi, 1939-
                            Yu, Song-ok.
                            Han'guk Chongsin Munhwa Yon'guwon. Yesul Yon'gusil.
                            ISBN 8971051302

                            Not sure if any of that would help or not.

                            -Ii
                          • michael A
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 12, 2002
                              mokurai
                              i have one book you might find of great interest
                              korean games by stewart culin. i picked it up based
                              on its mentioning chineses and japanese versions of
                              some of the games, but it has every type of game
                              imaginable:kites,fortune telling, archery,
                              cards,stone/pebble based games,dominos,dolls,tops,word
                              games,etc. it definatly is viewing the games in a
                              historical light and tracing back where they origanted
                              from. from a quick viewing most of the book appears
                              period, but with my limited knowledge of korea some
                              may be eaither pre or post period. it could be a great
                              source of amusing things to do at events.

                              you might also want to search through any myth/ story
                              books you have about japan. often they include a few
                              nonjapanese tales. most ive found are chinese but a
                              couple are korean.

                              ill keep an eye out for other things of interest.
                              -kiyohara
                              --- mokurai <mokurai@...> wrote:
                              > Greetings all,
                              >
                              > I apologise for going OT with this but I am hoping
                              > someone out there can
                              > help.
                              >
                              > A young (12ish) lady has just come into our Shire.
                              > She is the daughter of a
                              > SCAdian and is interested in getting involved. Her
                              > mother is Korean and she,
                              > the daughter, would like to explore her Korean
                              > heritage in the context of
                              > the SCA. I have offered to help, but have very few
                              > resources for Korean
                              > stuff (unless she wants to know about Hideyoshi's
                              > invasion!).
                              >
                              > Does anyone have any suggestions? My lady and I
                              > would like to set her up
                              > with some garb and some reading materials.
                              >
                              > I am grateful for your kind attention.
                              >
                              > - mokurai

                              http://greetings.yahoo.com
                            • mokurai
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 13, 2002
                                Thanks. I'll look that book up. Might be a good one for her to start with
                                (unless she's too mature for games ;-) ).

                                Can't say I recall anything Korean in my current books, but I'll look again.
                                The garb is the main concern now, however.

                                --- mokurai <mokurai@...> wrote:
                                > Greetings all,
                                >
                                > I apologise for going OT with this but I am hoping
                                > someone out there can
                                > help.
                                >
                                > A young (12ish) lady has just come into our Shire.
                                > She is the daughter of a
                                > SCAdian and is interested in getting involved. Her
                                > mother is Korean and she,
                                > the daughter, would like to explore her Korean
                                > heritage in the context of
                                > the SCA. I have offered to help, but have very few
                                > resources for Korean
                                > stuff (unless she wants to know about Hideyoshi's
                                > invasion!).
                                >
                                > Does anyone have any suggestions? My lady and I
                                > would like to set her up
                                > with some garb and some reading materials.
                                >
                                > I am grateful for your kind attention.
                                >
                                > - mokurai

                              • James Eckman
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 13, 2002
                                  Max Tilke's "Costume Patterns and Designs" has a couple of pages of
                                  costumes for Korea, 1 man and 1 woman. While a period isn't listed, the
                                  actual patterns may be useful for creating a costume. If you can't find
                                  a copy locally I can always take a shot with the digicam. (strictly for
                                  research purposes of course!) It does resemble the clothes my friends
                                  wore for the Korean part of their wedding and also earlier period ink
                                  paintings that I've seen so I suspect there hasn't been much change for
                                  certain garments. It might be possible to even purchase these without
                                  fabrication...

                                  Jim Eckman